RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cassie L

Horses slaughtered in NZ

Hi everyone,

Hope you're well. 

I'm currently looking into how we can help make sure that each and every horse has a retirement plan. I found out recently that a big number of TB's are getting slaughtered annually in NZ.

Does anyone have any info to help with my OIA - anybody able to contact me to discuss further? 

My email is cassielanglands@outlook.com

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Not sure that is totally correct. I had 5 horses that I have had shares in retire in the last year for different reasons and from different stables and they have all been rehomed. Also Eventstars rehome a big of retired race horse

7 hours ago, Cassie L said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you're well. 

I'm currently looking into how we can help make sure that each and every horse has a retirement plan. I found out recently that a big number of TB's are getting slaughtered annually in NZ.

Does anyone have any info to help with my OIA - anybody able to contact me to discuss further? 

Are you sure that is what you are doing ? , some may have concerns you are trying to collect information to attack racing with .

What I  do know is a meat company not to far from me is aiming to slaughter over 1000 cattle per day this season . Nothing wrong with that as long as it's done to the highest animal welfare standards  and it is .

18 hours ago, Cassie L said:

Hi everyone,

Hope you're well. 

Why not tell us more about yourself Cassie???Seems a little odd your request on your first post here....

Hi All. Yeh, quite concerned about latest ABC investigations in Queensland. 4,000 horses killed annually in one abbatoir alone. I realise Australia is bigger in terms of money and NZ is smaller but there is talk about a large number of horses getting killed in NZ. You just need to look at dog food ingredients.

I know a large number of horses are getting killed in slaughter pits, so want to make sure NZTR are aware of the fate of all horses. This has sparked me off to do a OIA and thought that someone may be able to help with my request.

I'm not here to attack. I own an a TB that was in a bad state when he arrived. 

14 minutes ago, Cassie L said:

And what about the horses that get exported to Australia..?  where do those TBs end up eventually. 1700 horses exported to Australia annually. Or do they return? 

Thanks guys. 

4.7 million horses are used for meat Worldwide anually Cassie, unfortunately if its not horses something else needs to lose its life. Add to that the numbers of cats and Dogs. :rcf-sad-2:

2 hours ago, Cassie L said:

Hi All. Yeh, quite concerned about latest ABC investigations in Queensland. 4,000 horses killed annually in one abbatoir alone. I realise Australia is bigger in terms of money and NZ is smaller but there is talk about a large number of horses getting killed in NZ. You just need to look at dog food ingredients.

I know a large number of horses are getting killed in slaughter pits, so want to make sure NZTR are aware of the fate of all horses. This has sparked me off to do a OIA and thought that someone may be able to help with my request.

I'm not here to attack. I own an a TB that was in a bad state when he arrived. 

"" Truckloads of wild Kaimanawa horses will be slaughtered next month 

"It's absolutely devastating, we put a lot of hours in, leading up to the months of the muster, trying to find as many good homes as we possibly can. Sending truckloads of horses rolling out to the abattoir, its quite devastating and it really messes with your head. """(2018) 

Since the Department of Conservation's first muster in 1993, more than 2600 horses have been removed from the ranges. The largest muster was in 1997, when 1069 horses were removed  .(2019)

So even with the best of efforts to save these horses the abbatoir was the only solution , this is now an annual event .

Just now, Gruff said:

4.7 million horses are used for meat Worldwide anually Cassie, unfortunately if its not horses something else needs to lose its life. Add to that the numbers of cats and Dogs. :rcf-sad-2:

As an aside - our company uses frozen horse spleens (Mainly from Brazil and Argentina) and extracts a substance called Ferritin from them - this is then used as a Iron/blood supplement/medicine for Humans - so more by-products from horse slaughter than just dog food.

I was horrified with the footage of mistreatment on the ABC programme - but surely if a horse is slaughtered as humanley as possible this is a better scenario than a horse being unloved and rotting away in a paddock somewhere ( i.e no feed,grass, drenching etc etc)

I concur with poundforpound

There is no excuse for abuse but that is a related topic

If there are number of retired racehorses is greater than all the available homes, that's after all avenues of rehoming are exhausted, then what's your answer Cassie?

The number of cattle and sheep processed into food each year is mind boggling . I think the issue to some extent is the fact there is some sort of facade that all get rehomed. The 1 per cent figure to abatoir was a bit misleading and anyone who has any clue about the game knows how it all works .

Racing by most measures imho does a very good job , just needs to be open and transparent about realities and do absolute best .

Oddly Weir had some kind of re homing system going with a separate yard I understand so  this whole welfare thing twists back and forth on itself.

13 hours ago, Cassie L said:

And what about the horses that get exported to Australia..?  where do those TBs end up eventually. 1700 horses exported to Australia annually. Or do they return? 

Thanks guys. 

yknow, i admire someone would take the practical approach to have a unwanted horse serve in some other capacity...

afterall im sure Horses can have some other use... then just dogfood...

they are afterall easy to feed if you have plenty land.... so just a suggestion..

have horses to work the lands again... like they did in the old times, plowing with more updated plowers etc....

..im sure Cassie if you are genuine, about pursuing something worthwhile that both benefits Horses and mankind, it will inevitably suceed.. just as Horses being entertainment... they too can do much more!!

On 10/30/2019 at 8:04 AM, Gruff said:

On 10/30/2019 at 5:08 PM, Red Rum said:

The number of cattle and sheep processed into food each year is mind boggling . I think the issue to some extent is the fact there is some sort of facade that all get rehomed. The 1 per cent figure to abatoir was a bit misleading and anyone who has any clue about the game knows how it all works .

Racing by most measures imho does a very good job , just needs to be open and transparent about realities and do absolute best .

Oddly Weir had some kind of re homing system going with a separate yard I understand so  this whole welfare thing twists back and forth on itself.

Do you mean for Australia in this post or Nz? Thank you for your comment (and everyone's else comments too) I have been speaking to my friend who has done the OIA herself already so will wait to see the outcome. 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:11 PM, Cassie L said:

I have been speaking to my friend who has done the OIA herself already so will wait to see the outcome. 

I'm not quite clear what data you expect to get from the OIA request that is not already public information? For example, NZTR who may have relevant data on thoroughbreds is not subject to the OIA. Would you elaborate on what you are trying to find out more exactly? Thanks.

Need to run the bitch out of town. There is a concerted effort to stuff us up. Remember I posted this link in a previous post...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/116504178/why-melbourne-cup-parties-make-me-sick

Well I was asked to respond so I did a bit of research. So this is what I wrote to Stuff as a response....

"

Melbourne Cup season is once again upon us and I’m in awe with how quickly this time of the year has come around again. As a part owner of the 2000 Cup winner Brew, and another favourite of mine, Precedence, who ran in 4 Melbourne Cups and won $2m, I was stunned with Teresa Ramsey’s naïve account of the Melbourne Cup and her view that the horse racing industry had an uncompassionate view of ex-race horses.

Obviously Ms Ramsey knows very little of the industry, how horses are treated and cherished, and how human beings’ compassion and awareness improves after spending time with horses. Over history, they are arguably man’s best friend.

Speaking from experience, having worked with horses all my life, it is my opinion that the quality of care and attention a horse is afforded, in order to become a contender for the Melbourne Cup, is solely due to the pain staking preparation and love for the horse that owners and trainers provide them with.

Getting back to my two Melbourne Cup runners, Brew is now 25 years old. That’s about 82 in human years. Since his Melbourne Cup win, he has been a cadet with the Victorian mounted police and more recently one of the most popular horses at the Living Legends horse retirement property in Melbourne. He is often seen in a pose promoting charities that even he hasn’t heard of.

Precedence is a star as a competitor in the Australian Grand National Saddle Horse Championships. Fancy getting such a wonderful horse like him after 6 years with legendary trainer Bart Cummings,  - well trained, fed, groomed and loved… it would be like getting Cristiano Ronaldo on retirement and teaching him how to dance.

So back to Ms Ramsey’s ramblings, she talks of a a million dollar black yearling bought at Karaka. There was only one yearling bought at Karaka for $1m and his name became St Reims. He became New Zealand’s champion 3 year old winning the NZ Derby in 2002. He eventually stood as a stallion at the famous Haunui Farms Stud in Karaka.

Ms Ramsey then starts to talk about a coffin bone (normally known as the pedal bone) protruding through the soles of the front feet as a four year old. She goes on to say that “Protruding coffin bones is one of the more serious consequences of the racing industry and is usually a death sentence. But sadly, it's not unusual.” This is rubbish. As a major in equine exercise physiology, over the past 25 years I have only seen 2 horses with protruding pedal bones and both horses were ponies and not race horses. As most race horses have professional farriers attend them, most racehorses have adequate feet care.

After reading this statement, I am now suspect that Ms Ramsey has other motives and is not being fully honest. I agree that we need a complete program to look after our retired race horses but an Australian racehorse culling industry as depicted by ABC has disgusted every horse lover, with the Victorian Racing Industry recently announcing that $29m will be spent on a program designated to look after our retired race horses.

Sensationalism and mis information by the likes of Ms Ramsey will only unite the industry further to ensure that the love of our horses will include a well-managed program to look after our old timers. I should also talk about two other horses of mine called Snap Shot and Cuzzy Bro. Snap Shot is owned by a few of us including Ritchie McCaw and Ali Williams. He won 6 of his first 8 races and then hurt himself. He is now enjoying Waikato pastures in a paddock in front of the house after completing a horse re-training program. And Cuzzy Bro was a 3 day eventer, born in Australia, raced unsuccessfully as a two year old in NZ, re-trained to become an eventer, travelled to England to finish 7th in the 3 day eventing championship at Badminton and then flown back to New Zealand for retirement. He loves us and we love him. He’s now 75 in human years."

So this was the response that I received....

Hello Berri,

Your email to our opinion inbox has been sent on to me for consideration. As you can no doubt imagine, we have had feedback from our audience on Teresa's opinion piece. We do welcome other viewpoints and, while I appreciate the effort taken to write your piece, we currently have another submission from NZ Thoroughbred Racing under consideration for publication so will not on this occasion be publishing yours. Thanks for your email though - we do value hearing from our audience.

Colleen O'Hanlon

Chief Channel Director - Life & Style * My normal hours of work are 6am to 2.30pm *

E colleen.ohanlon@fairfaxmedia.co.nz | M (021) 568 766 | 158 Gloucester St, Christchurch 8011

So I contacted the NZTR....guess what....NZTR hadn't submitted a response. Now you tell me what's going on.....

Piss off Cassy L. You've been called out.