RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
joblow

Our Prime Minister

How sincere is the Rt Hon Mr John Key?

Is he the real deal? The true honest John? Or what?

More likely a charlatan than not.

Every time I see and hear this man I struggle to discern any level of sincerity, passion or emotion.

A robotic man, reading robotic words, penned by robotic speechwriters.

A populist who has the average naive NZer under a spell. A man that really just wants to pose for the cameras, is corrupted by power and merely wants to ensure he gets voted back in come November. Not the sort of person we need running the country right now.

Time for him and his ventroloquist's dummy, Mr English, to step up and make some hard decisions and show the sincerity they both lack.

Time to do things for the country and not for themselves.

How likely? More unlikely than not.

ye haa i thought it was just me i dont think he,s sincere either he,s like a android.
you think he is a loser you want to have lived under thatcher, at least he is down to earth and can relate to the public. and he gets involved with people she would not have done the cat walk thing think yourself lucky. sorry did i say thatcher or hitler.

You don't have a very high opinion of the average New Zealander, do you, jb?

You forget that, as things stand, all Mr Key has to do to retain his job is to outpoll Phil Goff.

And Phil, for his all his earnestness, is an easy beat...

Whale Oil's blog puts it best:

Oh dear the echo-chamber, hate speech, lap-bloggers are going to be upset with the latest Roy Morgan poll, that despite their best wishes, hopes even, and dare I say it, prayers Labour is tanking.

The latest New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll shows the Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating has jumped 19 points to 133.5 with 59.5% (up 10%) of New Zealanders saying New Zealand is

He has sucked in the average naive NZer.

Count Sonny and Lee in that category. Two more of the 4m+ human sheep that live in this country

im not sucked in. beware the holy trinity the church the state n law.?

You don't have a very high opinion of the average New Zealander, do you, jb?

You forget that, as things stand, all Mr Key has to do to retain his job is to outpoll Phil Goff.

Whale Oil's blog puts it best:

Oh dear the echo-chamber, hate speech, lap-bloggers are going to be upset with the latest Roy Morgan poll, that despite their best wishes, hopes even, and dare I say it, prayers Labour is tanking.

The latest New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll shows the Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating has jumped 19 points to 133.5 with 59.5% (up 10%) of New Zealanders saying New Zealand is

Whale Oil is a dole-bludger. Takes hard-earned tax dollars from the State in the form of a sickness benefit - no wonder he has so much time to write novels of drivel.

Unfortunately John Key doesn't need any of our votes to stay in Parliament,at 50 by election time,he can float away and live on 20,000 a week for the rest of his life and not put a crease in his bankbook.And especially if he gives himself more tax cuts before he departs.All we can do is watch and weep.

Every time I see and hear this man I struggle to discern any level of sincerity, passion or emotion.

A populist who has the average naive NZer under a spell. A man that really just wants to pose for the cameras, is corrupted by power and merely wants to ensure he gets voted back in come November. Not the sort of person we need running the country right now.

Time for him and his ventroloquist's dummy, Mr English, to step up and make some hard decisions and show the sincerity they both lack.

Suck it up loser, because he will be around for at least another 2 terms.

That's how long it is going to take to get the country back on track after 9 years of Hellun and her sidekick Cullen.

But feel free to emigrate if you want, no great loss and could I suggest Libya may be suitable.

Really?

So Phil effectively does nothing vis-a-vis John Key in three years and you think he will keep his job after November?

Really?

Firstly I was indirectly quoting what your tory mate Hooton said on National Radio this morning so his words not mine and secondly it was prefaced with if not will or when.

It is more likely to be above that figure on election night and quite likely the Nats polling could well be overstated and come down come election night. That usually happens when parties record high figures like that in opinion polls especially governing ones.

Keeping it at the 2008 level would be a minimum not a target.

Only twice has a government in this country increased it's share of the popular vote and it's seats at an election - 1938 and 1951 snap election. Both were exceptional circumstances and they do not exist at present so the more usual pattern of opposition polling going up a bit and the government ones coming down - (Nats a bit, maybe a few points and the others imploding).

Key's announced plans for privitisation, cutting back on some social spending and services and the like won't help him that much and ACT's suddenly deciding to make mining in National Parks an article of faith is going to be a real vote winner just like the Nats found it to be before they dropped it. Their seabed and foreshore Act isn't going to help them amongst their core constituency either.

I suspect the main polling movement may come from the minor parties with NZF and Greens going up and the minor govt ones dropping substantially and the two major parties showing a slight increase in Labour's case and the Nats a slight drop on their 2008 results.

NZ politics does not actually reflect violent swings either way at election time generally. It used to look like that under FPP because a swing of just 2 - 4% would translate into a landslide of seats as in 1972 and 1975.

You could lose the popular vote by a few percentage points but have a majority of 10 or more seats as the "marginals" dictated the outcome. With MMP that massive swing between parties in terms of seats disappears and the small changes in the popular vote determine the outcomes.

The election is far from done and dusted as many might think

Suck it up loser, because he will be around for at least another 2 terms.

Are you really that confident? Things could easliy go pear-shaped for National by then. A world cup loss, earthquake victims getting pissed off after a slow rebuild/failed promises, cuts to other areas to pay for the rebuild. Plenty could happen by November which could turn the public off National.

Firstly I was indirectly quoting what your tory mate Hooton said on National Radio this morning

Ah, okies, I thought your quote was a bit (and unusual for you!) dogmatic, that's all.

I am sure you would concede that if Labour's vote stays at current levels (i.e. the same levels it has been at for yonks) Phil will be lucky to survive Election Night before he is rolled as Labour leader.

Similarly, yes, I am happy to concede that things might change between now and November. Hell, that's still 8 months away, after all.

The purpose of my quoting the poll results wasn't to suggest that they will necessarily be replicated in a General Election poll but simply to point out that, as of now, they are all of a similar mind: that National is the preferred Government leader and that Labour has made precious little headway.

As you say, they've got 8 months to turn things around ... but to turn things around in a way that is provably fiscally responsible, heh heh. The Government is running a zero-increase Budget this year (as it should, in my opinion. How say you?) and it is going to be very easy for Bill English to keep a running total of Goff promises as and when they are made and for Key, in debates, to ask of him 'And the money?, Phil, will come from where?'

Remember, too, that a clever John will have a few 'NO' signs ready to flash at the cameras during those debates when Phil is promising everything. 'Remember this from Phil's last coalition?', heh heh...

On a lighter note:

Head cleared after St Paddy's Day, yet? I'm not a Guinness fan but even I forced back a pint of the stuff, heh heh...

He has turned out to be a puppet,but didn't he take us all with his very cunning thought out words of self promotion pre-election time.

The guy is a fake and is obviously in collusion with another eunich in Chris Findlayson,have a good look at both of them and the way they talk,95% wishy washy bulls hit which sounds "wonderful and beautiful" to the easily influenced.

He has turned out to be a puppet,but didn't he take us all with his very cunning thought out words of self promotion pre-election time.

The guy is a fake and is obviously in collusion with another eunich in Chris Findlayson,have a good look at both of them and the way they talk,95% wishy washy bulls hit which sounds "wonderful and beautiful" to the easily influenced.

Showing his smart reasoning now on why he took Maori Party into coalition.This seashore bill about to be passed wouldn't had a dog show of being law without the offer of chaffeur driven cars and Wgtn houses for the whanau to move into with auntie an uncle.And they fell for it,hook,line an sinker.See what happens to the maori party once this bill is safely law.

i like him! he is a lovable prime minister ...and i don't see him going any where for a while! Its a tough job running a country! ya can't please everybody! Nothing bothers me with him, even when i didn't earn so much it didn't bother me or affect me....I am happy...

I think John would have been ruthless with Darren, whereas Phil cuts him a little dash.

You are suggesting that Key would disregard the concept of "innocent till proven guilty" and second guess the police inquiry. I would hope no leader would and Goff's action is perfectly consistent with that. If we are to assume guilt immediately then why bother with any inquiry in the first place. Just let someone in a position of authority make an arbitrary decision whether right or wrong.

Richard Worth was not even the subject of police enquiries. Key just said;

"Unacceptable. Piss off"

Goff lacks that steely decisiveness.

On another matter; our eldest daughter told us she had had dinner with Darren, Labour's pin up girl Jacinda and a farmer's daughter some months ago. Our daughter had thought that Darren and Jacinda would be a match made in heaven, but yesterday's developments have changed her mind.

i like him! he is a lovable prime minister ...and i don't see him going any where for a while! Its a tough job running a country! ya can't please everybody! Nothing bothers me with him, even when i didn't earn so much it didn't bother me or affect me....I am happy...

You may be but the argument should not over the most lovable person for PM but the party with the most appropriate policies and the PM's role is to oversee the implementation of them whether he is lovable, unlovable, handsome or ugly. Would you rather a grumpy democrat or a charming fascist as your leader. I know which one I'd choose. It's not a beauty or personality contest, it's about policy, philosophy and ideology.

My dislike of Key has nothing to do with his personal qualities but the policies and philosophy of him, his party and his government.

Countries have ended up with some awful outcomes when voting purely on whether they want a charming leader, or a strong one etc and don't scrutinise policies too carefully - Mussolini, Hitler, Berlusconi, Netanyahu, Bush, RD Muldoon and many others.