RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
edor

training fees

Advice; don't go shares with a trainer as you are locked in and at their mercy and for as long as they like,unless you get out early at a loss. Most extra good horses seem to show ability early and if they say it needs time then give it time in someone else's paddock, if it hasn't shown that early ability.

I

Stone wall 54 plus GST.very very cheap. I would think no profit in that.dont see many rolls royces in the trainers car park.mostly ladas or skodas.mind you running for 10k at ellerslie means  u have to be very rich to make it economic.to get a small fortune u better start with a large one.harness day in day out much better value.race every week no nom fees and money to start.come to the darkside

Very interesting topic.  Just shows how difficult it is to race horses. The costs are high but I think necessary. 

The stakes really need to be 12.5k in a minor midweek graduation meeting,  and minimum 22.5k on a higher class Saturday. The Sat stake should range from 22.5 to 40k before listed, group and open races which are more. 

The question is how to you pay for the stakes. Once you know the pie,  you split it to suit the calender. Other factors like carnivals, restricted age/sex races and travel costs e. g. Ruakaka need to be considered. 

Any business relys on regular sufficient income and restrained necessary cost prudence. Racing a bit different as it has a social fabric that encompasses generations. So it must financialy invest to remain socially relevant. e. g. Raceday events as against marketing on purely race product.

Every Raceday is a advertisement to the world about the quality of the NZ racing. Important because the dollars spent are turnovered multiple times, e. g. Trainers, breeders, staff, suppliers, truck drivers, vets, blacksmiths.. 

So my point is collect the data and hire people to plan the season as a whole. There should be a regional flow so owners and trainers can budget their stable expenses on a seasonal basis. Of course horses improve, break down, get sold etc but a basic expectation of stake levels and calendar flow is helpful. 

I take my hat off to industry participants of all the facets. Its bloody hard but we all have a passion for it. We just need some planning and honest appraisal.