RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Australian Drought

Things are getting very bad for the rural areas in Australia. It is not just the weather but the inner city Greens are being successful at squeezing the life out of farmers especially around water regulations.

I watched an episode of "Bred to Win" a few weeks back and Caroline Searcy  interviewed some one from Arrowfield,  in about early September and they commented on how happy they were with the recent rain and the subsequent grass growth. In the background you see there was green but barely any real grass. Then the program went onto an interview at Cambridge Stud which was clearly very early spring --there were no leaves on the trees, but the grass was about 20 cm high.

I wonder if any of the big studs would or are considering setting up in NZ like Gerry Harvey to take advantage on the growing conditions here? Air transport is relatively easy now . The costs of supplements must be increasing in Australia. Earlier in the yea,r around the yearling sales time we had David Ellis and Paul Moroney commenting on how the drought seemed to have negatively affected the yearling development in Aussie ---quite possibly some "sales talk" to help NZ sales but I am sure there must have been at least an element of truth in it.

Even if people sent to NZ the weanlings they intend to race themselves to be reared here, there could be advantages for them in the long run.

I agree,

But what makes the Australian yearlings "look" precious at the sales? Is this because they breed for sprint/middle distances , the sun, or what? It can't be the pasture. 

If they foal down in New Zealand how much better would their horses look with decent grass to eat...?

8 hours ago, benzracing said:

I agree,

But what makes the Australian yearlings "look" precious at the sales? Is this because they breed for sprint/middle distances , the sun, or what? It can't be the pasture. 

If they foal down in New Zealand how much better would their horses look with decent grass to eat...?

Might have found the answer to my question

“Australia produces the best sprinter-milers in the world,” Orton says. “We’re not so good at breeding stayers, not compared to Europe or New Zealand. In New Zealand their horses tend to grow and develop skeletally a bit slower, for reasons such as the ground being softer.

“In Australia, there’s more sun, the grass is higher in protein, the conditions are more conducive to a fast-growing animal. You can hope for results earlier. And I believe we’ve got to breed to our strengths.”

via https://www.tdnausnz.com.au/edition/2019-10-30/peter-orton-and-the-worlds-best-teacher

"...the grass is higher in protein,"    If there is no or little grass then they have a problem. I would also question the higher protein content.

But back to your original post --I agree that it is not all pasture and sunshine etc. is important but feeding of the young animal is very important and so the abundant grass in NZ must help.

I would also suggest that Australia breeding the sprinter - milers is more to do with genetics over generations,  as much as anything else.