RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

ALEXANDRA PARK IMAGERY

How very sad to see the images of Alexandra Park , I couldn't see ONE single person in either the Main Stand or the Members , half or maybe less finished buildings ( I was close to buying one of the better apartments ), The best infield indicator in the southern hemisphere lying idle , presumably ready to be demolished for some awnings perhaps advertising a scrap metal dealer or a second hand car franchise ?? How bloody arrogant......... If you don't bring your Iphone you will have to find a TV monitor circa 1991 or try and read the small indicator board for dividends.

Fortunately I can recall the 70's and 80's but that only makes it worse.

Track has been downgraded to extinct  :rcf-cowboy:

We were at Top of the Park, best seats in the house?  Hopeless if you happen to have chosen it and also have a horse racing?  That infield indicator board is a huge loss and needs to be restored immediately, the screen does NOT replace its function.

All the guys I met were  having a great time.we need more of them.its an entertainment business I walked the dog ponsonby road midnight.noisy  there. Go to head quarters on viaduct best joint in auckland it was noisy there.

We don't want the trots to become a morgue or a library.it was always going to be a difficult night..young people want noise action and we want them.

it is a tough gig Auckland trots.trying to get people there 40 nights a year. I bet if you put the same rock band at the same place every week it would  the crowd at the last one wouldn't be big.

We see restaurants go broke every week.

We need  Leo Molly to put the a headquarters at the atc charge him no rent and give him a 1k make it 2 betting voucher every week. I'm serious.

Maybe a topless bar.im serious.the greens or the Christians etc will stand outside and protest that would get us a few  more. Trouble with that is I'd miss every race.

Calling Leo Molly  help.

I'm getting old Tim.    Fun - yes  Noise - yes Drunkardness - no.      Couldn't even hold conversation to person sitting next to me.     I hope there was no booze bus nearby after the last.     Still lots cars parked when I went home and revelry was to continue for another hour or more.     Totes on ground floor closed before the last race finished so had to go to the TAB to collect (if you were that lucky) giving the impression the club not interested in servicing their core business.       I just hope over the silly season they don't get "done" for serving intoxicated patrons.            

We had a horse racing at ATC last Fri and it was quite cool weather compared with recent days so was best inside. I found it a very pleasant night. Noise at normal levels in the 'owners' lounge and downstairs where we hang out and service was good. Barn over 1/2 empty with tiny fields. Can't expect lots of harness fans to turn up on run of the mill night when just had Interdoms and we've Group race meetings at Cambridge & Auckland over the next week or so.

Agree need to think out of box to get people to track and get income for club. But the tricky thing is to keep members and harness fans happy. Didn't go down to Cup week this year for 1st time in decades as since loss of public stand Cup day now just an endurance effort out battling the elements and party goers. Have had horses racing in past which made effort ok but always felt Addington was poor looking after visiting owners, even when winning on Cup day or had horse in Group 1 race.

Said it before but I'll say it again. Marketing. Despite the plaques on the wall, nobody within ATC seems to have any idea about marketing the product to appeal to a new audience.  The already covered audience are getting older and going less often. Despite my interest in harness racing I'll be at Ellerslie Boxing Day where I have an interest I hope will give me a better return.

37 minutes ago, tim vince said:

To be fair arc big days are big but the rest more  security than patrons.

Coupled with tote operators who dont know punting and deaf in most instances we are heading for trouble this year, im very patient ,and prepared when dealing with them but others not so particularly those half cut  knowing less :rcf-tongue-2: Its time to simplify betslips , and especially around the party

2 hours ago, tim vince said:

To be fair arc big days are big but the rest more  security than patrons.

The security presence on the big days now is becoming total overkill. The clubs are so scared of the alcohol authorities and their scare tactics. I went to the ChCh wine festival a few weeks ago and the security and police presence was very low key, and the crowd was well behaved. Must cost some of the clubs a fortune now they are running a big party rather than a race meeting.

14 hours ago, Blue said:

Said it before but I'll say it again. Marketing. Despite the plaques on the wall, nobody within ATC seems to have any idea about marketing the product to appeal to a new audience.  The already covered audience are getting older and going less often. Despite my interest in harness racing I'll be at Ellerslie Boxing Day where I have an interest I hope will give me a better return.

Has been an ongoing problem for years. Employing people with no clue. The previous CEO was more interested in her pet real estate development than anything to do with racing so no doubt the efforts, such as they were, were directed there.

8 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Has been an ongoing problem for years. Employing people with no clue. The previous CEO was more interested in her pet real estate development than anything to do with racing so no doubt the efforts, such as they were, were directed there.

To be fair her board allowed  the project so she should not take all the rap.

Similar situation and cash losses by a former NZ Met CEO perhaps.

Greg

Interesting thread. Went on Interdom's night. Perched up on yellow seats next to Epsom balconies. Got kicked out of there because we weren't dining or something - had no intention of pinching average nosh! Same as ARC, more security than punters. Those seats were empty all night. Apart from one drunk chap having a snooze. 

Went to infield and sat on bean bags. Acceptable but we left after pacing final. 

They do seem uninterested in attracting the casual race goer. 

I know I know I know. Provide horses every meeting .get kicked of the stairs when they  h have a crowd of more than 3 but let me in the freezing depths of winter. No good vantage points to watch your horse race other than  there.best  u find me and let me shout you.im where the suits ain't.

Excellent viewing top level of stand next to barn at ATC - whole track with no blocks to view (it is were the tv cameras are sited). But getting there nowadays not intuitive and you have to move briskly if your horse wins to get down for your photo.

I don't mind the noise Tim (unless the noise maker is within arms length of me) but surely the fans can hush a little when the race is on.      Believe it or not some people actually go to the races for the races!      I can swear with the best of them, but it does wear a little thin when drunk females no older than 15 or 16 let's fly with a string of expletives at the top of her lungs.   And unfortunately they get served at the bar all day in contravention of the liquor laws - any money taken is fair game.