RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

2yo and racing different distances

Some where in our industry there must be a brain that processes logic. We are failing at most things racing and one of them is the platform of racing distances for our two year olds. In fact I might add all racing but let's just stick to the 2yos. I watch racing from all around the world so I suppose I have a slightly more expansive view on what is right or wrong. Not saying I'm always right (you there Leo), just saying that if your knowledge filter's gain is open, you probably have a better perspective. I also travel extensively and go and look at things that interest me. Horses is one of them. So imagine standing in a stable in France, looking at a whole bunch of blue bloods by the best sires out of cracking families and spying a cracking put together colt that could grace any turf anywhere in the world. Strong, powerful sort, sensational head with a great balanced jowl, good size, great eye, ever so slightly out in near fore but nothing to get squeamish about. Knees closed up, not up behind, looking a picture of health.

So on type a really nice 2 yo. The month is May and he's just had a quiet gallop with 15 others in a string. Moves beautifully. So thinking this will be one to watch, I sidle up to the trainer and cheekily ask him where he was going to run. The response stopped me. "I am going to run him in a maiden 1600m race in the later part of summer " was the response " probably on a lessor track for confidence".

Well there you go. !600m first up for a 2yo who looked like an early 2yo but with scope. So this was the result....the horse in the Hamdan colours blue and white...raced in front all the way

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/race-replays/2/4041/

Now I fully expect this horse won't break down. He won't have his career extinguished  or curtailed due to having to run flat out over too short a distance, on bad tracks where you have to accelerate around bends because you've had a bad barrier draw, or that the racing surface is buggered. I expect this horse to go on to a listed stakes race, back over the right distance and then on to other assignments as a three year old with high expectations.

Why don't our leaders understand that physiologically 1200m racing for our 2yos is limiting our potential and the potential of our horses?

If they don't look at this aspect of NZ racing with urgency, then they are all morons of the highest accord.

The Curragh Sunday , whole card 2 year old races as turf season nears end , everything from 5 furlongs to mile races , Group Race,  maidens, auction race for lower priced horses  and nursery handicaps .Will be full fields  and  plenty of options for trainers to  run horse at suitable distance .

The horse posted on thread has a very smart year older sibling , unbeaten into French Derby ran 3rd unraced since .

33 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Point taken, and largely agree with you Fruit...but on a minor note, that’s a nice enough horse but his action isn’t that great, what I’d call a “powerful front end action best suited to dead to sort ground”

He might improve with experience though so I shan’t judge him just yet 

Going description as very soft not sure pen , they go in down to knees sometimes in France especially at Auteuil. 

The half brother Motamaris has three soft to very soft ground wins before Derby defeat , struck for home early but was run down by two very  high class horses. .Forth home that day  Cape of Good Hope now with Hayes yard .

Not so sure about him only being a wet tracker. Half brother Montmaris went from handicap win to running third on good track in the French Derby. Beaten by two exceptional horses, one who can probably challenge Enable in the Arc and the other not a stayer and probably needs 1600m to show his best. Dam is half to Tamayuz who was a good track runner(won Jean Prat on good) by Nayef (Champion Stakes, Prince of Wales on good tracks). Tamayuz since sired G Force and Mustashary who both won Gp1's on good tracks. 

Also dam is by Anaaba whose best horses are good/ firm track animals. It'll be interesting to watch. My call is that this is a very good horse. But 1st up over 1600m as a two year old doesn't mean he doesn't have speed. Just means this is his best distance at this stage of his life. If pushed over 1200m they may not have a horse for later. That's the point.

The morons should realise that firstly this shouldn't be in a "queue", and secondly, if they don't do something about this, then there will be no need for any queue.

3 hours ago, Berri said:

The morons should realise that firstly this shouldn't be in a "queue", and secondly, if they don't do something about this, then there will be no need for any queue.

Quite seriously Berri, I don't think there is anyone who looks at these sorts of things. There are so many structural things that could easily be changed to enhance the industry at little cost, but no one is really interested enough or clever enough to do them. I have even radically suggested that the SI should consider a 2yo race further than 1,200m myself in the past. It is all "big picture" stuff these days; no one is interested in "boring" things. Now if you were to suggest 25 race courses that should be closed down you would get lots of interest. That is the sort of thing that enthuses people these days.