RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Stir Ups

Must confess I don’t know anything about greyhound racing. Yesterday I watched a dog at the Christcurch greys. After the pre race stir up it went absolutely ballistic rearing up and jumping around uncontrollably. It’s heart rate must have been elevated and the andrenalin racing. I wasn’t surprised to see it race poorly after jumping well. Can someone knowledgeable tell me the value of stir ups before a race? Thanks.

The idea Gubes is to give them a look at what they are about to partake in. I have wondered for years if some dogs are actually disadvantaged and as a result only uuse them when I have an underesponsive one at the races. I think it gives the handler some sort of confidence that it is rearing to go. I imagine the last thing you would want to do to a thoroubred is stir it up before a race, in fact if it was too stirred up it would probably be case for scratching.

Dogs have very good memories and the ones that have been to the particualr track they are about to race on before, probably get nil benefit from it and possibley some detriment.

I agree it should be available to the trainer as different tracks have different lures and to see and hear the difference before the race is important but once a dog has raced at a track they are generally OK from then on