RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Great female family keeps producing

I was pleasantly surprised to find today's Melbourne Cup winner , Vow and Declare, descends directly from Tessa Gillian ( and further back to Mumtaz Begum  and Lady Josephine etc.).  so this is the family of Eight Carat, Octagonal, Very Ellegant and scores of other great race horses and producers.

It goes to show if you are entering into the breeding and can buy a mare directly descended from one of theses great females families, your odds of breeding a good one can be vastly improved.

This is an interesting comment from the breeder of Vow and Declare on the ANZ Bloodstock News this morning :

“Her first foal was a Star Witness who raced as Lycurgus. We expected we were breeding a sprinter but Danny (O’Brien) sent the blood samples to Ireland and they came back as a 2400-metre horse,” Lanskey said.

Does anyone know what the tests in Ireland are all about and do NZ trainers/owners use the service ? 

Thanks Elvis. The price for the tests seem reasonable when you balance it against the cost of training --ie. for just a part of a months training fee you can get an indication of the distance the horse may perform at best.  Obviously it should only be taken as an indication and not a caste iron fact, but I think it would be worth trying.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Breeder said:

I was pleasantly surprised to find today's Melbourne Cup winner , Vow and Declare, descends directly from Tessa Gillian ( and further back to Mumtaz Begum  and Lady Josephine etc.).  so this is the family of Eight Carat, Octagonal, Very Ellegant and scores of other great race horses and producers.

It goes to show if you are entering into the breeding and can buy a mare directly descended from one of theses great females families, your odds of breeding a good one can be vastly improved.

She (Tessa Gillian), was also the dam of successful NZ stallion Test Case, so her blood will be seen in many of our thoroughbreds.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:50 AM, elvis said:

Anyone know of any for sale? I'm on the look out

If you want to buy a filly/mare from the Tessa Gillian / Eight Carat family have a look at the latest Inglis online sale (finishes on Wednesday). Lot 49 is a Makfi 3yr old filly that traces to this family via Habibti. The filly was bred and sold by Pencarrow Stud for $180K to Darren Weir and after his problems has ended up with Ciaron Maher. It is now being sold after 1 minor win from 5 starts.

Currently the bidding is at A$700 but this sale normally does not get going until the last 24 hrs just like Gavelhouse. But you never know, if you are interested you could get it cheap.

There are a couple from the same family in the NZB Ready to Run sale.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Breeder said:

Just realised that a maiden mare in my paddock has 2 lines of Tessa Gillian in her pedigree - via Testcase and Kreisler.