RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
The Fokkers Nemesis

Matt Cross

By the end of today, Matt Cross will have called about 72 races in 8 days. He is an exceptional talent. Every caller makes mistakes, I don't think Matt has fluffed anything important this week - and even if he does, we should all recognise that race calling is an art, a demanding one done under pressure of immediacy and public expectation. Not many people are prepared to try it, let alone make a career of it. Best wishes to him, he will become one pf the best, and probably go on to a international career. 

"Standby....."

Matt's style and inaccuracies in his calls are enough for me to hit the mute button and just follow the colours if I have an interest.

The junior free for all (6 horse field) on cup day and the free for all on show day (both at Addington) weren't great.

But good on him for giving it his all and there is little doubt he will try his best to continually improve in what is a hard job to master and please the masses. "THERE'S A WIN!!!!"

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

"Standby....."

Matt's style and inaccuracies in his calls are enough for me to hit the mute button and just follow the colours if I have an interest.

The junior free for all (6 horse field) on cup day and the free for all on show day (both at Addington) weren't great.

But good on him for giving it his all and there is little doubt he will try his best to continually improve in what is a hard job to master and please the masses. "THERE'S A WIN!!!!"

bit harsh, Rusty, Matt's just getting started.

Whereas T. Lee still prattling on with his  "waaaaaaayy too good" / "swing and go" /after 20 years or more is definitely  mind-numbing and truly worthy of the mute button. As for the pathetic in-jokes with his sidekick Bevans Weeny, it's enuf to make you throw up.

1 hour ago, weasel57 said:

Whereas T. Lee still prattling on with his  "waaaaaaayy too good" / "swing and go" /after 20 years or more is definitely  mind-numbing and truly worthy of the mute button. As for the pathetic in-jokes with his sidekick Bevans Weeny, it's enuf to make you throw up.

Each to their own mate. 

Even Jesus had his haters. 

I love T Lee. He is waaaaaaay too good. 

16 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Even the experienced in top job miss things , how did Brett Davies just miss Pakistan Star pack a sad after 100 metres from inside gate just now .

The Beauty Generation bubble has burst too.

Yes that was unbelievable - "and the crowd roars as Athero takes the lead" - they roaring in the shock of Pakistan Star

On 11/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, chelseacol said:

Thankfully you never make a mistake Ted - its live that he calls it and the horse finished 5th.  As Whyisit mentioned she was in the call early so obviously you didn't listen to the radio call too well if you had to check the results after ...

Young bloke making a start ... give him a break eh

Just catching up on this thread.

Firstly I wasn't complaining about Matt Cross's calling Cheseacol. I was referencing re  Whyisit's post regarding Tinkalicious because I thought she must not have started.

They had jumped by the time I turned on the car radio to listen to the race so missed the first 200m of the call and upon watching a replay later she was mentioned once in the first 200m.

I specifically tuned in to listen to see how Janelle Millar's horse Tinkalicious  would go. Janelle is a friend and my wife has a share in a horse in her stable. It was also Janelle's first time of taking a horse down to Riccarton.  Therefore after not hearing Tinkalicious's name mentioned once during the majority of the commentary I listened to and then again listening carefully through the field after the line I had assumed she must not have started, hence why when I got home I checked to find out if she was in fact a scratching. 

If you read what I posted I never criticized Matt Cross at all. You have made an incorrect assumption.  

On 11/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, rdytdy said:

Just catching up on this thread.

Firstly I wasn't complaining about Matt Cross's calling Cheseacol. I was referencing re  Whyisit's post regarding Tinkalicious because I thought she must not have started.

They had jumped by the time I turned on the car radio to listen to the race so missed the first 200m of the call and upon watching a replay later she was mentioned once in the first 200m.

I specifically tuned in to listen to see how Janelle Millar's horse Tinkalicious  would go. Janelle is a friend and my wife has a share in a horse in her stable. It was also Janelle's first time of taking a horse down to Riccarton.  Therefore after not hearing Tinkalicious's name mentioned once during the majority of the commentary I listened to and then again listening carefully through the field after the line I had assumed she must not have started, hence why when I got home I checked to find out if she was in fact a scratching. 

If you read what I posted I never criticized Matt Cross at all. You have made an incorrect assumption.  

I stand corrected Ted - but you still hopped onto a post pointing out he made a mistake to repeat you heard it too (or didn't).

Pity you didn't tune in on time for the first 200m eh ?  ;-)

48 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I'm sure Reon would have mentioned Burletta to Matt. Even the best make mistakes.

And as soon as Trackside arrivedt his inaccuracies were soon unveiled despite his great voice IMHO

Greg

16 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

At least everyone knew who he meant with that one, just like Tony Lee's Cluden cock-up.

Back in the day in UK before SIS TV pictures were beamed in the bookies head office used to relay the racecourse commentary from on course so it was basically coming through the tanoy second hand . A  load of winners appeared like they had been dropped in by air force on right on the  line , or horse going clear after last drops out totally , used to drive punters insane .

On 11/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, weasel57 said:

As you said earlier, and the point I originally made Matt’s called are excellent but the hyperbole should be measured.

As for Bevan Sweeney, I wasn’t a fan originally but in the mold  of Mike O’Sullivan is an outstanding tipster and can read a race.

But the best thing about Sweeney is that clearly he doesn’t take himself too seriously and can have a laugh, which makes him perfect for the role ... he doesn’t need to worry about criticism from muppets like us. 

28 minutes ago, The Fokkers Nemesis said:

As you said earlier, and the point I originally made Matt’s called are excellent but the hyperbole should be measured.

As for Bevan Sweeney, I wasn’t a fan originally but in the mold  of Mike O’Sullivan is an outstanding tipster and can read a race.

But the best thing about Sweeney is that clearly he doesn’t take himself too seriously and can have a laugh, which makes him perfect for the role ... he doesn’t need to worry about criticism from muppets like us. 

Your dead right he no need to worry about us punters at all , but I'd be very very  worried about the accounts keeping of his employers if I were him , and the result of the next election .