RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
The Fokkers Nemesis

Matt Cross

Brilliant commentaries this week but the hyperbole pre and post race is giving me a headache.

The Couplands mile has just been run and the third horse was “brilliant”. Yesterday at Addington it was mind numbing.

Maybe just youthful enthusiasm but someone should have a word ... it’s television and less is always more.

But huge potential, kudos for that.

35 minutes ago, The Fokkers Nemesis said:

Brilliant commentaries this week but the hyperbole pre and post race is giving me a headache.

The Couplands mile has just been run and the third horse was “brilliant”. Yesterday at Addington it was mind numbing.

Maybe just youthful enthusiasm but someone should have a word ... it’s television and less is always more.

But huge potential, kudos for that.

totally agree..Matt is very articulate and accurate - the two most important factors spot on - just needs to tone down the over-enthusiasm for every winner. Catalyst, admittedly a very good early 3yo in Godzone,  is already an "equine superstar". Matt, you're great, just leave all the razzle-dazzle crap to the other Trackside boffins !

2 hours ago, weasel57 said:

totally agree..Matt is very articulate and accurate - the two most important factors spot on -

Try listening for Tinkalicious in the 

Race 6: VALACHI DOWNS CANTERBURY BREEDERS STAKES

Just to give the heads up she ran a clear 5th at the finish

Mrs Cubes rates the Crossmeister

Big boots to fill with the depature of Mark Mac the Aussie foresure whom was great

But one thing you cannot fake in life is passion.....and Matt Cross has it in spades....he loves the game and is passionate.....Cube Central says keep up the good work 

49 minutes ago, Cubes said:

Mrs Cubes rates the Crossmeister

Big boots to fill with the depature of Mark Mac the Aussie foresure whom was great

But one thing you cannot fake in life is passion.....and Matt Cross has it in spades....he loves the game and is passionate.....Cube Central says keep up the good work 

Agree, i do not believe we have lost anything with the departure of M Mac, this guy has the passion we need and i heard him say that he has 72 races to do over the week and he is just in his Twenties..I say take a bow.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Agree, i do not believe we have lost anything with the departure of M Mac, this guy has the passion we need and i heard him say that he has 72 races to do over the week and he is just in his Twenties..I say take a bow.

Totally agree Midget..........I don't know what happened to Tinkalicious but when I heard this very accurate and articulate and passionate caller I thought WOW !!!

This is something very special here ....can we appreciate how very good he is ,no matter his age !

I thought .....Tiger Woods ,Tendulkar or closer to home Dexter Dunn and now the World and his bank manager is seeing how good he is.

Can us 'old farts ' recognise this performance .....maybe the 'sublimical perception' has triggered the Kiwi mind.

How come that was so good ? It can't be ?????
The Tinka horse aside....will check tomorrow ,may have run behind Cutts' Brush....the first maiden today I watched intently ,as they passed the 600 every horse was named in precise order ratatat tat....the final 200 was spot on ,exact timing as it unfolded and within seconds of Post the placegetters 'statistics' and personnel were instantly relayed.

In the Stewards the 3rd placing was so close but accurately called ...similar to Sires Stakes at Trots yesterday !

Some previous Aussie caller was poor [ often] in close finishers for first place and many don't pick up the minors but just guess !And another ex-caller was 'at the distance' and often confused.Big Dave Clarkson just called PHOTO ,the P goes into the frame.

Matt is something special......a great talent.

And Midget ,its 50 years since my neighbour won the NZ Cup with Middy [ Messmate- Subtrist] with GRHeaton on board !

How time flies.

And Catalyst performed like an equine masterpiece.....peerless. How lucky we were !

13 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Do they put a plate of sandwiches on nowdays ? . Awful facilities for a city track  to be fair and very dated   but the track itself  is very good , races build nicely from the bend  , hopefully once stand sorted things will improve . 

What do  you get there today if you running your horse ? 

A free drink no less. Ye ha. Oh then trying to get in the gate with a free pass. The whole thing is like entry to colditz. Thank goodness the horse's and trainers put on a good show because the committee certainly doesn't

Also you must remember that these days commentators cover on course, radio, and television, so it is hard to cater for all audiences - what doesn't need too detailed explanation on tv can require just that on radio.    Exactly same as rugby etc.      Matt I think has settled into his role admirably and really we very lucky he was "there" when McNamara returned to his homeland.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, Whyisit said:

Try listening for Tinkalicious in the 

Race 6: VALACHI DOWNS CANTERBURY BREEDERS STAKES

Just to give the heads up she ran a clear 5th at the finish

I heard the race on the radio and thought she must have been late scratched or something and had to check the website when I got home to see that she had actually run. 

20 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

I heard the race on the radio and thought she must have been late scratched or something and had to check the website when I got home to see that she had actually run. 

Me too exactly the same.      Shame Matt could only mention her once in the race shortly after the race had started.

4 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Thankfully you never make a mistake Ted - its live that he calls it and the horse finished 5th.  As Whyisit mentioned she was in the call early so obviously you didn't listen to the radio call too well if you had to check the results after ...

Young bloke making a start ... give him a break eh

3 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Thankfully you never make a mistake Ted - its live that he calls it and the horse finished 5th.  As Whyisit mentioned she was in the call early so obviously you didn't listen to the radio call too well if you had to check the results after ...

Young bloke making a start ... give him a break eh

The point is there were a couple of posts very early in topic espousing to his accuracy in his calls especially at the finish . It was a Stakes  race and I am afraid  he clearly missed Tinka... It wasn’t as if she was hidden in a group of horses and was clear enough to see in the run home .

I was like Ted and had to look up the video to see what happened to her.

l wasn’t having a dig at Matt just the posters.

Col. He didn’t call the horse in fifth only once shortly after the horses broke the barriers.

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

You sure you can’t fake passion

I had a bird I used to pay to come see me, $300 an hour, she seemed highly skilled in that domain 

i guess that's reasonable value all round $30 for about 5 minutes ... LOLOLOLOL

10 hours ago, Whyisit said:

The point is there were a couple of posts very early in topic espousing to his accuracy in his calls especially at the finish . It was a Stakes  race and I am afraid  he clearly missed Tinka... It wasn’t as if she was hidden in a group of horses and was clear enough to see in the run home .

I was like Ted and had to look up the video to see what happened to her.

l wasn’t having a dig at Matt just the posters.

Col. He didn’t call the horse in fifth only once shortly after the horses broke the barriers.

Ok. I'm happy to praise him while also accepting that at 26 (?) he will improve, and that he will make mistakes.

Didn't the great Bill Collins once say in a big race the fav couldn't win ???