RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
CosmicBlackie

Cup Day Fields

Is it me, or the Cup Day fields just seem a little ordinary this year?

I know there is winner in every race, and to have a runner on Cup Day is such a thrill... maybe just a sign of the times and the smaller foal crops coming through.

Good Luck to everyone with one in.

You are right CosmicBlackie the fields have been getting less and less attractive over the last 10 years or so. I guess smaller foal crops and the fact that many horses showing early ability are sold overseas is having a detrimental effect on Cup Day cards. Oh for the days when every race had brilliant fields on Cup Day and most of Show Day. Good luck to all though.

1 hour ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Is it me, or the Cup Day fields just seem a little ordinary this year?

I know there is winner in every race, and to have a runner on Cup Day is such a thrill... maybe just a sign of the times and the smaller foal crops coming through.

Good Luck to everyone with one in.

They look pretty good to me. Most races seem quite even on the undercard

Tim

Here's how to attract more North Island horses for the Cup Carnival

Currently                    Alter to

Race 1                             $25,000                        $50,000

Race 2                             $25,000                        $25,000

Race 3                             $25,000                        $50,000

Race 4                             $35,000                        $75,000

Race 5                             $25,000                        $50,000

Race 6                            $100,000                      $135,000

Race 7                            $170,000                      $170,000

Race 8                            $25,000                        $50,000

Race 9                           $25,000                         $50,000

Race 10                       $750,000                       $500,000

Race 11                         $25,000                        $50,000

Race 12                        $25,000                        $50,000

--------------                 ------------------

$1,255,000                     $1,255,000

Let's not get bogged down in pointing out the difference in Stake monies between the Cup (Pacers) and The Dominion (Trotters), keep that for another thread.

I've merely reallocated existing Stakes

4 minutes ago, eljay said:

Sign of the times.    As with a lot of problems in the industry - too late, the horse has bolted.

Eljay

Your post would appear to be in reply to either Cosmic Blackie or Overcheck, as it makes no sense if it was in response to Mister Ed, Tim Vince, JJ Flash or myself

I don't intend to be disparaging but your post contributes nothing to the thread. If you simply agree with a previous poster isn't there a "like" or "love" emoji you can use? What is the point of just saying "too late, the horse has bolted". 

As an example can't you comment on my post either stating you agree with me, and more importantly why you agree with me, or that you disagree with me, and again why you disagree with me?

Mikie

Mikie i like the reallocation of stakes.  Factoring in Acceptance Fees can change this a fair bit. I have used your table but taken out approximate acceptance fees for R4, R6, R10.
$40,000 for race winners on Cup Day would get Southlander's targetting Cup Day. There would be an extra dozen horses; Robyn's Playboy, Franco Santino, Paddyproudfoot, Pembrook Playboy etc etc.
I think you are right though. $50,000 for support races is probably needed for NI horses to come down for the carnival.
I need to magic up $66,000 for my stakes, while supporting the removal of Acceptance Fees.

Currently                    Alter to

Race 1                             $25,000                        $40,000

Race 2                             $25,000                        $25,000

Race 3                             $25,000                        $40,000

Race 4                             $30,000 ($35K)          $50,000  

Race 5                             $25,000                        $40,000

Race 6                            $84,000 ($100K)        $85,000

Race 7                            $170,000                      $170,000

Race 8                            $25,000                        $40,000

Race 9                           $25,000                         $40,000

Race 10                       $570,000 ($750K)       $510,000

Race 11                         $25,000                        $40,000

Race 12                        $25,000                        $40,000

--------------                 ------------------

$1,054,000                     $1,120,000

Hi Amati

I like my figures with the Club just not charging Acceptance fees which is a rort

The increases in entrance fees (for the humans) alone would cover this

Thank you for taking the time to actually name horses that you think would come for $50,000 stakes from Southland

I am sorry but my current knowledge of racehorses in the Deep South isn't as good as yours

Mikie

I see Chanel 10 in Australia paid $100mil for broadcast rights to the Melbourne Cup. Imagine if the Met could get half of 1per cent of that for the trotting cup,  every race could be worth 50 k and the cup 1mil.   Oh well, dreams are free. 

Mikie does make a very good point. The money poured into the Cup is largely wasted. The field would be identical for $500,000. The other thing people seem to forget is that the winner of a $25,000 race is getting what the winner of a $20,000 race used to get, and the second and third placegetters in a $25,000 race are getting what they would have got in a $17,500  race in years gone by. So really, to compare stakes with those of yesteryear a $25,000 race is actually a $17,500 race, with a starters payment for the also rans. So $17,500 for most of the supporting races on Cup Day isn't flash is it.

12 hours ago, gazza123 said:

Actually if you changed the NZ cup to Canterbury cup its just another run of the mill meeting at addington with 15000 yuppies 

I think it is now known as  "Bloom Week" instead of "CUP WEEK"

On 11/9/2019 at 7:38 AM, gazza123 said:

Actually if you changed the NZ cup to Canterbury cup its just another run of the mill meeting at addington with 15000 yuppies 

A bit harsh Gazza.  I think we should acknowledge Addington have done a great job to turn Cup day into the biggest race day event in NZ.   Not a bad achievement given ChCh doesn’t have the population of Auckland and harness does not have the same number of participants as Gallops.  Credit where it’s due.    

On 11/9/2019 at 7:38 AM, gazza123 said:

Dont forget the Southerners who arrive in droves every year for Cup week and very few if any of them are Yuppies

Greg

17 hours ago, john legend said:

A great day awaits for all. All stars looks like cup trifectr (spanky,fixer and Chaser) hope weather holds and not too  many girls fall off high heels late in day for national tv benefit.!!:rcf-space-invaders:

The heels and the knickers are ussually lost by cup time

12 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Started this thread, really enjoyed the day, nice to see Blair winning the Cup ✔️.

Races were very competitive and nothing ran away and hid.

Did my ears deceive when the screamer Matt Cross said something like Blairs the "Greatest driver in the world". I ask this as it was very noisy where i was at the time

Greg