RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

Biphosphonates

There is a very interesting article in the Los Angeles Times, of 28th October, written by John Cherwa about the administration of bisphosphonates to young horses and its masking effect on the bones of those young horses.  Apparently they are sold under the trade names of Osphos and Tildren.

With my severely limited information technology skills I am unable to link the story to this site.  Hopefully our good mate poundforpound can do so.  His opinion on this matter would be most appreciated.

Cherwa suggests that the widespread use of such drugs in young horses could be one of the reasons for the unusually high number of deaths of racehorses in California in particular, and to a lesser extent in New York and Kentucky.  I get the impression that Cherwa is very knowledgeable on matters such as this.

19 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

There is a very interesting article in the Los Angeles Times, of 28th October, written by John Cherwa about the administration of bisphosphonates to young horses and its masking effect on the bones of those young horses.  Apparently they are sold under the trade names of Osphos and Tildren.

With my severely limited information technology skills I am unable to link the story to this site.  Hopefully our good mate poundforpound can do so.  His opinion on this matter would be most appreciated.

Cherwa suggests that the widespread use of such drugs in young horses could be one of the reasons for the unusually high number of deaths of racehorses in California in particular, and to a lesser extent in New York and Kentucky.  I get the impression that Cherwa is very knowledgeable on matters such as this.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-10-28/horse-racing-deaths-undetectable-killer-santa-anita-breeders-cup

1 hour ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Leggy, thank you for doing the link.

No worries TN. There's been a bit of other stuff written about this over the last year or so. It seems a bit unclear really what the level of off label usage might be and indeed what the effects of that there are, if any. Definitely a worry though. https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/bisphosphonates-what-we-know-about-off-label-use-and-what-one-drug-company-is-doing-about-it/