RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

Racing Industry Bill

Yes. Good to see clubs in this position taking decisive action to preserve their assets for the communities that they belong to. A  much cheaper and less harrowing solution than fighting the pending legislation under the BORA where local councils are amenable.

The one coast track I've never been  to but Hokitika seems a tidy place the times I've passed through . That turn out the home straight looked lethal , scary watching on TV let alone riding it . I wouldn't have parked  a half decent car up against rails at that point risking 500 kgs piling through the front end dragging a running rail with them . Best race was the jock  riding the finish a circuit early a few years back , and the back to front loading last year . Coast racing , hope it survives . With the loss of Hokitika and by all accounts the family of pigs living  down back straight at Kumara it might be three days at Omoto imho the best coast track .

Went there once. Thought from the stand we just got up down the centre of the track from last on the turn. Then I learned about the finish line being on a 45 degree angle in the wrong direction! Ran third I think.

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The one coast track I've never been  to but Hokitika seems a tidy place the times I've passed through . That turn out the home straight looked lethal , scary watching on TV let alone riding it . I wouldn't have parked  a half decent car up against rails at that point risking 500 kgs piling through the front end dragging a running rail with them . Best race was the jock  riding the finish a circuit early a few years back , and the back to front loading last year . Coast racing , hope it survives . With the loss of Hokitika and by all accounts the family of pigs living  down back straight at Kumara it might be three days at Omoto imho the best coast track .

I dont think Omoto would cope with three days if it rains....Reefton would probably make itself available,  but we'll just have to wait and see.

Sadly, we'll never see those days again.  I recall Gene Sanderson having to get the bridle replaced at the mile start,  a barrier attendant put it on and flicked the reins over the horse's head, inadvertantly crossing them as he did so.

Poor Gene was right hand down as hard as he could,   but went straight ahead through the outside rail and into the carpark. 

The turn out of the straight was remodelled slightly after that.

The shambles last meeting with the appalling riding I think had a bit to do with the removal of the licence to race there.... not that the hierarchy needed much excuse.

Steering is a bit of a problem locally of late - with the exception of Kozzi Asano.

28 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

I dont think Omoto would cope with three days if it rains....Reefton would probably make itself available,  but we'll just have to wait and see.

Sadly, we'll never see those days again.  I recall Gene Sanderson having to get the bridle replaced at the mile start,  a barrier attendant put it on and flicked the reins over the horse's head, inadvertantly crossing them as he did so.

Poor Gene was right hand down as hard as he could,   but went straight ahead through the outside rail and into the carpark. 

The turn out of the straight was remodelled slightly after that.

The shambles last meeting with the appalling riding I think had a bit to do with the removal of the licence to race there.... not that the hierarchy needed much excuse.

Steering is a bit of a problem locally of late - with the exception of Kozzi Asano.

Kozzi Asano will surely be lost to SI racing if winners keep coming , must spend more and more time up north .

Yes that straight at Omoto would  take a pounding , everything 1400 up twice down it .Surely they cannot lose Kumara to pigs .

A few of us are sure Hokitika was listed as at Kumara for the Tuesday do you know why it's at Omoto now ? .

Westland have been obliged to race at Kumara before, and the results were disastrous.  Kumara is all about the party, the piss-up,  not the racing.  That works once a year,  but for other, less 'iconic'  days,  the busloads of potential drunks just won't turn up.  It works because it is unique,  and when it becomes less 'unique' and an ordinary raceday,  doesn't work.   The directive to race there was refused,  if an alternative wasn't accepted then the club wasn't racing at all.  No point.

Hokitika races were all about community,  a family day out.  Transferred,  not the same at all.   I hope, for the club's sake,  that it works this year at Omoto for them,  but this may be the last time they race.  Guess it depends on results,  and the general feeling of the Hoki locals.

A good mate of mine recently returned from ten years over in W.A.    She used to race a horse with me,  we had some fun - especially on the Coast..!    She went racing regularly over there,  from Ascot, to the red-dirt bush meetings which she especially loved.     Spectators rocked up in their campervans, racing was conducted under the auspices of W.A stewards, she said, so the rules were still adhered to.. a tin shed was the bar and everyone had a blast.  When the racing was finished everyone left on course gathered around the camping area, someone started singing and playing music, the black fellas came out of the bush and there were games of two-up,  etc.   She so misses the atmosphere of a raceday over there.   From the metropolitan to the bush,  she says, racing is fun.  Aussies make it fun.  Here,  it's dreary.  From the Hitler with the white coat on the gate to the bored and boring committees,  its not fun.   I'm so sad for how racing used to be,  she said,  and sad for you Kiwis. [  she obviously thinks of herself as an Aussie now...! ]  From the irreverent hard-case attitude that we used to have, too -  to the overt enthusiasm shown for all sport over there.  What's happened?  you lot sit around wringing your hands and do nothing.  Racing here is fucked.

i would have liked to have told her that there was a way forward,  just a bit of time and all will be on track for a better future,  but she would see through my insincerity in a flash.  

5 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Westland have been obliged to race at Kumara before, and the results were disastrous.  Kumara is all about the party, the piss-up,  not the racing.  That works once a year,  but for other, less 'iconic'  days,  the busloads of potential drunks just won't turn up.  It works because it is unique,  and when it becomes less 'unique' and an ordinary raceday,  doesn't work.   The directive to race there was refused,  if an alternative wasn't accepted then the club wasn't racing at all.  No point.

Hokitika races were all about community,  a family day out.  Transferred,  not the same at all.   I hope, for the club's sake,  that it works this year at Omoto for them,  but this may be the last time they race.  Guess it depends on results,  and the general feeling of the Hoki locals.

A good mate of mine recently returned from ten years over in W.A.    She used to race a horse with me,  we had some fun - especially on the Coast..!    She went racing regularly over there,  from Ascot, to the red-dirt bush meetings which she especially loved.     Spectators rocked up in their campervans, racing was conducted under the auspices of W.A stewards, she said, so the rules were still adhered to.. a tin shed was the bar and everyone had a blast.  When the racing was finished everyone left on course gathered around the camping area, someone started singing and playing music, the black fellas came out of the bush and there were games of two-up,  etc.   She so misses the atmosphere of a raceday over there.   From the metropolitan to the bush,  she says, racing is fun.  Aussies make it fun.  Here,  it's dreary.  From the Hitler with the white coat on the gate to the bored and boring committees,  its not fun.   I'm so sad for how racing used to be,  she said,  and sad for you Kiwis. [  she obviously thinks of herself as an Aussie now...! ]  From the irreverent hard-case attitude that we used to have, too -  to the overt enthusiasm shown for all sport over there.  What's happened?  you lot sit around wringing your hands and do nothing.  Racing here is fucked.

i would have liked to have told her that there was a way forward,  just a bit of time and all will be on track for a better future,  but she would see through my insincerity in a flash.  

Fact is we are now  well behind most of world on most things on raceday for race goers.  Facilities , betting product and atmosphere , all very average  . We still have pretty decent horses and horse people  which is good .Losing Coast circuit wouldn't improve the rest of it at all , it fact I know a fair few people who would really miss the annual visit . The racing imho is pretty good fun to nut out from punting perspective , plenty of different distances , classes and formlines . Bealey closed I have heard so that's a bugger , good halfway stop that .

11 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Beautifully written Pam. Personally I think some of those awful races in the NI yesterday posing as group races do more harm for the image of NZ Racing than the Coast circuit ever did.

Westland is just crapping on Owners , Trainers and anyone who is involved in the industry . Racing can just sit back and do nothing and eventually fold , the Messara recommendations are all we have and is racings last chance to better itself , when a club that has been supported by participants since 1866 pulls a stunt like this only deserve contempt . Any industry participant who has supported Westland in the past has just been crapped on .

The Westland Racing Club was established in 1866 and has raced at the current Hokitika track since 1884 , the founders the Westland  racing club would turn in their graves when they see their investment not used for  racing , this move is garbage .

22 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

The Westland Racing Club was established in 1866 and has raced at the current Hokitika track since 1884 , the founders the Westland  racing club would turn in their graves when they see their investment not used for  racing , this move is garbage .

I think they'd turn in their graves if they thought that the club had stood by and allowed the fruits of their labour to be wasted and not return a benefit to the community of Hokitika.

30 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I think they'd turn in their graves if they thought that the club had stood by and allowed the fruits of their labour to be wasted and not return a benefit to the community of Hokitika.

Spongers and appear to be ignoring their own constitution .

3.1 Objects of the Club 
(a) The objects of the Club are: 
(i) To hold and conduct race meetings and to promote, regulate and assist the sport of Horse Racing at the Club’s course at Hokitika or anywhere else in New Zealand.

Dissolution 
(a) The Club may be wound-up or put into liquidation by a resolution of its Members in accordance with the procedures (including any notice requirements) specified in the Incorporated Societies Act. 
(b) In the event of the Club being wound-up or put into liquidation in accordance with (a) above, the property and surplus assets of the Club after payment of the Club’s liabilities and the expenses of the winding-up must be disposed of in accordance with section 27 of the Racing Act, for racing, public, charitable, or other purposes in the manner that the Club, with the approval of NZTR, determines. 
(c) Without limiting (b) above, The Club will seek NZTR approval to dispose of surplus assets for the benefit of the residents of Westlan

It reads like their own constitution requires them to get approval from NZTR before any move is taken .

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

Westland is just crapping on Owners , Trainers and anyone who is involved in the industry . Racing can just sit back and do nothing and eventually fold , the Messara recommendations are all we have and is racings last chance to better itself , when a club that has been supported by participants since 1866 pulls a stunt like this only deserve contempt . Any industry participant who has supported Westland in the past has just been crapped on .

What utter crap 

11 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

3.1 Objects of the Club 
(i) To hold and conduct race meetings and to promote, regulate and assist the sport of Horse Racing at the Club’s course at Hokitika or anywhere else in New Zealand.

Dissolution 
(a) The Club may be wound-up or put into liquidation by a resolution of its Members in accordance with the procedures (including any notice requirements) specified in the Incorporated Societies Act. 
(b) In the event of the Club being wound-up or put into liquidation in accordance with (a) above, the property and surplus assets of the Club after payment of the Club’s liabilities and the expenses of the winding-up must be disposed of in accordance with section 27 of the Racing Act, for racing, public, charitable, or other purposes in the manner that the Club, with the approval of NZTR, determines. 
(c) Without limiting (b) above, The Club will seek NZTR approval to dispose of surplus assets for the benefit of the residents of Westlan

It reads like their own constitution requires them to get approval from NZTR before any move is taken .

A little extra . 31 may 2018 

Main sources of cash and resources .

The clubs mainline of revenue is industry funding  from the code which is used to defray the costs and expenses on the Clubs  race meetings .

FLAVEY REEVE  , chartered accountants .

So propped up for years and then they pull this stunt , yes just crapping on anyone in the industry who has supported them .

15 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

3.1 Objects of the Club 

Dissolution 

That's total BS. The club is not dissolving or in liquidation. They are about to run a race meeting (weather permitting) so the Dissolution section above is totally irrelevant. Learn to read.

29 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

3.1 Objects of the Club 

Oh and while you are learning to read, ask them to teach you how to turn the page so you can see all the Objects of the Club.

Screenshot 2019-12-15 21.11.29.png

9 minutes ago, Leggy said:

That's total BS. The club is not dissolving or in liquidation. They are about to run a race meeting (weather permitting) so the Dissolution section above is totally irrelevant. Learn to read.

The writing is on the wall and that's what this is all about , according to the accountant it's NZTR payments that keep them going .

The bottom line is they would rather give their asset to anyone other than to the industry and it's participants who have supported them for many many years , that makes them spongers in my book .

24 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

The writing is on the wall and that's what this is all about , according to the accountant it's NZTR payments that keep them going .

The bottom line is they would rather give their asset to anyone other than to the industry and it's participants who have supported them for many many years , that makes them spongers in my book .

Wrong again. It's the wagering revenue that is generated by clubs like this that over the years have provided the funds for NZTR to do that and for the most part for clubs like Westland, giving part of what they earned to other mostly larger clubs who couldn't support themselves or the stakes they offer. Going to be tough without them.

Once again a bunch of buffoons with very little intelligence doing things the way they've always done them and for some reason thinking that things will change. There are a number of intellectual assets that could be exploited as long as some intelligence was brought into the picture.

A racing club has rights, and had certain rights before Chittick, Aklin, Bettle, Hickton et al put a stop to them in 2003. This mob will go down as the administrators who seriously forked things up for all of us and anyone else involved. Chittick simply didn't get it, Aklin somehow missed prosecution for the pokie rorts that were going on (wonder how he got left alone), Bettle was a political stooge in there to do a job and Hickton needed to get to the $1b turnover to get his bonuses.

At this time a racing club had the right to operate their own tote, offering bets, under terms and conditions approved by the RIB, and be able to engage in inter track betting. A tote is a method or apparatus of offering bets but had to be overseen by either a member of the TAB or responsible person. A bet is described as a wager where the outcome is influenced by an element of skill and judgement.  Inter track betting meant betting on those meetings where the event was held at another venue. 

So what does that mean you might ask. Could it have meant that any race club could have set up a Race-ino where it could have offered anything that was a bet type, in any form, on any hardware or software format that could have included pokie type machines which were live coverage of horse racing and sporting events held at other venues 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Probably is the answer to this.  Could we still do it today?...probably is the answer to that. So the question would be why do we need a race course/ race club? The answer could be because we have the potential to improve the financial prospects of racing by not redeeming the right to accepting bet types on racing soil.

So what would we need to do to get this all going? The right to offer every bet available to us legally, a building with hot and cold running water, big sports/ racing presentation screens, Dolby stereo surround sound, comfortable seats, good food and drinks, and nice people making sure we're all comfortable.  What do we need to do to achieve that?....a race track with a building with electricity and running water, and the ability for a racing club to secure Capex in order to bring each club building up to scratch to that punters can view seriously good sporting events and racing in the comfort of a cinema/ casino style environment.

Now why were you agreeing to get rid of all the clubs?

16 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

How do NZTR payments keep a race club afloat? 

1 hour ago, Huey said:

How do NZTR payments keep a race club afloat? 

Well for starters NZTR will pay the stakes for the meeting in January $103,000 then the race day payments some where around 30k but the statement from the clubs accountant says it all .

Quote "  Main sources of cash and resources ."

"The clubs mainline of revenue is industry funding  from the code which is used to defray the costs and expenses on the Clubs  race meetings ."" 

The accountant is confirming that without a prop up from NZTR they couldn't survive .

There you have it and that's been going on for years and then they crap on the industry and participants who have supported them ..

20 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Well for starters NZTR will pay the stakes for the meeting in January $103,000 then the race day payments some where around 30k but the statement from the clubs accountant says it all .

Quote "  Main sources of cash and resources ."

"The clubs mainline of revenue is industry funding  from the code which is used to defray the costs and expenses on the Clubs  race meetings ."" 

The accountant is confirming that without a prop up from NZTR they couldn't survive .

There you have it and that's been going on for years and then they crap on the industry and participants who have supported them ..

Most clubs would derive large portions of funding for stakes and integrity services from central, if that's the criteria how many left .Against that hundreds of hours free labour and no doubt some free materials maintaining the place over decades .

I saw a bit of Ellerslie yesterday , that looked a soulless empty shell yesterday .