RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Vale Tom McGillivray

lA legend in the greyhounds stayers history., Tom will be laid to rest today at TeAwamutu  today. I think if I could convince Peter Jackson to make a movie of the successful saga of the McGillivray success in NZ's best staying races in 1997/98 it would be a box office hit.   There were that many turns and twists and unlikely scenario's it was unbelievable

Rest in peace Tom, a genuine, hard working decent human being. A large loving Whanau will gather around Jill. 

Bet on Bessie is the dog that comes to mind from the McGillivray kennel.

Won Silver Collar late 90's...2nd the next year if I remember rightly? And I'm sure the Mcgillivray's weren't one hit wonders but Bessie is the one I remember...

Agree GOM...Mcgillivray = legend greyhound trainers of stayers.

RIP Tom. 

Kia kaha to his family.

Understand Tom had a great send off, Mike I belive you gave a rousing tribute to Tom about his life as a greyhound trainer. I remember his good stayers contesting some off staying classics down here in Christchurch.

7 hours ago, Lowdown said:

Bet on Bessie is the dog that comes to mind from the McGillivray kennel.

Won Silver Collar late 90's...2nd the next year if I remember rightly? And I'm sure the Mcgillivray's weren't one hit wonders but Bessie is the one I remember...

Agree GOM...Mcgillivray = legend greyhound trainers of stayers.

RIP Tom. 

Kia kaha to his family.

Gotta Cruise won the Collar in '97 and would have been the first dog to go back to back  in '98 but had to settle for second behind Bet on Bessie. A notable Collar quinella.

Yes Jape and followed that up the same year by getting the quinella in NZ  stayers cup the  on your track. Quinella in both hose events from a kennel with only a couple of dogs all homebred. Bessie followed that up in 1999 by running 2nd in the silver collar Huge achievement by a trainer from Pukeatua

12 hours ago, bus stop said:

Understand Tom had a great send off, Mike I belive you gave a rousing tribute to Tom about his life as a greyhound trainer. I remember his good stayers contesting some off staying classics down here in Christchurch.

Yes BS Got a laugh when I recounted the time Tom and Jill were returning from a long day at Wellington track. Way out in the outback 11pm and they got a bloody puncture. Tom got out and called Jill to hold a torch while he changed the wheel. Jill said she was amazed at the agility and speed at which Tom worked. She said it actually astounded her. He said shut up mother and hurry up and get in the van. Jill was a bit taken aback but when they were safely underway Tom said " I was shitting myself as there was a drug deal going down in the bushes where they stopped"