RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ludwig

Kurow

17 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

There is nothing actually wrong with the programming of 5 meetings in 9 days as long as there are enough horses to go around, and there are in the South, they just have to be used properly. Although it must be remembered that most of the horses are in Canterbury, whereas most of the race meetings are in Otago Southland for several months at this time of year. As I mentioned above, 28 horses were nominated for a maiden 1,200m at Timaru and only 14 got a start. 22 were nominated for a maiden stayers at Waikouaiti and only 12 will get a start. That shows gross inefficiency in the use of available horse resources. And surely horse resources are the most important thing in racing.

I think the most dramatic change I would suggest during this period in the south is for Timaru to race on New Years day with a feature race meeting.This would give the top tier of horses a chance to race at Wingatui and then Timaru a week later for decent stakes. I base this on the fact that most of the horses come from Canterbury, and Timaru is the only club in the country with several race meetings and no feature meeting. I found it a bit sad that Andrew Carston had to take Red River Rock to Awapuni pre xmas for a low grade race as there was nothing worth waiting for in the South over Xmas. Many of the better Canterbury horses don't race over the holiday period as there is nothing for them.

And at that Timaru meeting there needs to be a 2yo race and probably a 3yo fillies race, the latter probably over 1,200m; I would run the Wingatui 3yo race over 1,400m. For over 100 years Wingatui used to run the Champagne Stakes on Boxing Day, but they seem to have given up on 2yo racing altogether in Otago (no McLean Stakes anymore either). With the rise of syndication there needs to be 2yo opportunities in the South. Remember that Timaru used to run twice during this period; 28th and 30th and one of the features was the Show Gate Stakes for fillies over 1,600m.

I would go Wingatui, Kurow, Waikouaiti, Timaru, Omakau. Kurow never used to race today, they always used to race after New Year. Interestingly, the pattern used to see Wyndham and Waikouaiti race on New Year's day. Southland the following day, Kurow on the 4th, Southland again on the 5th, Reefton the 6th, Kumara and Omakau on the 9th, or thereabouts, Hokitika and Omakau on the 11th. That pattern probably wouldn't work today.

I am not a fan of this modern idea of forcing any decent 3yo in the south to follow the pattern of racing through the Gore, Wingatui and Southland Guineas. That is hardly ideal for all 3yos. That filly of the Tylers has already won over 2,200 so she has absolutely nothing to aim for in the South.

Just imagine what sort of field Omakau would get for a $30,000 race for horses that were maidens in mid December.

There are lots of subtle changes, and some not so subtle, that would benefit racing in the South, but sadly there is no motivation or leadership these days.

Good ideas...maybe not all workable,  but the thinking is there.  I remember when Dunedin and Timaru were on consecutive days,  Show Gate lined up on both to take on the Dunedin Cup [2400] and the Timaru Cup [ 1600].    What a horse.

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Good ideas...maybe not all workable,  but the thinking is there.  I remember when Dunedin and Timaru were on consecutive days,  Show Gate lined up on both to take on the Dunedin Cup [2400] and the Timaru Cup [ 1600].    What a horse.

I was there when Show Gate won her Timaru Cup. I seem to recall it was one of the first cups run over 1,600m. I think it used to be a stayers race. I recall Gateman winning the cup a year or two earlier when it was run over ground. Of course, my memory might be totally wrong.

5 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Was speaking to the President,  he said he had extended a personal invitation to Mr Saundry to attend....but no sign of that personage.

It was super day of racing,  the fields were competitive - as alluded to - the weather pleasant and mild,  games and competitons for the many children on course,  just a great atmosphere.

Food vans galore...only complaint was that I couldn't find any cherries for sale on course.......

Did the president indicate their strategy for going forward ? Or are they accepting the "inevitable"?

1 minute ago, Ludwig said:

Did the president indicate their strategy for going forward ? Or are they accepting the "inevitable"?

I think they are going to do their utmost to retain their date.

Of course,  regardless of what happens with asset acquisitions in the future,  NZTR has got all the clubs f##ked anyway,  they only have to deny them a licence to race.

6 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Was speaking to the President,  he said he had extended a personal invitation to Mr Saundry to attend....but no sign of that personage.

It was super day of racing,  the fields were competitive - as alluded to - the weather pleasant and mild,  games and competitons for the many children on course,  just a great atmosphere.

Food vans galore...only complaint was that I couldn't find any cherries for sale on course.......

I doubt it will be closing , NZTR will soon start to row backwards quicker than an Olympic eight , settle for a win with Waimate, Wyndham  and Hoki closing ,  tweak a bit here and there , no all weather tracks , battle on for 10 more years until another review . It's a 1.10 at Ladbrokes price boost not a lot will happen  either way , it has all the hallmarks of nothingness imho .

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

I think they are going to do their utmost to retain their date.

Of course,  regardless of what happens with asset acquisitions in the future,  NZTR has got all the clubs f##ked anyway,  they only have to deny them a licence to race.

Top run by yours in last by the way , it's a tidy horse you and your owners have , we'll done .