poundforpound

Michelle Pickles

33 posts in this topic

She’s on the AM Show this morning... about a 15 minute spot...the subject being significant sporting achievements by NZ sports persons / teams this year 

Now given that the racing industry pays her salary ( for no obvious reason as she was a marginalised journalist with no future at TV 3 when Trackside inexplicably offered her a highly paid position for which she had no real qualifications ) anyway I digress, why could she not slip in a comment about Melody Belle, TA Shark or even TA / Jamie Richards 

She mentioned the women’s rowing eights for example, and no one has heard of them

She’s a joke and has no loyalty to, or passion for, the industry that feeds her 

Exactly.   How in God's name she ever got the job.........     She  had been life long  friends with a relative of mine but they hadn't seen each other for awhile.   I had to tell relative that  she had landed this position, their first comment was "       What  ??  she  never showed any interest in horses and wouldn't know the first thing about them "     Just a well paid gig, and no ties to the industry.

The sooner you realise that the Racing Board is not about racing, its all about sports, then you wont be disappointed. She's a lightweight no matter who she represents.

What we need to do is get the ownership and rights of the Tote back into racing's hands. We are being hijacked piece by piece

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

She’s on the AM Show this morning... about a 15 minute spot...the subject being significant sporting achievements by NZ sports persons / teams this year 

Now given that the racing industry pays her salary ( for no obvious reason as she was a marginalised journalist with no future at TV 3 when Trackside inexplicably offered her a highly paid position for which she had no real qualifications ) anyway I digress, why could she not slip in a comment about Melody Belle, TA Shark or even TA / Jamie Richards 

She mentioned the women’s rowing eights for example, and no one has heard of them

She’s a joke and has no loyalty to, or passion for, the industry that feeds her 

So true! She has been on that show before but, to my knowledge, never mentioned racing. Thus, the best horse since Sliced Bread started - Winx, never got a mention on mainstream TV until her last 2-3 races.

If it isn't in the Job Description of everybody employed in the racing industry to promote racing at any opportunity, it should become a survival instinct.

Most of these appointees sign up because they are brainwashed into thinking the TAB or Racing Board is a $2.5 billion business. Off course being part of a $2.5 billion business with all its perks and extra salary is far more attractive than being part of a 1/2 billion dollar enterprise. THere are still long time racing office holders who can't seem to comprehend how the size of a businesses is measured especially a gambling business.

Step one is to get the false belief of $2.5 billion out of the equation once and for all.

Racing is falling off mainstream news , I read article by decent sportswriter the other day about sport heading to Saudi for big money , sportwashing they are calling it ., As he listed the sport events hosted or due to be hosted  including  a small cycle event I thought he must mention the new big flash race meeting in Feb but not a mention . 

However he not paid to boost racing PR . 

- If my memory recall is correct, I'm sure Cindy Michener once worked for Lion Breweries in the 1990's when they were in Khyber Pass Rd, Auckland prior to the removal of the people of New Zealand's Captain Cook Statue which stood proudly at the gates of the former Cooks Brewery - all of which have now been demolished courtesy of Auckland University purchase of that land - much of which is boring old CARPARKING - just a little background history all linked in together in roundabout ways

in addition I do know first hand that Lion Breweries in that era were determined to get a foot in the door & knock Dominion Breweries off their perch in Racing so they could dominate the Racing industry market,

Chris WEAVER ex Auckland Racing Club, Ellerslie is also ex Lion Breweries.

LB also had stand down period of 12 months before been allowed to join competitors company.

18 hours ago, meomy said:

- If my memory recall is correct, I'm sure Cindy Michener once worked for Lion Breweries in the 1990's when they were in Khyber Pass Rd, Auckland prior to the removal of the people of New Zealand's Captain Cook Statue which stood proudly at the gates of the former Cooks Brewery - all of which have now been demolished courtesy of Auckland University purchase of that land - much of which is boring old CARPARKING - just a little background history all linked in together in roundabout ways

Meomy   You have brought back wonderful memories talking about Lion Breweries .I know its off subject but please let me tell you about Lion Breweries and the much loved  Captain Cook Hotel in Khyber Pass .In the good old days in the 60"s and 70"s the  Capt .Cook was a great pub ,mates who used to work at LB used to go straight to the pub for a drink in the morning .Their used to be a back door that went straight thru to LB factory ,the beer was tapped in direct from LB and it was the best drop of beer on the planet .We used to go there on Saturday morning ,the Capt Cook opened I think it was 7 in the morning bloody great, more beer came out thru the back door  and out the front door it might have been easier to put in a conveyor belt  .At 11 we then went to the Royal George on the corner till about 3 and back to the Glen Innes for the rest of the day .Oh life was so simple the good old days Cheers BH

19 hours ago, meomy said:

in addition I do know first hand that Lion Breweries in that era were determined to get a foot in the door & knock Dominion Breweries off their perch in Racing so they could dominate the Racing industry market,

Chris WEAVER ex Auckland Racing Club, Ellerslie is also ex Lion Breweries.

LB also had stand down period of 12 months before been allowed to join competitors company.

They were indeed. Used to be sponsor of the Auckland Trotting Cup in late 90's which I got them to relinquish so we could maximise the income from the event and the Cup Carnival as a whole. They were paying us peanuts.

1 hour ago, bloke said:

Weaver! Moved The Auckland Cup to a Wedneday in March  and claimed that it would be the race to stop two nations. If the on course  crowd got any smaller there would have been just Weaver and The barman present on Cup Day.

Yeah move it back to its rightful place! JANUARY 1ST !!! :rcf-monkey:

10 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

They were indeed. Used to be sponsor of the Auckland Trotting Cup in late 90's which I got them to relinquish so we could maximise the income from the event and the Cup Carnival as a whole. They were paying us peanuts.

Well that race has certainly gone through the roof since Lion dropped out. Worth $250,000 this year. $600,000 just ten years ago. And sponsored by a gaming machine outfit.

20 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Well that race has certainly gone through the roof since Lion dropped out. Worth $250,000 this year. $600,000 just ten years ago. And sponsored by a gaming machine outfit.

What a sponsor pays and what the stake of the race is have no relation. 

There is actually two different things which management and marketing/sponsorship people seem to get totally confused about.

Let me give you a couple of examples:

1] Leo of HQ pays the Auckland or Wellington Racing Club $5000 as a naming write of a particular race and expects nothing more in return. [Probably a Listed Race at best]

2] Vodafone or any other big time corporate pays $150.00 a head for 250 people for the Derby [food and booze] and gets naming rights too. [Cost $37,500]

The club falls all over Vodafone [or anyone else] because they got $37,500 yet Leo's [HQ's] deal is 50 times better, let me assure you. [On the bottom line.]

Stupid clubs have prostituted themselves because of ineptitude and stupid management.

Just my opinion.

Liz 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, Boss Hogg said:

Meomy   You have brought back wonderful memories talking about Lion Breweries .I know its off subject but please let me tell you about Lion Breweries and the much loved  Captain Cook Hotel in Khyber Pass .In the good old days in the 60"s and 70"s the  Capt .Cook was a great pub ,mates who used to work at LB used to go straight to the pub for a drink in the morning .Their used to be a back door that went straight thru to LB factory ,the beer was tapped in direct from LB and it was the best drop of beer on the planet .We used to go there on Saturday morning ,the Capt Cook opened I think it was 7 in the morning bloody great, more beer came out thru the back door  and out the front door it might have been easier to put in a conveyor belt  .At 11 we then went to the Royal George on the corner till about 3 and back to the Glen Innes for the rest of the day .Oh life was so simple the good old days Cheers BH

Boss Hogg, have you visited where the good ole Captain Cook breweries  and more recently Lion Breweries were in Khyber Pass Rd Newmarket once stood? It's got rats there and is just another car park.

Whoever signed that contract off from Auckland university needs to be held to account.

It's been barren land where once a grand building/ brewery stood.

All those great heritage marketing opportunities gone to dust.

At least Australian's have seen  the light & produce 19 Crimes ;)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, bloke said:

Weaver! Moved The Auckland Cup to a Wedneday in March  and claimed that it would be the race to stop two nations. If the on course  crowd got any smaller there would have been just Weaver and The barman present on Cup Day.

Bloke, is Weaver still going to the races at Ellerslie?

13 hours ago, meomy said:

Boss Hogg, have you visited where the good ole Captain Cook breweries  and more recently Lion Breweries were in Khyber Pass Rd Newmarket once stood? It's got rats there and is just another car park.

Whoever signed that contract off from Auckland university needs to be held to account.

It's been barren land where once a grand building/ brewery stood.

All those great heritage marketing opportunities gone to dust.

At least Australian's have seen  the light & produce 19 Crimes ;)

Hi Meomy  No havent been back the whole of Auckland has bulldozed the memories of us boomers.  On the Saturday morning we would put our cars in the Newmarket car fair because it was the only place to get a park .The Captain Cook had men there and a few women who were larger than life and the long bar should have been saved as should have been the building .Your right Meomy in the 70's in Sydney was the toughest union leader ever  called Jack Munday he would not let them bulldoze the " ROCKS" area and never flinched in what it meant to keep Sydneys heritage and he won every battle .Imagine if they had kept those old pubs in Auckland  it would be worth a trip up there ,instead it is a boring soulless city with electric scooters .Love the good old days Cheers BH

On 12/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, Insider said:

There is actually two different things which management and marketing/sponsorship people seem to get totally confused about.

Let me give you a couple of examples:

1] Leo of HQ pays the Auckland or Wellington Racing Club $5000 as a naming write of a particular race and expects nothing more in return. [Probably a Listed Race at best]

2] Vodafone or any other big time corporate pays $150.00 a head for 250 people for the Derby [food and booze] and gets naming rights too. [Cost $37,500]

The club falls all over Vodafone [or anyone else] because they got $37,500 yet Leo's [HQ's] deal is 50 times better, let me assure you. [On the bottom line.]

Stupid clubs have prostituted themselves because of ineptitude and stupid management.

Just my opinion.

Liz 

Liz you are a moron, fact one, Leo doesn't pay $5,000 [ he told me ]  , Vodafone does not pay $37,500 , your source is a bit like you , fucked in the head !!!