RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

What a joke

So taking it one step further, as there are not enough juniors to service a full field clubs in the north should therefore not programme these races at all.     It's a hell of a situation and clubs/HRNZ should have held urgent discussions with Industry participants to find either a solution or at least a temporary fix - e.g. allow drivers under 50 wins but not juniors to fill the remaining vacancies in these races, or bring juniors north (the RIU seen to do it so obviously cost no problem?)     But I suppose the real answer will be "Tough bikkies to the owners"

There are 12 juniors in the North Island. Myself, Luke Whittaker, Fergus Schumacher, Dylan Ferguson, Nate Delany, Craig Smith, Taitlyn Hanara, Kim Blakemore, Kaleb Bublitz, Andrew Drake, Scott Iremonger & Sheridan Rapley (who is yet to have a drive).

I believe both Nate & Sheridan don't have drives in the race this week after 4 of the horses were withdrawn from nominations. 

This would be the first time in over a year (or more) that any junior race received more nominations than there were drivers, at least this way this gives the kids starting out their careers the opportunity to have a drive, rather than them missing out & if a trainer really wants they can fly up someone from down south, Johnny Morrison had a drive a few weeks ago and i'm sure others are open to travel. 

Agree that more needs to be done to get kids involved, but in an industry with limited opportunities, long hours & average earning opportunities, it is always going to be a struggle.

Also there has been numerous talk that the horsemen's association was trying to pass a rule that if the junior race was to not get off the ground that horses nominated for the race would still get a penalty free win if they were driven by a junior in a 'normal' race- I believe it was passed but couldn't confirm for sure. So the same thing should of really happened with the horses that were forced to change fields they still should of got in to those fields with a junior on under penalty free conditions. Maybe something that should be discussed with clubs more thoroughly?

ms Castleton - I'm afraid under today's priorities if it don't spell dollars to the clubs then they don't want to know about it.     It not too long ago when the catchphrase was "Don't worry the owners will pay for it" however that cash cow has been virtually milked dry so all they have left to offer the Industry is closed eyes and blocked ears.     

12 at the moment Tim, but you and I have been around long enough to know that injuries, holidays, stipes/jca, moves to Aussie etc. can make the situation very shaky.     Perhaps some owners and trainers shun allowing juniors to drive their horses but how the hell can they get the experience necessary for them to rise to the top or even just be competent.    Without mentioning names we can all see the progress made by some of the young drivers simply by regular opportunities and also the handling of nice stock either in training or racing.      Sad to see that many of our administrators loose sight of this.