RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
swampfox

m walker

39 minutes ago, 6xes said:

Is banning the use of whips a bad thing??

when you consider all jockeys would remain on par with one another? it would save the jockeys a fine and a suspension!! :rcf-thinking-1:

You give these activists an inch they will take a mile, they will stop at nothing short of achieving their goal 

11 minutes ago, Gruff said:

You give these activists an inch they will take a mile, they will stop at nothing short of achieving their goal 

if the racing heads were to control the narrative... and speak forth...

"this move to ban whips is to lessen the penalties regarding jockeys"

at least this way... it silences the animal rights nutters... and removes any would be pressure.. by simply controlling the narrative!!

what will the animal rights nutters then have to moan about??  Perhaps a win win situation.. if executed properly  *winks

TDN  article titled "a whip free days racing in Norway " is worth a read , it appears the Norwegians have put a lot of thought and research into it all. 

According to Walter Buick in an interview it changes the way races are run quite a bit . He rode there during changes and also is William Buick's dad so he knows his stuff .

There is a point racing will need to hold firm and be confident about its actions , in Aussie its scrambling at moment and the anti racing radicals smell blood .The Grand National was gone for all money , with a close working relationship with the RSPCA, holding firm against the tide  it's turned the corner and protests down popularity up . Last 5 years be close run thing but I think less horses have died in GN than Melbourne Cup and GN has 40 runners .The GN course imho is now a safer course than the Mildmay course at Aintree as they fly round that at times and I've seen some crunching falls on it .

The best thing to do for racing is engage fully with the moderate animal welfare groups such as SPCA etc.

4 hours ago, 6xes said:

Is banning the use of whips a bad thing??

when you consider all jockeys would remain on par with one another? it would save the jockeys a fine and a suspension!! :rcf-thinking-1:

The idiots running racing in both Australia and NZ should get on the front foot and act immediately, by banning the whip now, BEFORE it's too late. 

That's my opinion for what it's it worth.

Sad but true there is very little time left.

P.S. I have been an owner for 45 years and I KNOW that today's whips don't hurt the horses BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT PERCEPTION..

1 hour ago, Insider said:

The idiots running racing in both Australia and NZ should get on the front foot and act immediately, by banning the whip now, BEFORE it's too late. 

That's my opinion for what it's it worth.

Sad but true there is very little time left.

P.S. I have been an owner for 45 years and I KNOW that today's whips don't hurt the horses BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT PERCEPTION..

Bugger perception, a whip is more practical and effective.   

1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Not carrying a whip is like a builder going to work without a hammer! 
It is a necessity in the control of the animal!

I didn’t say that they shouldn’t carry it!

They shouldn’t use it during the race as a persuader. It looks barbaric, pure and simple. 

35 minutes ago, arjay said:

What about spurs then? Would imagine they could hurt more. Don't see riders often using them, but still around.

611 A Rider must not wear spurs in a Flat Race or flat trial (including a flat jump-out or flat test for certification purposes). 

The Racing Industry in Victoria is already canvassing opinion on the use of whips, and how long they should keep them for. Tied in to whether your betting on Vic races would decrease or stop etc......received the research email yesterday.

It was revealed on Wednesday that jockeys were resorting more regularly to the use of spurs, partly in response to increased restrictions imposed by Racing Australia on the use of the whip.

I SAW many of the Australian senior jockeys in the 2019 Melbourne cup wearing spurs. Any horseman watching would have immediately noticed. By the way I am in favour of both (used correctly)..

3 hours ago, rdytdy said:

611 A Rider must not wear spurs in a Flat Race or flat trial (including a flat jump-out or flat test for certification purposes). 

Yes, correct, but jump riders can, so this is not a level playing field and officials are saying it is ok as they are older horses. That's what i believe they are applying.

Clearly this is an ill-thought out rule and only window dressing in my opinion.

Am I correct that this rule doesn't apply in Australia.

Beekeeper,I am not in favor of spurs.I have seen many riders leave puncture type holes in a horse's rib area.I was going to name a couple but they did not break any rule .so unfair to name them

20 minutes ago, Midget said:

Yes, correct, but jump riders can, so this is not a level playing field and officials are saying it is ok as they are older horses. That's what i believe they are applying.

Clearly this is an ill-thought out rule and only window dressing in my opinion.

Am I correct that this rule doesn't apply in Australia.

Beekeeper,I am not in favor of spurs.I have seen many riders leave puncture type holes in a horse's rib area.I was going to name a couple but they did not break any rule .so unfair to name them

AR137B  in OZ , normal wording not excessive etc etc .Blimey only a jock ex jock  top stipe or real good race reader  could guage the usage levels in race a full tilt surely , bar of course vet inspection after for obvious markings . Seen horse get quick dig to get them going in jump race start in past but not sure that happens now . Used to appear in form line for race  for dodgy characters " rider wearing spurs" .That was the starter for 10 be very careful investing too much on that horse .

10 hours ago, Beekeeper said:

It was revealed on Wednesday that jockeys were resorting more regularly to the use of spurs, partly in response to increased restrictions imposed by Racing Australia on the use of the whip.

I SAW many of the Australian senior jockeys in the 2019 Melbourne cup wearing spurs. Any horseman watching would have immediately noticed. By the way I am in favour of both (used correctly)..

You are correct. I noticed it too and thought...what the heck!

Not good enough in my mind at all.

10 hours ago, Beekeeper said:

That exact  quote quoted is from an article interviewing Chris Symonds from April 2016 , does not appear to be much movement or mention of there use in over three years .He mentions that they soon will have no jockeys just dangling carrots in front of them as they run , iam sure a dangling of carrot or Polo mint even better still   would have got Prince Aaron home Tuesday , and would be totally legit , maybe pull the earplugs , produce the mint,  one crack and away he goes .