RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Hawera

Large fields today with the prospect of a number of owners attending, but plenty more owners sitting at home watching on TV instead. What incentive is there for an owner to attend other than the joy of watching there horse perform & a drink afterwards with a bit of cheese.

How about incentivising owners to attend on Saturdays with an on course only boost of say 15% on fixed odds on their runner up to say $500.

7 hours ago, barryb said:

Large fields today with the prospect of a number of owners attending, but plenty more owners sitting at home watching on TV instead. What incentive is there for an owner to attend other than the joy of watching there horse perform & a drink afterwards with a bit of cheese.

How about incentivising owners to attend on Saturdays with an on course only boost of say 15% on fixed odds on their runner up to say $500.

Had the $50M FOB platform been spent wisely these types of incentives would have been easy to operate with temporary accounts on the day.. Noticed a while ago a club in Oz had some sort of voucher system operating whereas the owner collected the voucher on arrival. 

2 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

Quality racing at the best track in the CD. Notice how horses were winning from anywhere. Most interesting was how horses who go well in the mud were the equal of firm track performers (Red Sierra a case in point). And the track is on its last days. Give me strength.

I was thinking exactly the same watching those races, and seeing the big crowd.  Much better racing than all those mud meetings at New Plymouth.  For some strange reason New Plymouth gets lots of favours. I don't know if most people are aware, but New Plymouth gets about $45,000 of extra industry subsidies for that interprovincial meeting of theirs. It was an interesting enough novelty idea in its day, but has certainly had its day.

Interesting that we saw good racing with heaps of horses at Timaru on friday and then Hawera on Saturday: both tracks that are due to be shut down. It does make you wonder how bright the people are making these decisions, and makes you very wary of the other decisions they are making.

8 hours ago, hedley said:

I guess that RITA has her sights upon Hawera as a 'get rid of'  track..silly bitch RITA

No worries Hedley, they are going to keep Waverley going (population 1,000 people)!!! The integrity of the 'closing down tracks' decision was questionable from the get go based on decisions like this.

46 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Great days racing, super hospitality and a team of people that are passionate about the game.

Its fine closing all these tracks down, but when you see the likes of Otaki, Awapuni, and Wellington in the winter time, absolute swamps, where is the racing going to be held?

I don't think it is 'fine' closing tracks down.

Market forces will decide which clubs do or do not survive, H & S regulations, track upkeep,  etc ;  but the big stick wielded by head office with little thought or knowledge just doesn't cut it..IMO.

Locally,  Timaru is for 'closure'  ,  Friday's meeting there just showed how irrational that notion is.  Ashburton is the 'preferred' option to remain.  No disrespect to the Ashburton locals,  but the facilities for horses are awful and considerable funding will be needed to bring it all up to scratch.  Timaru facilities are excellent....and,  as you say,  where will the races go without options?

14 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Given the above positive comments about the track, I wonder if the betting reflected the same?

How can you trust todays figures when the new format keeps glitching and punters cant get their bets on???!!! Big fields tells you that the owners and trainers want to go there. Year after year this meeting shows up a lot of North Island clubs. Right on the back of the over rated Hastings carnival too! Watch some of the finishes from Saturday - poor T Lee was in need of a few Rothmans after every race.

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

I don't think it is 'fine' closing tracks down.

Market forces will decide which clubs do or do not survive, H & S regulations, track upkeep,  etc ;  but the big stick wielded by head office with little thought or knowledge just doesn't cut it..IMO.

Locally,  Timaru is for 'closure'  ,  Friday's meeting there just showed how irrational that notion is.  Ashburton is the 'preferred' option to remain.  No disrespect to the Ashburton locals,  but the facilities for horses are awful and considerable funding will be needed to bring it all up to scratch.  Timaru facilities are excellent....and,  as you say,  where will the races go without options?

The thing that worries me is that if they make such obviously wrong decisions in cases like Timaru, that virtually anyone with even the smallest interest in Racing can tell is blatantly wrong, then how bad are some of the decisions in much more complex areas that few of us understand. 

Based on the Timaru decision I tended to discredit the whole Messara report, and as for NZTR's random track closing decisions, well, most of them are just too silly for words, purely an example of wanting to be seen as doing something, anything.

I think we need a lot more input from Trainers like Pam and Chris who see the things at many of these tracks that the general punting public don't notice.

15 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Given the above positive comments about the track, I wonder if the betting reflected the same?

I'm sure they are pretty good for a club run mostly by volunteers, wouldn't cost the industry a helluva a lot from that perspective.

Was an interesting day though . Was lots of young people on course but weren’t there to enjoy the horses more to get smashed .Dont want to sound like a moaning old bugger as I love a beer and good time as much as anyone just need to find a balance . When your in the main stand trying to watch a race and you’ve pissed guys with the backs to the races swearing away at the top of their lungs it’s a turn off .

3 hours ago, puha said:

Was an interesting day though . Was lots of young people on course but weren’t there to enjoy the horses more to get smashed .Dont want to sound like a moaning old bugger as I love a beer and good time as much as anyone just need to find a balance . When your in the main stand trying to watch a race and you’ve pissed guys with the backs to the races swearing away at the top of their lungs it’s a turn off .

But hang on - isnt that the new strategy the city clubs are adopting?? Champers galore and corporates networking away. No thought about the actual racing.

3 hours ago, puha said:

Not an easy one. If young people (or any people for that matter) book tables or gazebos on promo days the club gets all of the $25 or $50 per head they pay, or an admission charge on special days plus a reasonable mark up on the booze. On the other hand they only get a small percentage of each dollar that goes through the tote and the likelihood of increasing that in the foreseeable future is about nil. The bottom line is the most important thing but either way there is still not enough being turned over to keep the industry from destruction in the long term IMHO.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Not an easy one. If young people (or any people for that matter) book tables or gazebos on promo days the club gets all of the $25 or $50 per head they pay, or an admission charge on special days plus a reasonable mark up on the booze. On the other hand they only get a small percentage of each dollar that goes through the tote and the likelihood of increasing that in the foreseeable future is about nil. The bottom line is the most important thing but either way there is still not enough being turned over to keep the industry from destruction in the long term IMHO.

Good points Blue.

Easy for us "old timers" to look down our noses at the youngsters on track partying ... but without them the industry is much poorer, and a small % of them might keep coming.

Also fair to say that some of the biggest punters I know aren't adverse to drinking plenty on track and misbehaving ... not that I condone that at all ;-)

1 hour ago, THE TORCH said:

But hang on - isnt that the new strategy the city clubs are adopting?? Champers galore and corporates networking away. No thought about the actual racing.

Seems to be . In hindsight maybe an area cordoned off for those that aren’t interested in the horses just a day out on the piss . It’s not a great look or place to be when you can’t here the commentary in members stand just F and C this and that at shouting volume oblivious to a race is actually underway . Just needs better management  that’s all . I like a beer at races don’t get me wrong so not a party pooper at all. 

2 hours ago, THE TORCH said:

Some interesting points here. Being a punter I do get a "little" annoyed when the place becomes more of a party than a race-meeting. However, we must accept that there are very few actual punters at the races these days and the youngsters do create some atmosphere, which is sadly lacking at most NZ meetings these days.

So, weighting everything up, I think we do need to accept a little inconvenience if it gets more people on course. These days any major event, be it racing or cricket, is more about the occasion and the atmosphere than the actual sport itself. We are just lucky people want to come to the races with the standard of facilities on offer I suppose

49 minutes ago, puha said:

Seems to be . In hindsight maybe an area cordoned off for those that aren’t interested in the horses just a day out on the piss . It’s not a great look or place to be when you can’t here the commentary in members stand just F and C this and that at shouting volume oblivious to a race is actually underway . Just needs better management  that’s all . I like a beer at races don’t get me wrong so not a party pooper at all. 

Yep. They usually utilise the lower bar in the public stand for the young ones on this particular race day. One year however the President forgot to get the permit in on time and they all ended up in the members and it was a shambles apparently. A few stories that cant be repeated on here! I know quite a few of these young ones do like a punt but the majority have no idea and are nine tenths hammered when entering the course.

Anyone who was in the "blue" bar at last years meeting will never forget the antics of two sloshed heffers trying to get over the wire fence at around 1pm. The laughter could be heard in Eltham. Funniest thing Ive seen on a race course.

From my experience some of the sponsors guests and young and old party goers actually spend much more on the punt than regular punters. As they only go racing once or twice a year they allocate $200 or so for their punting. They have no idea that many of the regular racegoers only spend a couple of dollars a race.

I can recall being in one of the elite bars at Ellerslie many years ago and some of the "elite" were only spending a couple of dollars a race. Contrast that with sponsors events where I have seen quite big bets from occasional race-goers.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, THE TORCH said:

Quality racing at the best track in the CD. Notice how horses were winning from anywhere. Most interesting was how horses who go well in the mud were the equal of firm track performers (Red Sierra a case in point). And the track is on its last days. Give me strength.

Yes was good to see the track back to its best after the last few years being very in different and poorly presented. Obviously they now the penny has dropped about keeping these tracks in better order and they have seen the results with great fields, fair racing and good support from the crowd. Big thumbs up.

16 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Great days racing, super hospitality and a team of people that are passionate about the game.

Its fine closing all these tracks down, but when you see the likes of Otaki, Awapuni, and Wellington in the winter time, absolute swamps, where is the racing going to be held?

Chris, who really cares about winter racing?

The facts are that all three tracks you mention are generally much better in the summer than anything up north excluding Ellerslie [rested through the winter] and Avondale.

Te Aroha is a chance but it's very much bush.

Ruakaka - sandpit

Pukekohe - ask P4P for the latest update.

Te Rapa - sandpit

Tauranga - flies to bits

Matamata - too hard

Rotorua - horses for courses, pumas and poor grass

Taupo - bush

Who have I left out?

On 10/13/2019 at 5:40 PM, SMD is rife said:

Reportedly around the $160,000 on course      Not bad.      I guess the Messara mantrix followers believe that local on course money will happily go down to Awapuni Trentham when Hawera closes.