RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Sickopunter

Claiming Races

32 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Works in USA, works at the trots. Why not? Has it ever been suggested or attempted?

I can't really see what the point of it would be. As I see it they are largely  designed to fill fields up and give horses an opportunity that might otherwise not be competitive.

In NZ we have no shortage of horses in the lower grades and no trouble filling fields at that level. Just look at Timaru this week. 11 races; god knows how many horses balloted and eliminated; 39 noms for one maiden race.

We have no real shortage of horses, we just don't utilise them properly. Claiming races taking a slot on an 8 race card would just mean even more maidens and 65s eliminated each week.

27 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I can't really see what the point of it would be. As I see it they are largely  designed to fill fields up and give horses an opportunity that might otherwise not be competitive.

In NZ we have no shortage of horses in the lower grades and no trouble filling fields at that level. Just look at Timaru this week. 11 races; god knows how many horses balloted and eliminated; 39 noms for one maiden race.

We have no real shortage of horses, we just don't utilise them properly. Claiming races taking a slot on an 8 race card would just mean even more maidens and 65s eliminated each week.

They could look at Optional Claimers , put a horse up for claim in low grade race  it gets  weight allowance against a certain value compared to those not on the claim . Problem is in South Island a lot of  rating 65 and below horses worth less than few  tanks of gas . Good thing about claiming is assuming horse comes through race fine you've got a horse ready to go straight away . Claiming works well in States or Europe to a lessor degree because claim one at 5k , put it in a 10k next week might get a win and turn a profit in few days because so many races and no travel costs in respect of States.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:15 AM, We're Doomed said:

Youve picked 1 race from Timaru to make your point? Watched any races from the North Island this year?

1 hour ago, Sickopunter said:

Youve picked 1 race from Timaru to make your point? Watched any races from the North Island this year?

Yes, I am well aware of all the $35,000 open races and $30,000 rating 82s in the north over the last six months with only 5 or 6 starters. However, surely if the lure of a $35,000 stake and only five opponents isn't enough to attract horses then a $10,000? claiming race is hardly likely to be any more successful?