RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dopey

Australia ABC CHANNEL 7/30 The Final Race

We need to be very adult about this. There is nothing wrong with human horse meat consumption as long as the horse meat can be certified as not having had any drugs, steroids, antibiotics or disease detected in the meat. It is tasty and healthy.

The problem that we have relates to emotional response, as horses and dogs have been regarded as members of man's best friends. We handle them from birth, pay for their education, feed them, pamper them, and control them. We have dreams of them that in the majority of cases don't come true. Then we wish to discard them unless they hold an emotional response great enough for us to care to look after them post racing. Sometimes they are born with such deformities that there is no hope, sometimes they are injured where there is no hope, and sometimes their ability (broodmare or racehorse) indicates that there is no commercial or emotional hope. 

So we arrive at the point of decision....being do we kill them. Many make that decision by putting them in a sale where it is known that the purchaser will kill them. Many are sold privately to the person who will kill them, or the brave owners make the decision to kill them by sending them to the works or killing them directly in a private environment.

The question for all of us to consider is where do we want to position ourselves and what message do we want to purvey to the outside world who are ambivalent to the enjoyment we get out of horses and the reality that most of them don't make it?

It is unrealistic to suggest that all horses can be re-trained and homed. Some are simply not suitable for anything apart from being a horse. So when I saw the ABC program I was disgusted with the methodology, appearance and handling management of the current Australian process. It also started me thinking about how this could be managed humanely  without compromising the position of all parties that may be involved in this cycle of life for our horses.

So I suppose that everything starts with a database that has various capabilities for the tracking and traceability of our different types of horses. NZTR should know where all the horses in NZ are and what their status is. So if we looked at the back end, we should have a NAIT style database (but one that works) which has a repository that can be interrogated to that every horse can be identified on every specific property. If they are moved, then using an APP, the party that instructs the transportation implements the removal data and by whom. The transportation service provider also inputs the transportation data, being when, where from and where to the horse was transported. Similarly, the receiver of the horse inputs where from, by whom transported, and the location where the horse was received. This process can be done seamlessly and any omission of data will send an automatic alert to the NZTR as these alerts will be activated automatically. 

At the same time an APP needs to be made available to stud masters, trainers, vets and owners so that they input data relating to their activities on a regular basis. The sales and transportation companies should also have API's to the database so that the NZTR data is updated accurately. The NZTR should also have an alerts server so that when there are issues on any matter, these should be recorded and alerted. The APP will also have various options for the disposal of horses so in real time these are recorded. If I had the ultimate choice, I'd put ear tags on all horses which record the weight and well-being of each horse remotely.

So the next question would be how should the cycle evolve. So the APP will take care of all matters on the studs. The vets and trainers will record their activities, so it is finally the owner's time. At any stage they make the decision....whether to race, retire, retrain, sell or kill. This is where a certain amount of funding is required from which ever party. 

If I had my choice there would be some sort of assessment program created for horses that were unwanted by their owners. This would assess their suitability for what ever they were capable of. Blunt but practical. These could be the super stars of different horse related activities. My horse Precedence, who raced in 4 Melbourne Cups is now Sydney's champion show horse. We're very proud of him.

Og the methods for killing, the most human way is killing them at a property without transporting them anywhere. Injection makes the meat un-usable. So if they are to be killed for meat, then why would they be transported in any other mode other than a proper horse box? Why would they be herded like cattle and chased, electrocuted. prodded by sticks or beaten like common slaves when they have been used to being led by people? This is the part of the game on the ABC program that made me puke. 

This is not a difficult process to create but if we don't, we will lose our rights to the animal rights activists.

Yes , reality is that thousands need to be humanely euthanised each year as we simply cant cater for every animal for 14+ years.

This is the same problem faced by the Greyhound industry.

The point surely is how this is handled and in the most humane way.............. yeah its no fairytale ending for things we love dearly.

Travelling through Europe particularly Switzerland/Austria/ Germany /France it was on many , many , menu's one I recall in a small village at the foot of the Eiger 200 grams of steak was about 32 Swiss Francs which at the time was about $60.

No I couldn't order it.......... bit like dog or a pet animal. Nor could I cook it.

I think they were still selling it in the UK up until 1980 but I'm not sure on that.

But I do think the meat should be eaten  if not by us then pet food 

The problem now is Racing NSW and Racing Australia were caught with pants down and for all his very very  clever business sense and good intentions the shit V’LANDYS was coming out with about cats and dogs being put down made him look foolish . It was like catching a kid in candy jar , oh the others all had one.The interviewer rightly never fell for classic deflection mode  said we not talking about those it's about your policy all being rehomed not being implemented .So they are sticking with all re homed so they cannot now reverse out the cul de sac and say oh too many to cope with we changed our minds we will kill most of them . There is a middle ground here they need to promote like the detailed post Berri put up .It will be real hard though for them not to carry on with all re homed policy  unless the horse population and set up of racing is drastically reduced .For other places how do Racing Australia check these far flung dust bowl tracks .

What happens to a horse raced until 6years old  in NSW and then up to Darwin for Cup campaign , goes no good for campaign stays up there gets retired the next year . Did most racing in NSW , is it sent back , which jurisdiction policy applies .How can someone like Chris Waller be expected to track the hundreds of ex racehorses been though his yard  , after 20 odd years it would be thousands .

If a horse is rehomed to three day events arena for example  whos responsibilty is it after that second career is done , can they come at racing if they find one of those horses at abatoir after 10 years in that sport .

Racing NSW have tried to improve matters last few years it appears with property purchases and fund so haven't been completely oblivious to the need .

The Racing authorities  an almost total basket case here now really so not sure they have the capacity to cope with an audit here , my gut feeling is the pet food people  would not be struggling for product in NZ . Is there a retirement home for old broodmares here somewhere?  

11 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The problem now is Racing NSW and Racing Australia were caught with pants down and for all his very very  clever business sense and good intentions the shit V’LANDYS was coming out with about cats and dogs being put down made him look foolish . It was like catching a kid in candy jar , oh the others all had one.The interviewer rightly never fell for classic deflection mode  said we not talking about those it's about your policy all being rehomed not being implemented .So they are sticking with all re homed so they cannot now reverse out the cul de sac and say oh too many to cope with we changed our minds we will kill most of them . There is a middle ground here they need to promote like the detailed post Berri put up .It will be real hard though for them not to carry on with all re homed policy  unless the horse population and set up of racing is drastically reduced .For other places how do Racing Australia check these far flung dust bowl tracks .

What happens to a horse raced until 6years old  in NSW and then up to Darwin for Cup campaign , goes no good for campaign stays up there gets retired the next year . Did most racing in NSW , is it sent back , which jurisdiction policy applies .How can someone like Chris Waller be expected to track the hundreds of ex racehorses been though his yard  , after 20 odd years it would be thousands .

If a horse is rehomed to three day events arena for example  whos responsibilty is it after that second career is done , can they come at racing if they find one of those horses at abatoir after 10 years in that sport .

Racing NSW have tried to improve matters last few years it appears with property purchases and fund so haven't been completely oblivious to the need .

The Racing authorities  an almost total basket case here now really so not sure they have the capacity to cope with an audit here , my gut feeling is the pet food people  would not be struggling for product in NZ . Is there a retirement home for old broodmares here somewhere?  

Nope, not to my knowledge.  Plenty of do-gooders wanting to 'rescue' old or neglected horses to rehome,  but, well-meaning though they may be,  the fate of these old horses at their 'new' homes is often worse than the alternative.

I remember Freda White telling me about Teak's euthanasia,  she groomed him until he was gleaming,  she said, oiled his feet, put on his black-and-white dress rug and walked him down to the end of her property where the deed was done.  The old chap thought he was off to a show.

Would be great if everyone treated their loyal workmates in that fashion,  but will never happen.

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

Nope, not to my knowledge.  Plenty of do-gooders wanting to 'rescue' old or neglected horses to rehome,  but, well-meaning though they may be,  the fate of these old horses at their 'new' homes is often worse than the alternative.

I remember Freda White telling me about Teak's euthanasia,  she groomed him until he was gleaming,  she said, oiled his feet, put on his black-and-white dress rug and walked him down to the end of her property where the deed was done.  The old chap thought he was off to a show.

Would be great if everyone treated their loyal workmates in that fashion,  but will never happen.

Gee he was a lovely horse, raced until he was 16 if my memory is correct.

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

NZTR will need to up their game and be ready with answers prior to getting the questions that could come depending on how it plays out in OZ and what action they take . Racing could be in deep shit depending on where the balance of power sits come next September and who wants  what to support who so they don't want needless skeletons in cupboard like poor record keeping .

I think the first step would be update who's got who in training , horses listed by a trainer in their records haven't seen a track here in years and must be inactive now or dare I say it   retired !!. They need to trawl records and get on top of it and maintain it . Employ a few IT savvy Uni  students over holidays to do it mind you if no shortage of people employed in their offices  maybe they could do it . They employed some to do a project on race day injury record keeping a few years back I understand .

Completely off subject flicked on telly this morning and trials were on , wow that trials winner of yours looks a good one , very very impressive .

30 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

NZTR will need to up their game and be ready with answers prior to getting the questions that could come depending on how it plays out in OZ and what action they take . Racing could be in deep shit depending on where the balance of power sits come next September and who wants  what to support who so they don't want needless skeletons in cupboard like poor record keeping .

I think the first step would be update who's got who in training , horses listed by a trainer in their records haven't seen a track here in years and must be inactive now or dare I say it   retired !!. They need to trawl records and get on top of it and maintain it . Employ a few IT savvy Uni  students over holidays to do it mind you if no shortage of people employed in their offices  maybe they could do it . They employed some to do a project on race day injury record keeping a few years back I understand .

Completely off subject flicked on telly this morning and trials were on , wow that trials winner of yours looks a good one , very very impressive .

Gee, thanks,  I hope she can go on with it,  she's always shown a bit but has struggled with a few immaturity problems

Wrt NZTR and records,  there doesn't appear to be any knowledge of,  or correlation to numbers/grades of horses in any given area looking at the programming of races.

And, yes,  trainers' records, as you say there are plenty that appear on their lists that haven't been around for years,  in some cases.

So now (I warned you about the ABC reporting) we learn that most of the horses in the ABC program were not racehorses ! Nobody condones animal cruelty but you should all understand the ABC agenda on this issue. The Racing Industry was unfairly tainted by this dishonest, poor excuse for a responsible media outlet and you should ignore the dishonest crap they come up with. Time and time again they are proven to be leftie loonie dishonest reporters of “the facts”. If only we had a “Trump” like character to get into this fake news swamp called the ABC.

41 minutes ago, Trump said:

So now (I warned you about the ABC reporting) we learn that most of the horses in the ABC program were not racehorses ! Nobody condones animal cruelty but you should all understand the ABC agenda on this issue. The Racing Industry was unfairly tainted by this dishonest, poor excuse for a responsible media outlet and you should ignore the dishonest crap they come up with. Time and time again they are proven to be leftie loonie dishonest reporters of “the facts”. If only we had a “Trump” like character to get into this fake news swamp called the ABC.

Too many people needing to sensationalise to feed their Families,at the expense of others Families. :rcf-sad-4:  Journalism is dead

On 10/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, Berri said:

So if we looked at the back end, we should have a NAIT style database (but one that works) which has a repository that can be interrogated to that every horse can be identified on every specific property. If they are moved, then using an APP, the party that instructs the transportation implements the removal data and by whom. The transportation service provider also inputs the transportation data, being when, where from and where to the horse was transported. Similarly, the receiver of the horse inputs where from, by whom transported, and the location where the horse was received. This process can be done seamlessly and any omission of data will send an automatic alert to the NZTR as these alerts will be activated automatically. 

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Sorry I mean, I couldn't have said this myself.  Sorry I mean, no-one could have said this.

6 minutes ago, Pickel said:

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Sorry I mean, I couldn't have said this myself.  Sorry I mean, no-one could have said this.

Best post and reaction of the year:rcfe-like::rcfe-like: