RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ludwig

Ricky May

2 minutes ago, 50 win no. 1 said:

God bless Ricky May.  A gentlemen and a giant of the harness World. Our thoughts and best wishes are with the May family and Ricky's many, many friends and acquaintances. 

Ricky is tough, a top man and a fighter, he will do his absolute best to win, thats what he does, my best wishes.

Driver Ricky May was flown to Dunedin Hospital last night, after collapsing during a meeting at the Omakau track in Central Otago.

He fell backwards, seemingly unconscious in the sulky, before falling to the ground.

The race steward's confirmed May had a heart attack.

He's reined nearly three thousand winners since he began racing in 1976.

I was on the road all day yesterday and never caught up with this tragic news about one of the sport's true gentleman until this morning. The harness racing community will be in shock, as will be many who've been involved in the wider racing industry. The racing community are great at rallying round at times like these and will be there for Ricky and his family for sure.  Great bloke Ricky and I wish him all the best for a full recovery.

3 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Great news to hear about Ricky May, he's well on the road to recovery, up and talkin to family etc....woohoo! great stuff Rickster!!!!

Cheers Iraklis

That's so great to hear Iraklis. Best New Year's news I've heard so far.  Speedy recovery Ricky. 

I have alway admired  how he works so hard, drives at so many meetings in the Canterbury area and many other areas,  thought I seen a while back he does farm work to, testament to the guy, great to hear he is recovering.Lets hope he gets back to full fitness and turns himself out for a good spell.

Update on RTM

May has had surgery to have a cardioverter defibrillator implanted in his chest on Thursday.

It delivers a shock through a wire which runs into a chamber of the heart in the event of any recurrence.

May said he didn't have a cardiac arrest and he has been diagnosed with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy – a condition where the heart muscles thicken even though the heart itself is healthy.

May has driven 2949 winners in New Zealand and wants to get to 3000, though he acknowledges he will probably travel less to race meetings.

"Yeah, I want to drive again. I didn't think I would want to after the initial shock of it all but now I have had a chance to think about it I don't want that to be my last race drive," he told the New Zealand Herald

Very lucky to get a second chance, many do not is a reality, this is the most important race he will ever win, good reminder to us all life is short and make the most of the time we all have, celebrate every day.Great to hear he will make a full recovery, and will be back, and words probably cant describe the huge effort by all who assisted him that day.