RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

Anyone know what the NZ TAB Melbourne Cup...

turnover was? Word was at 4:00pm they were behind by $3 million. No surprise given the crap new betting platform, no free to air coverage of the race, closing of so many TAB outlets, poor advertising and clueless management all part of the reason. Turnover was down in Victoria which astute Industry people are putting down to the newly introduced consumption fee which isn't here yet but will be no doubt down the track. So much for the new betting platform increasing turnover and doubling customers ha ha as if that was ever going to happen. When the biggest race hold of the year is down by 30% plus you know things really are looking bleak for the Industry.

Yes that's true von S as you rightly say making the end result look good by using numbers. I used to do that same bull@#*t just like the TAB management are doing when I was a kid with my 'paint by number kit' to try and make people think I was better than I really was and actually knew what I was doing. 

If the TAB's management mention that turnover figures are commercially sensitive it will really mean that they have stuffed up big time and need an excuse, as weak as urine, to keep the basic statistics from Joe Public.  Commercially sensitive?  For God's sake, they are a monopoly.

Turnover (for pool betting) and gross margin for fixed odds betting statistics would be readily available if we were dealing with an honest outfit.  We aren't.  They are not.

5 hours ago, LightsOut said:

turnover was? Word was at 4:00pm they were behind by $3 million. No surprise given the crap new betting platform, no free to air coverage of the race, closing of so many TAB outlets, poor advertising and clueless management all part of the reason. Turnover was down in Victoria which astute Industry people are putting down to the newly introduced consumption fee which isn't here yet but will be no doubt down the track. So much for the new betting platform increasing turnover and doubling customers ha ha as if that was ever going to happen. When the biggest race hold of the year is down by 30% plus you know things really are looking bleak for the Industry.

I went to a tab and a couple of bars yesterday, the interest from what I saw is certainly a lot less than prior years. 

Lights  My therory is two things that the TAB has done that is a huge makes a huge differance is no freeview and also not betting from Aussie into NZ on their web site .If this was allowed it would jam up the dog web site and crash.So they are happy with all their eggs in one basket with Sky with the old promo of news flash we have just had $100000 bet on blah blah . I thought yesterday we would have had  more criticism about the usual drivel on trackside but I think we are at a stage were its oh well thats as good as it gets .   We dont get anything new or exciting ,just same old same old.  Emily ,Rodley and the other condescending prat Tan  burbled onand on with Emily who unfortunately has been around Rodley and Tan for to long and has got verbal drivel .While she was waitng for the recording of the horses in the birdcage she paddled on and on about how exciting it will be when we cross over for the MC and how excited are you Aidan and tell us how exciting is it going to the MC Aidan FFS.We missed the jockey intro's and the horses preliminary's I don't no why Racing .com does not have a pop up channel here.  The NZ trotting cup day has a freeview pop up channel on cup day I dont follow the trots but I'm sure it will be well received and the turn over will be up.I've got a headache  cheers BH

12 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Lights  My therory is two things that the TAB has done that is a huge makes a huge differance is no freeview and also not betting from Aussie into NZ on their web site .If this was allowed it would jam up the dog web site and crash.So they are happy with all their eggs in one basket with Sky with the old promo of news flash we have just had $100000 bet on blah blah . I thought yesterday we would have had  more criticism about the usual drivel on trackside but I think we are at a stage were its oh well thats as good as it gets .   We dont get anything new or exciting ,just same old same old.  Emily ,Rodley and the other condescending prat Tan  burbled onand on with Emily who unfortunately has been around Rodley and Tan for to long and has got verbal drivel .While she was waitng for the recording of the horses in the birdcage she paddled on and on about how exciting it will be when we cross over for the MC and how excited are you Aidan and tell us how exciting is it going to the MC Aidan FFS.We missed the jockey intro's and the horses preliminary's I don't no why Racing .com does not have a pop up channel here.  The NZ trotting cup day has a freeview pop up channel on cup day I dont follow the trots but I'm sure it will be well received and the turn over will be up.I've got a headache  cheers BH

I've said it before. Get rid of Andy Kydd. He's had his chance and he has no idea. Start a campaign.

Why not have some ex-jocks or trainers in the studio on a big day like Cup day when they have time to fill in and they can talk about what the race is like to ride in or train for? Rather than the presenters read out the market over and over with meaningless comments added in and talking down to the audience. Over in Oz they have Peter Moody, Corey Brown etc making interesting commentary. Corey isn't afraid to point out bad rides and tactical errors, you'd never see that type of forthright opinion from our presenters, it's all very bland and colourless.

21 hours ago, mckenzie said:

Why not have some ex-jocks or trainers in the studio on a big day like Cup day when they have time to fill in and they can talk about what the race is like to ride in or train for? Rather than the presenters read out the market over and over with meaningless comments added in and talking down to the audience. Over in Oz they have Peter Moody, Corey Brown etc making interesting commentary. Corey isn't afraid to point out bad rides and tactical errors, you'd never see that type of forthright opinion from our presenters, it's all very bland and colourless.

not many jockeys are very eloquent...you know...you know...

Corey Brown is reasonably eloquent, but he's not much of a genius. Last week he said he doesn't bother walking the track before the meeting because you can just follow one of the jockeys who has. On Thursday he had no idea how quick they'd gone early in the first and how strong the wind was (they came home in 12.3 and 12.9) and what that meant for the shape of the race.

Then the juveniles go around in Race 2 and he tells us all that the jocks will want to put their inexperienced mounts on one of the rails down the straight track to help guide them. Which makes sense, except the actual jockeys who were riding on the day were happy to stay up the middle.

Before the third he said that the favourites in the next had tough barriers and that you wouldn't want to be covering ground... followed by telling us all after the race that he spoke to a couple of the jocks and they said that the wind was hitting the horses on the fence so 3w was a great place to be.

Trackside is set up as a betting medium, so they want polished presenters who can talk idiots into having a bet on the next race, and then seamlessly encourage them to back something in the next, then the one after that. Occasionally you'll get some info you wouldn't have otherwise gotten (on domestic racing anyway; there's never anything of value shared about the Australian races) but Trackside isn't set up for knowledgeable, eloquent presenters to educate the viewers or help out the punters. If they did want to turn the channel into a quality viewing experience showcasing the sport though, hopefully they could do better than Corey Brown.