RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

Meech replaced on Derby Fave

No doubt plenty are talking about the replacing of good Jockey, Linda Meech, as the rider of a VRC Derby hot chance, Thought Of That, by Mark Zahra.  The Owner made the call despite Meech winning the last two starts very easily on the horse. Although it’s an Owners prerogative, I believe the Trainer would have retained Meech -  until the Owners instructions came on Monday. It’s not the first time this has happened and won’t be the last. The Owner in question is no stranger to success with many top horses, recently YesYesYes being one of them. But Karma can be a wonderful thing so maybe there’s some about to show it’s hand? You have to feel for Meech and Michelle Payne didn’t miss the Owner - albeit costing her a grand for calling him a pig! Brings to mind  the message coming from the movie “Ride Like A Girl”. Either way, if Thought OF That runs an unlucky placing, I expect there will be further comment re Meech’s sacking. Just what the Racing Industry needs.

24 minutes ago, Trump said:

No doubt plenty are talking about the replacing of good Jockey, Linda Meech, as the rider of a VRC Derby hot chance, Thought Of That, by Mark Zahra.  The Owner made the call despite Meech winning the last two starts very easily on the horse. Although it’s an Owners prerogative, I believe the Trainer would have retained Meech -  until the Owners instructions came on Monday. It’s not the first time this has happened and won’t be the last. The Owner in question is no stranger to success with many top horses, recently YesYesYes being one of them. But Karma can be a wonderful thing so maybe there’s some about to show it’s hand? You have to feel for Meech and Michelle Payne didn’t miss the Owner - albeit costing her a grand for calling him a pig! Brings to mind  the message coming from the movie “Ride Like A Girl”. Either way, if Thought OF That runs an unlucky placing, I expect there will be further comment re Meech’s sacking. Just what the Racing Industry needs.

Not sure calling bloke who puts decent  money into the game a pig is flash . He seems to chop and change jockeys a bit , plenty of owners have over the years , the horse has had Zahra, McNeil and Meech up in short career and McNeil got the shove it seems from the Kings Will Dream ride after winning Turnball.

Luke Nolan had the classy response after his dumping from Constantinople , disappointed but wish connections luck and move on .

24 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Not sure calling bloke who puts decent  money into the game a pig is flash . He seems to chop and change jockeys a bit , plenty of owners have over the years , the horse has had Zahra, McNeil and Meech up in short career and McNeil got the shove it seems from the Kings Will Dream ride after winning Turnball.

Luke Nolan had the classy response after his dumping from Constantinople , disappointed but wish connections luck and move on .

Yes I agree. Often Chris Waller swaps his Jockeys around the Stable horses, even after they’ve had a win. So Payne deserved her fine imho. Luke does do a lot of riding for Lindsay Park so I would expect he would say as much. However, the replacement, The Boss, has been subsequently suspended! So Luke May get the ride back!

20 minutes ago, Trump said:

Yes I agree. Often Chris Waller swaps his Jockeys around the Stable horses, even after they’ve had a win. So Payne deserved her fine imho. Luke does do a lot of riding for Lindsay Park so I would expect he would say as much. However, the replacement, The Boss, has been subsequently suspended! So Luke May get the ride 

Good job some  these jockeys never had to ride for guy like the departed Daniel Wildenstein , he took his horses off Sir Henry Cecil over a ride Piggott gave horse called  Vacarme once , was a shit ride to be fair but totally completely unreasonable guy who changed jockeys and trainers nearly as often as guards change at Buck House  .However how many times did Piggott get some poor bugger "jocked off " week out from Derby , it was the guess who he's going to stitch up game many a year .

Top jockeys just get on with it , Rachael Blackmore rode nearly 700 times last National Hunt season in Ireland second in title  in male dominated area of the sport with 90 wins, loads of being smashed into the turf with falls then dust off for next ride   and with how female jockeys here lead world and succeed who would seriously factor gender into riding bookings or punting selections nowdays .The blokes obviously just strong minded and maybe bit fickle but he pays the bills .

As an aside Red Rum, what’s your opinion of a horse called ISPOLINI. Trained by Charlie Appleby and in the Melb Cup. He seems to have the right credentials to run well in a MC and is quite up in the betting at $19/$5.50. Nobody’s talking about ISPOLINI but I quite like his form and his trainer. 

6 minutes ago, Trump said:

As an aside Red Rum, what’s your opinion of a horse called ISPOLINI. Trained by Charlie Appleby and in the Melb Cup. He seems to have the right credentials to run well in a MC and is quite up in the betting at $19/$5.50. Nobody’s talking about ISPOLINI but I quite like his form and his trainer. 

I've always liked the horse and actually backed it to beat Stadivarius earlier in season at York with the benefit of fitness off back of Dubai campaign but done me money .  German leger win I think was cosier than it reads . He's under a fitness cloud though,  scans apparently .

It's interesting though, in NZ most connections would seem very happy to have a female jockey on in a big race. In Australia it seems the opposite, when they get to the Group 1's more often than not they're sacked if they're on a good chance. They get the odd ride on a bolter (Prince of Penzance) but just like a few weeks ago Raquel Clark was sacked from the Caulfield Guineas favourite and replace by Hugh Bowman, who went on to give it a very average ride. 

17 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I've always liked the horse and actually backed it to beat Stadivarius earlier in season at York with the benefit of fitness off back of Dubai campaign but done me money .  German leger win I think was cosier than it reads . He's under a fitness cloud though,  scans apparently .

yes and out along with Marmelo. Bit of drama !

On the Meech thing I do feel for her - but ultimately the owners pay the bills. Plenty of cases also of jocks accepting rides and then jumping horses etc etc etc ......

11 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

yes and out along with Marmelo. Bit of drama !

On the Meech thing I do feel for her - but ultimately the owners pay the bills. Plenty of cases also of jocks accepting rides and then jumping horses etc etc etc ......

Yes,  undoubtedly owners pay the bills.... and I think that many fail to recognise that.   It seems that Linda is at least behaving with more class than Michelle.....

more class ??

that's debatable given her comment "i hope that it gets beat "

particularly given the amount of opportunity provided to her by brae sokolski, ciaron maher and david eustace.

if anyone thinks meech is a better jockey than zahra they've got rocks in their head.

41 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The golden rule.....he who’s got the gold makes the rules.....that’s how life normally works, and the gender component is just an irrelevant distraction 

As long as jockeys all charge the same fee you have an obligation to use the best available, or best suited to that particular job, otherwise you’re just cheating yourself 

Ironic thing is most say Meech was up to the job and a great front running rider for the horse. Even the trainer said he wanted her on it. 

4 minutes ago, mckenzie said:

Ironic thing is most say Meech was up to the job and a great front running rider for the horse. Even the trainer said he wanted her on it. 

perhaps the trainer could dump the horse! and the owner!  Not gunna happen though is it. Owner pays the bills as stated.

2 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

more class ??

that's debatable given her comment "i hope that it gets beat "

Yeah,  agree that wasn't overly smart....understandable I suppose though.  But she isn't making quite such a spectacle of herself as the other lass.

17 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Yeah,  agree that wasn't overly smart....understandable I suppose though.  But she isn't making quite such a spectacle of herself as the other lass.

I think it's called burning your bridges . A few owners might be thinking don't book that jockey as I don't want to cop it if I change my mind down the track  , book Nolan he acts like a grown up. Shit like putting out  hope horse gets beat is what kids might think and mostly be sensible enough to not say when they get dropped for under 15  footy  for a game . Highly unprofessional .

23 hours ago, Catalano said:

And now Meech is on Twitter saying I hope the horse gets beaten. 

They should take a leaf out of the kiwi woman jocks book, and just be better. 

I’ll be backing him. 

Meech should be quiet and let other people do the talking. It's called diplomacy.

6 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Meech & Payne need to think about this from a detached perspective .... as was indicated to me by PM .... imagine you’re on a surgery table critically ill and you’ve got two surgeons scrubbed up ready to go ... one has never done this operation before, the other is an expert in the field ... forget the gender bullshit.... who you gonna pick to try to save your life ?

It’s that simple 

Neither have won the Derby. One jock knows the horse very well, one has never ridden it.

50 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Button up would have been better Pondi, think I might have an inkling who you are to..,,

Chris, I think everybody would agree it’s an Owner’s prerogative to choose or change Jockeys. No question. At the same time, it had nothing to do with Michelle Payne and her response was emotional. Also, after being replaced by Zahra, Meech didn’t show any class by her comments re the horses prospects. But you have to feel for Meech. She’s won the last two and the horse goes good for her. Zahra rode the horse for a first start 6th at the beginning of this year. I doubt that there will be a race goer on course for the Derby that won’t be willing it to get beat! 

21 minutes ago, Trump said:

Chris, I think everybody would agree it’s an Owner’s prerogative to choose or change Jockeys. No question. At the same time, it had nothing to do with Michelle Payne and her response was emotional. Also, after being replaced by Zahra, Meech didn’t show any class by her comments re the horses prospects. But you have to feel for Meech. She’s won the last two and the horse goes good for her. Zahra rode the horse for a first start 6th at the beginning of this year. I doubt that there will be a race goer on course for the Derby that won’t be willing it to get beat! 

I hope it shits in now after what Meech and Payne had to say. 

Loyalty is a two way street.  I would bet both have climbed off a horse for another ride leaving owners up in the air.

Payne in particular needs to "zip it sweetie"