RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lamour

Dream Team

On 1/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, lamour said:

Haven’t had one of these competitions for a while.    Cost cutting measures by HRNZ ?

Has to be cost cutting. Surely. They had to fork out over a grand in gift cards for the most recent competition. 

I was fortunate enough to win some decent coin 3 or 4 times over the years, it was a good concept and provided some extra interest during the season. 

It would be good to see it come back sometime in the future. 

My husband and I enjoyed it and we'd get family to enter too so we had our own little competition even if not in the hunt for the main prize. Good way to get wider group of  people following horses round the country. Did prefer it when went on divvies as then it wasn't just picking AS team.

21 minutes ago, eljay said:

Surely they could get sponsorship?

Pretty sure Macmillan Feeds were involved in one part of it, but that may have been back in the "Harness Racing Weekly" days. 

Agree in general with it being cost cutting. I did win some over the years especially the early ones 20years ago.The prizes certainly reduced year by year to a point when participation dropped away. It did get a return as I always backed my stable and I am sure most entrants did.But as  Pink Floyd said just another Brick in the wall.... Let me think of accountant driven initiatives in harness racing ………….no competitions,no harness racing weekly,  make it harnessed only1 per month then withdrawn,no help keeping racing supplements in newspapers, no teletext gone,no free to air tv or advertising... no Friday flash race booklets not at supermarkets (in TABs that's great for attracting new punters (not) )cut down or out picnic grass racing over summer (cut out thousands of potential owners and bettors) so lets not be alarmed at fewer owners ,fewer bettors , fewer trainers and breeders. all because of very few entrepreneurs in HRNZ  SAD but true.