RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ludwig

South Island jumps season 2020

After last year's disappointing jumps season in the south, there were very serious high powered meetings to discuss the way forward.  With the new season on the horizon, I am curious to know from industry insiders what specifically is going to change to try and recover jumps racing in the south. Or have the good intentions of the meetings faded?

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

After last year's disappointing jumps season in the south, there were very serious high powered meetings to discuss the way forward.  With the new season on the horizon, I am curious to know from industry insiders what specifically is going to change to try and recover jumps racing in the south. Or have the good intentions of the meetings faded?

I think sadly there is no future for jumps racing in the South. There are only two realistic options: either drop jumping altogether, or concentrate solely on hurdling. I would give the later a go for a season or two, and run them through til early October so that firm trackers have some options. It might even help to full up some open stayers races as horses could alternate, as they sometimes do in Victoria.

7 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

And the obvious consequence of the end of jumps racing in the south, what happens to the Grand National?

Well since the CJC provides no lead up races and relies on other clubs to do the spade work, and most of the fields come from the north anyhow, the National meeting could either just carry on as it is relying on Northern horses or be dropped from the schedule.

39 minutes ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Lack of Jump Riders in the South is of concern too.

I agree. There are many problems with south Island jumps racing. Hence the reason for me raising the subject. Did these high level meetings come up with a definite plan of action, or was it just well meaning talk?

I seem to remember a big push for Jumping in South Island 8-10 years ago.

Stakes were raised/promised but lack of horses has seen it follow the trend of racing.....down.

As well as this lack of horses , the public seems reluctant to bet on the jumps so its a lose/lose.

Jumpers take more work/investment and with so few races available and terrible $10k stakes for many races owners and trainers are not keen.

A few trainers still battle on , but future looks very bleak for Jumps racing.

Be a big loss to SI racing  that GN meeting , in spite of the facilities situation at Riccarton it gets a decent three day crowd of racing people /punters / horse people in general , no piss heads and pretty  decent racing . It's on the way out though if northerners stop coming but if club put up decent stakes it surely will survive . As for rest of southern jumps it's on way out . Maybe earlier post is good idea , stick to hurdles as most hurdlers here dual purpose.

Sadly,  I have to agree with most of the above comment.

There was a good meeting held over National time, with much enthusiasm shown, and commitment from at least some of the jump riders present to make themselves available for schooling sessions.

It's clear [ and undisputed ]  that the industry cannot afford to put up 20k stakes for 4 horses to compete,  and along with the schooling days mentioned,  there was an indication that several northern trainers would be prepared to base a team of jumpers in the south for most of the season.  As well, several local trainers - me included - indicated that they would be happy to campaign any northern jumper for their connections.

Bearing in mind Timaru and Riverton are both on the closure list,  that leaves Wingatui and Riccarton only to host jumps races [ if there are any left by then ].     Riccarton indicated it would be prepared to hold hurdle races earlier in the season,  but -  we'll see.   One problem with Riccarton in that frame is that often tracks are still very hard in April/May,  which is not what jumpers want or need.

But, as Wheels said,  the problem is largely of our own making,  S.I trainers haven't been very pro-active in supporting the jumping game.  And for those who complain about lack of riders,  there seems to be no problem getting Asian/Mauritian riders out to work,  and the north island seems to have little problem with UK riders either.    

Andre Klein did try to get English lads out here for their off-season,  it worked reasonably for a short time,  but these boys need employment.  They can hardly be expected to sit on their hands for one ride a month.    As Charlie Wallis said to me,  I didn't expect a red carpet,  but why the hell would I want to come out to ride someone's breakers for $400 a week.  I'd have been better off staying at home.  The idea petered out.

There are bigger stables who regularly have overseas staff,  the ball is in their court. ....but typically,  no action,  just complaints.

The young man who works for me is English, a former jump rider and very capable all round.  If I [ with my very small operation ] can manage to employ someone like him,  others certainly can.  There are plenty available.