RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
von Smallhaussen

At this time of the year?

Yes, I think you'll find that the tracks where that happens have developed a lip under the rail. It's not so much overwatering per se, but applying water too fast for it to be absorbed so you get run off to the inside due to the camber and the excess can't get away because of the lip and soaks in on the inside. Easily fixed too.

Perhaps they could plant " weeds" especially the deep rooting , drought resistant ,impervious to roundup type taking over my backyard like an invasion of triffids. Seriously though a mixture of plants/ grasses must be better for stability and moisture retention, a mixture different to what they have now.

23 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Unfortunately, you can't control nature's irrigation system or its application rates.

We did for decades when we had no irrigation no problems!! 

now in the last 10-15 years all we do is listen to overcharging suits (Turf Consultants) who have to justify their salaries by coming up with stupid ideas and miracle machines that cost thousands , most of these suits wouldn't even mow their own lawns 

On another note, for me from a punting point of view, the new practice of banking the turns is a huge turnoff.

While the argument can be made it is fairer for all horses , for me it is detrimental to punters.

The results are now pace related rather than positioning and for punters that is far harder to predict.

Ellerslie is the perfect example.... has become like Matamata

On 1/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, von Smallhaussen said:

Why is 'down on the rail' so off at this time of the year - especially Awapuni and Otaki recently.

Dont forget Sky City Auckland Cup Day Smalls :rcfe-like: Premier day you want a premier track , no bias. Why doesnt Ellerslie bring back the cutaway in the home straight? 

1 hour ago, 100 1 said:

On another note, for me from a punting point of view, the new practice of banking the turns is a huge turnoff.

While the argument can be made it is fairer for all horses , for me it is detrimental to punters.

The results are now pace related rather than positioning and for punters that is far harder to predict.

Ellerslie is the perfect example.... has become like Matamata

I thought Ellerslie on NYD was a perfect example of good horses being well ridden, winning - not a question of bias. Most winners came from 5th or 6th position at the 800m peg, except the Win by Platinum Invader, when he came from last at the 1200m, midfield on outer at 800m and hit front on the turn. Great rides. Track bias on the day is baloney. If they were all winning from leading then ok but I think great rides were the key - and having a horse good enough on the day. Winter Bride was ridden well in the Railway but was beaten by a better horse on the day. 

4 hours ago, L.J.Shannon said:

We did for decades when we had no irrigation no problems!!

We also had well maintained tracks that weren't over-raced and with good soild soil structures sustained. Also racing was scheduled so that it was mostly conducted on tracks suited to climatic conditions for the time of year. Irrigation systems have been around for half a century and I don't recall any issues attributed to them in the earlier part of that time.

3 hours ago, Trump said:

I thought Ellerslie on NYD was a perfect example of good horses being well ridden, winning - not a question of bias. Most winners came from 5th or 6th position at the 800m peg, except the Win by Platinum Invader, when he came from last at the 1200m, midfield on outer at 800m and hit front on the turn. Great rides. Track bias on the day is baloney. If they were all winning from leading then ok but I think great rides were the key - and having a horse good enough on the day. Winter Bride was ridden well in the Railway but was beaten by a better horse on the day. 

So why were all the horses racing on the rail disadvantaged?

Hardly fair? 

4 hours ago, Insider said:

Where they?

Its becoming harder to find places to hide from Cell towers on Holiday Sides, last time i walked the Cape Reinga track to Pandorra there was a bloody tower up on the ridge, welcome back :rcfe-like:

15 hours ago, Insider said:

Where they?

Yes or at least not advantaged....surely drawing 1 and being on the rail should be an advantage otherwise you end up in a situation like Awapuni on Sat.

At Ellerslie now the further the rail is placed in to the 'true' position the chances of the horses racing on the rail diminish..

Hence I believe on major days the rail should go out not in.

It is because of the camber on a tighter circumference the horses on the outer gain more momentum and also horses back on the rail have more chance of being held up.

If NZTR had bothered to spend some money on infrastructure instead of wasting it all on stakes for the last decade or so, they'd be irrigating with one of these like Flemington does and there wouldn't be a problem. You'd have the best of both worlds and not be arguing about the two extremes of irrigate with problems or don't irrigate with other problems.

image.thumb.png.9f459950f429801b0465b9e5bda21901.png

So from what some are whining about, the horses on the rail were disadvantaged. Imho they just weren’t good enough. Also, what’s to stop them from moving out a bit on the home turn - like all the good rides showed? The best horses on the day won the races. Simple.

6 hours ago, Trump said:

So from what some are whining about, the horses on the rail were disadvantaged. Imho they just weren’t good enough. Also, what’s to stop them from moving out a bit on the home turn - like all the good rides showed? The best horses on the day won the races. Simple.

Nobody suggested they didnt :rcf-thinking: 

The Day Mums jewel won in 1.08.39 if you werent near the fence you were pushing shit uphill, trailers , 3 back advantaged, Jan 1 was the opposite. Try watching the Races a little closer Trumpy . You see winning strips all the time in Aus racing and its no wonder the ‘better horses and jockeys’position themselves to take advantage. Simple

Following the beaten rails runners from the meeting and you struck the ‘unlucky’ :rcf-thinking: Valmur at $6.50 fixed straight off the bat, those who watched the replays of the meeting paid for their trouble :rcfe-like: