RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

Sydney racing > Melbourne racing

You have to hand it to Peter Vlandys he’s single handledly elevated Sydney racing past that of the bleak city.

The Everest, Kosciusko, Golden Eagle etc and the jewel in the Crown, the Golden Slipper .

No one cares about the November European Cup race any more , of course other than the restaurant and bar owners around Southbank, and Lloyd :rcfe-nerd-1:and Nick and whoever happens to be their trainer that particular week. Lucky they’ve got the Cox Plate but it’s looking more like another European race unless a 3yo stands up, gygt :ph34r:

Everyone is now talking about the Everest.:rcf-shocked-2:

i think you sheep sharers should get PV over for a guest stint to sort out your industry after he’s sorted out the GGOA that is.

Even the top jocks have snubbed Melbourne for the Everest, the rot has set in for Melbourne and it’s going to get worse....

At least Victoria still has the ‘bool.:rcf-in-love:

1 hour ago, pogo(aus) said:

You have to hand it to Peter Vlandys he’s single handledly elevated Sydney racing past that of the bleak city.

The Everest, Kosciusko, Golden Eagle etc and the jewel in the Crown, the Golden Slipper .

No one cares about the November European Cup race any more , of course other than the restaurant and bar owners around Southbank, and Lloyd :rcfe-nerd-1:and Nick and whoever happens to be their trainer that particular week. Lucky they’ve got the Cox Plate but it’s looking more like another European race unless a 3yo stands up, gygt :ph34r:

Everyone is now talking about the Everest.:rcf-shocked-2:

i think you sheep sharers should get PV over for a guest stint to sort out your industry after he’s sorted out the GGOA that is.

Even the top jocks have snubbed Melbourne for the Everest, the rot has set in for Melbourne and it’s going to get worse....

At least Victoria still has the ‘bool.:rcf-in-love:

Well I must say the Everest doesn't really interest me. All of these new races Sydney is introducing does seem to be detracting from some of their existing races. Some of the long established group 2 and 3 races are attracting fairly small unexciting fields. Throwing money at it doesn't necessarily solve all the problems. The crowds for these big new meetings are still only about a quarter of what they get on each day of cup week in Melbourne.

42 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Well I must say the Everest doesn't really interest me. All of these new races Sydney is introducing does seem to be detracting from some of their existing races. Some of the long established group 2 and 3 races are attracting fairly small unexciting fields. Throwing money at it doesn't necessarily solve all the problems. The crowds for these big new meetings are still only about a quarter of what they get on each day of cup week in Melbourne.

Not sure that is correct. They got over 40,000 there last year on Everest Day. Same day Caulfield had 22,000 on Guineas Day.

The more interesting point is that 78% of tickets at Randwick were pre-sold to Under 35's

That's called hitting your target market....

personally i think the everest is just a big wank for the few rich enough to by a slot...the small guys dont have a chance..i know they can negotiate but i say again the slot owners are just rich wankers ..why should a battler with a good horse have to share with a complete stranger ,and someone they probably dont even like.

having said that there is no doubt sydney can market well and get the crowds...especially the young ones

dont know whether sydney/melbourne having major races happening on same dates and trying to outdo each other is healthy...trainers,jockeys,horses are split between the two ,so we dont get all of the best competing with each other..they used to alternate and give each other their time in the sun

your distain for melbourne ,is fair enough ,and i totally agree that the european invasion has ruined the cup..they certainly need to change the qualifying criteria.                                                                   but dont you agree the splitting of horses,jocks,trainers diminishes the over all product                                                                                                                                                                                                     dont you want to see your horses pitted against those from the south ,to find the best.                                                                                                                                                                                                     it would give you more ammo to fire , at your southern bretheryn

I'd like to see the MC rules changed to be y invitation only with the best stayers from all over the world. Say, 2 from each of USA/Japan/France/Engl/Ireland/ S Africa (?)/ NZ and the rest from Australia.

1 minute ago, weasel57 said:

I'd like to see the MC rules changed to be y invitation only with the best stayers from all over the world. Say, 2 from each of USA/Japan/France/Engl/Ireland/ S Africa (?)/ NZ and the rest from Australia.

Don't think you would want best from US , I think San Juan Capistrano , BC Marathon , Belmont Gold  Cup and American St Leger are only races at mile 6 and above all year and the marathon was caned from main BC programme because fields were so poor . They normally strung out at large intervals at finish . The Japanese and Euros would distance the yanks . There would be limited races at mile and half as well.

The best thing to come out of Sydney is the .........road to Melbourne .

Not even the 'tall poppy syndrome' dreamers of Sydney can convince realists that an event with 45,000 attendees is in the same class as an event attracting 100,000 plus !

The name Everest has close association with NZ ,which is appropriate as NZ supplies Aussies top trainers and jockeys !

And if the Everest worth conquering I'm confident Kiwis will give it a second glance and take it over as we did the Melbourne Cup.

Incidentally I note how the NRL has lifted its profile and standard since Melbourne and Kiwis entered the fray.

And I note how a Kiwi Josh Papalii has now taken over as the top player in League from the mighty Cam Smith ,and James Fiasco.

That was written by P.Gallen so may not be the full quid !

As the Aussie sheila commented when she found out she was pregnant...." I hope it's mine" !

You can always tell an Aussie ,but you can't tell em much !

I love racing in Sydney and Melbourne .Have been to Randwick's big days, Doncasters and Sydney Cups  plenty of times and 6 Melbourne Cups and loved everyone of them . Sydney realised the racing fans were pissed off with the imports taking over their iconic race and came up with the Everest ,It is a brilliant marketing idea and the crowds prove that .At 14 million race if I was a battler with a good horse I wouldn't mind sharing the stakes with some rich people who cares if I don;t like him .They haven't forgotten about the lower grade as the Kosciuszko is another brilliant race  .!4 million brings out the best horses and jockeys and that  unlike the MC they can chose their horses .IMHO if I had to choose which meeting I would go to Flemington  or Randwick I would pick MC by a nose.Best Cup day out in Aussie  Broome Cup  WA big bars ,birds and bbqs  2nd Darwin Cup  NT  big bars ,birds and bbqs and Bookies love those times cheers BH

Nothing beats bedgerebong , Birdsville or bong bong mate, tradition, cash, whatever:P

those are unique events, Broome and Darwin sound great too.

the Everest after two years has everyone sitting up to take notice, a capacity crowd assured , the kosckiosko is a boon for small country owners and trainers, a self funded race,   NZ could take note of this concept.

Vlandys has the Melbourne establishment on the hop and good on him. A real promoter who has done great things including programme very lucrative races to tempt owners of 3 yo colts to keep them racing at 4 and onwards .

Meanwhile in Melbourne at the quarantine centre Richie Rich, Wong Chun Sun , the sheikh of Arabique, and the Williams team gaze lovingly at their charges as they  attempt to win another jumpers flat with horses the average Aussie punter needs a racing post subscription to fathom.

Premature geriatrification :lol: the Everest day ;) is the cure 

The big differences between the Everest and the Melbourne Cup races are twofold. One race has a higher prize pool but on a $600,000 cost to enter. The other race “STOPS THE NATION”. Go figure. They are both great attractions and I think that the MC will always be the race that STN, but it didn’t need to take the locals out to achieve it. 

33 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Just for a laugh I’ll throw a couple out there.

A NZ horse ( with an NZ beside it’s name ) will earn a decent prize in this years MC.....and it won’t be much of a Surprise Baby

Secondly, an Ocean Park ( NZ ) will win the great race within four years.....and it’s highly likely to have my name on it 

Hasn’t that already won the Cup in 1925 Leo :rcfe-happy-3:

They've certainly generated a lot of marketing and hype but the whole thing does seem to be an effort to spite Melbourne. And outside of the racing community I don't think the general public really have heard of the Everest race. A 1200m sprint on a bog track (and entry restricted to the very wealthy) isn't exactly the greatest way to show off the sport imo.

11 hours ago, mckenzie said:

They've certainly generated a lot of marketing and hype but the whole thing does seem to be an effort to spite Melbourne. And outside of the racing community I don't think the general public really have heard of the Everest race. A 1200m sprint on a bog track (and entry restricted to the very wealthy) isn't exactly the greatest way to show off the sport imo.

You are kidding right ?? Never heard of the race.....??

300,000 people signed a petition to stop them advertising it on the Sydney Opera House last year.

Despite that, over 40,000 turned up to watch the races......they know about it alright.....:rolleyes:

Funniest post ever

a bog track, are you a meteorologist ?

Have you heard of Van der Hum ?

all the talk about the race being for wealthy owners??? You blokes are kidding, have a look at the Melbourne cup !! Then have a look at the Everest , REDZEL and it’s owners, a SYNDICATE, not sheikhs, not Williams, not wing Chun sun, not billionaires....just battlers.

if the rich haven’t got one good enough for the Cup they buy a European in the lead up :lol: just so they can be in the big jumpers flat.

you blokes are dead set off with the pixies.

Vlandys has pulled Melbourne’s pants down and they don’t like it.

Every man and his dog knows the Cup is now a put on for Europeans .

Thank God for the bool.

15 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Just for a laugh I’ll throw a couple out there.

A NZ horse ( with an NZ beside it’s name ) will earn a decent prize in this years MC.....and it won’t be much of a Surprise Baby

Secondly, an Ocean Park ( NZ ) will win the great race within four years.....and it’s highly likely to have my name on it 

One of those will be looking for a ballot exemption at Flemington on Saturday.....;)

37 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

You are kidding right ?? Never heard of the race.....??

300,000 people signed a petition to stop them advertising it on the Sydney Opera House last year.

Despite that, over 40,000 turned up to watch the races......they know about it alright.....:rolleyes:

Dunno if the spat over the Opera House did much for racing in general.

Good advertising for the 'new race' , but damaging to racing maybe.

40,000 at an event in Sydney ...is that amazing ?

MCG exceeds that many ,many times each year .

19 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

The Opera snobs hated it, and I've no idea how it got approved, but the publicity it generated for the race was invaluable.

40 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Yeah that's actually what I was referring to, when it happened there were people saying "what is this Everest race??". Sure, if you follow racing the Everest is big news but for the average Joe there's the Melbourne Cup and not much more when it comes to horse racing.