RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Just second hand...

Apparently Winston Peters gave an interview this morning where he said that if the racing clubs didn't sign over the rights to the racecourse assets, then he wasn't going to proceed with the Racing Bill?!?!?!

Only hearsay but it was on radio this morning....anyone have any suggestions as to how to find that interview?

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting stuff. Winston thinks Otaki and Kumara are the future of NZ Racing. RACE sounds like quite a switched on outfit. 

Otaki? Is it still the OMRC? I would have thought that in this PC World it wouldn’t be allowed! As for it being the future? Madness. Foxton would be better. Easy access from all areas within an hours drive and closer to the majority of the horse population in that zone. 

Alisdair Robertson says - <“But we orientate the stage away from the horses. I would guess about 80 percent of the people in that area won't go see a horse, and that's great. I can assure you that there's 100,000 people at Melbourne Cup day, and if 10,000 see a horse that's a miracle." >   He doesn’t Know what he’s talking about and I doubt he’s even been to MC day if he’s making stupid statements like that! Having been on track for “17” Melbourne Cups, I can sure Alisdair that it’s standing room only at Flemington when the horses jump and the crowd roars! When they come down the straight the first time, the majority of the 100,000 on course don’t see one horse - they see 24 !! So please, don’t make such silly statements. 

17 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Be a comedy ifit wasn't so real.  

How many times do people have to be told,  NZTR do not invest in the venues they are closing and in most cases in the last couple of decades never have, too many tracks and closing the ones that don't cost you anything to operate is the worst business acumen that could ever be displayed ,especially if they can't sell them up. 

If the tracks are handed over to a Govt organisation then they will end up in the hands of Maori tribes as under Section 40 of the PW Act surplus Crown land must be handed to Maori under the Treaty Of Waitangi to offset compensation. Just saying.

20 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I can see Winnie and his cohorts devising a bill to cover Incorporated Societies within the Racing fraternity to get at their assets

but I have a question to ask  
Is the Auckland Racing Club an incorporated Society as such.       And have they signed over their assets to the the encumbrant body.?
Or is it just the little clubs they pestering.

It becomes a catch 22 situation with some of the clubs doomed for the hatchet and be pillaged  be quick enough to perhaps deregister from the main body (for race days) dissolve the Racing Club under the incorporation rules and still carry on as training centres and such under their own steam Thus fulfilling most times their purposes under such objects of their incorporation dissolution.

They also carry on supporting the rest of the country’s Racing by the continued supply of horses ,trainers jockeys stablehand etc for the long term. WHICH IN MY OPINION WILL BE BETTER FOR RACING THAN SELLING UP THE COURSES .

Costing the RITA nothing as it has been as most little clubs tell you what’s been happening in the past.

5 hours ago, Whyisit said:

but I have a question to ask  
Is the Auckland Racing Club an incorporated Society as such.       And have they signed over their assets to the the encumbrant body.?
Or is it just the little clubs they pestering.

Indeed it is and has been since 1943. With assets well in excess of $100m I imagine Winnie and NZTR will be keen to see those assets signed over so they can be deployed for the good of the wider industry.

I agree in principal tha somehow club assets need to be deployed to fund the reshaping of the industry. One way of doing that which occurred to me might be that clubs agree to guarantee a sum up to say 5% or even 10% of their net assets to secure that funding. Just that as you say, you wouldn't want NZTR to be managing that. Might require a new and separate organisation set up for that purpose. The problem is how do you spend that funding in a way that it can actually pay its way and pay itself back and how do you get agreement about that?  I've said this recently, but NZTR have managed this century to turn TR from a business that was largely self-funding into a beneficiary that generates no net income from its own operations. Their doesn't appear to be anything on the horizon to change that. Without a clear plan to generate sufficient revenue, no amount of fund-raising will be any help.

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

It’s a very interesting situation this.

We have to fund the reshaping of the industry somehow, and using our assets more effectively seems a reasonable solution.

If that involves some rationalization, or a central body borrowing against club real estate then sobeit.

However, my grave concern would be the prospect of NZTR getting control of industry assets / cash given that nothing NZTR has done this century would give you confidence that they’d make wise choices 

Agree 100%. Until the Organisation is filtered and all the mud is excreted, why would you trust them with anymore money? To run costs up further? They don’t have a good track record do they?

4 hours ago, Leggy said:

I agree in principal tha somehow club assets need to be deployed to fund the reshaping of the industry. One way of doing that which occurred to me might be that clubs agree to guarantee a sum up to say 5% or even 10% of their net assets to secure that funding. Just that as you say, you wouldn't want NZTR to be managing that. Might require a new and separate organisation set up for that purpose. The problem is how do you spend that funding in a way that it can actually pay its way and pay itself back and how do you get agreement about that?  I've said this recently, but NZTR have managed this century to turn TR from a business that was largely self-funding into a beneficiary that generates no net income from its own operations. Their doesn't appear to be anything on the horizon to change that. Without a clear plan to generate sufficient revenue, no amount of fund-raising will be any help.

So you expect clubs with assets who have been treated appalling by the likes of NZTR and operated within their means and utilised their volunteer base to continue operating ,to front up and borrow money ,so that the same appalling cycle of treatment can occur again?  

I hope allot of these clubs think about what they are doing if that's the case.