RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

Can you Imagine

Hello Pam, Presuming you opened the Att. I have tried to get those who run races to engage the young. Talking to a Club President here, this person told me that they mooted a College Day for students and were informed it wasnt an "appropriate" activity to engage in. So they dropped the idea.

For Gods sake Racing is an industry and if its not refreshed by youth will die. Oh is thats whats happening now?

52 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Hello Pam, Presuming you opened the Att. I have tried to get those who run races to engage the young. Talking to a Club President here, this person told me that they mooted a College Day for students and were informed it wasnt an "appropriate" activity to engage in. So they dropped the idea.

For Gods sake Racing is an industry and if its not refreshed by youth will die. Oh is thats whats happening now?

Actually,  no,  I couldn't open.  But yep,  exactly as you say.

Amplify Offers Support Through Keeneland College Scholarship Day

Monday, October 14, 2019 at 1:53 pm | Back to: Shared News

Updated: October 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Amplify-resized.jpg

Amplify, created to help improve horse racing through engagement, alignment and advocacy, offers its support of Keeneland College Scholarship Day, which will be held Friday, Oct. 18. Held since 2002, Keeneland offers free admission to the 2,000-3,000 college students who attend, hosting them at the North Terrace on track with giveaways, prizes, contests and food. Scholarships are raffled off throughout the day–$30,000 was given in April of this year, including $20,000 donated by team Runhappy. In additional to funds from Runhappy, Keeneland and the KTA, scholarships have been donated by Claiborne Farm, Glen Hill Farm, Hinkle Farm, Paramount Sales, Solis/Litt Bloodstock and Taylor Made Farm. A total of $70,000 has already been contributed for the Oct. 18 event.

“We are appreciative of Keeneland, the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association and team Runhappy [the McIngvales] for building College Day into a must-attend event for students,” said Madison Scott, Amplify co-founder. “Our industry has stepped up in a big way to support the event this fall–we have $70,000 committed to scholarships so far, with that total growing. It shows that as a collective group we see the need to promote racing and engage with a young audience. Amplify seeks to be that link, enabling those who want to contribute an actionable way to do so.”

Since its inception in June, Amplify has successfully executed five projects which engaged the industry with new audiences:

• 4-H Farm Tours–hosted 31 students and their families at central-Kentucky Farms.
  • Saratoga Tours–in collaboration with NYRA, Amplify hosted an enhanced tour of Saratoga, offering participants a tour of the backstretch, the opportunity to meet a trainer, go to the paddock for a race and seating at the races.
  • School curriculum–worked with UK professor teaching fourth grade students about horses by contributing to curriculum and offering additional information on racing
  • Keeneland College Ambassadors–worked to enhance existing program that is part of College Day, ensuring the 40 student volunteers have an understanding and appreciation of racing.
  • Retired Racehorse Project–ran backside tours of Keeneland and hosted competitors at the races in collaboration with Horse Country and Keeneland Amplify is now putting its efforts into Keeneland College Scholarship Day.

“Changing perception and cultivating fans does not always occur from one-off moments, but from a series of impressions over time,” Scott said. “By following up and engaging with the students who attend Scholarship Day, Amplify will create pathways into the industry for interested people and build connections to our sport.”

For more information on the initiative, contact amplifytb@gmail.com.

5 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Amplify Offers Support Through Keeneland College Scholarship Day

Monday, October 14, 2019 at 1:53 pm | Back to: Shared News

Updated: October 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Amplify-resized.jpg

Amplify, created to help improve horse racing through engagement, alignment and advocacy, offers its support of Keeneland College Scholarship Day, which will be held Friday, Oct. 18. Held since 2002, Keeneland offers free admission to the 2,000-3,000 college students who attend, hosting them at the North Terrace on track with giveaways, prizes, contests and food. Scholarships are raffled off throughout the day–$30,000 was given in April of this year, including $20,000 donated by team Runhappy. In additional to funds from Runhappy, Keeneland and the KTA, scholarships have been donated by Claiborne Farm, Glen Hill Farm, Hinkle Farm, Paramount Sales, Solis/Litt Bloodstock and Taylor Made Farm. A total of $70,000 has already been contributed for the Oct. 18 event.

“We are appreciative of Keeneland, the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association and team Runhappy [the McIngvales] for building College Day into a must-attend event for students,” said Madison Scott, Amplify co-founder. “Our industry has stepped up in a big way to support the event this fall–we have $70,000 committed to scholarships so far, with that total growing. It shows that as a collective group we see the need to promote racing and engage with a young audience. Amplify seeks to be that link, enabling those who want to contribute an actionable way to do so.”

Since its inception in June, Amplify has successfully executed five projects which engaged the industry with new audiences:

• 4-H Farm Tours–hosted 31 students and their families at central-Kentucky Farms.
  • Saratoga Tours–in collaboration with NYRA, Amplify hosted an enhanced tour of Saratoga, offering participants a tour of the backstretch, the opportunity to meet a trainer, go to the paddock for a race and seating at the races.
  • School curriculum–worked with UK professor teaching fourth grade students about horses by contributing to curriculum and offering additional information on racing
  • Keeneland College Ambassadors–worked to enhance existing program that is part of College Day, ensuring the 40 student volunteers have an understanding and appreciation of racing.
  • Retired Racehorse Project–ran backside tours of Keeneland and hosted competitors at the races in collaboration with Horse Country and Keeneland Amplify is now putting its efforts into Keeneland College Scholarship Day.

“Changing perception and cultivating fans does not always occur from one-off moments, but from a series of impressions over time,” Scott said. “By following up and engaging with the students who attend Scholarship Day, Amplify will create pathways into the industry for interested people and build connections to our sport.”

For more information on the initiative, contact amplifytb@gmail.com.

What a great initiative.....and no, not in download folder, or anywhere else.   Refused to have anything to do with it!

Seemingly racing in Keeneland is held in much higher regard than our industry here is. More and more it seems to me that the image of racing in NZ is on the decline & I'm not sure that there is enough impetus, or even willingness to halt the slide.

At one end of the bell curve, it is perceived as being 'elitist while at the other the perception is that it is full of rogues and vagabonds. The area in the middle is populated by those who either see it as a sunset industry or feel it is an industry that they themselves wouldn't want to work in (hard work, long hours, low pay, limited future prospects) so consequently, don't want their kids to go there either.

Twenty years ago if I told people I met aged 20-60 that I lived, breathed and made a living from racing a reasonable percentage of those people would react quite positively and seem interested. Today, most new people I meet (outside of those inside the industry) don't react positively. They usually know nothing about any facet of the industry, wouldn't dream of having a bet (sports or racing) even when told it is easy to do online & they certainly don't see a day at the races as being a great day out.

It is almost as if the industry is so out-of-the reach of the ordinary person, tainted by a poor image, and/or so meaningless that it is off the radar of most.  Its not in-vogue or 'sexy' and career-wise it isn't encouraged through ignorance of what might be possible.

Despite the efforts of many industry players (fragmented efforts for the most part), we are still in a slide that isn't going to be revived by merely injecting more money into stakes.

It fills me with sadness that I am devoid of ideas for change & can't see a light at the end of this dark tunnel. Perhaps, there is a revival just around the corner, I certainly hope so, but have no idea where it might be coming from.