RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man 11

Melody Belle / J. Richards

Another superb performance by the outstanding mare, won with a lot in hand.

8 x  group ones ,even in NZ is incredible really.

Well ridden as one would expect from an ideal barrier.

And she only cost $57,500. Quite the bargain.

Her trainer J. Richards is certainly doing the job ,both North and South stables and just nutted in Group 2 in Sydney as well.

Simply outstanding effort all round.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Do you think they are “protecting” her by keeping her in NZ to race?

Not necessarily. Easy pickings here, why not take them. Plus it's good for the local industry to have a star racing here.

They are aiming to take her to Oz later this campaign so will get a chance to prove herself then.

Well done Melody Belle, clearly the best horse going around here in NZ.

You have to wonder about the form though when a 96 rater and a 94 can run 2nd and 3rd. The 2nd horse has generally failed when tried against the best here in NZ, though is having a great run at the moment.

IMHO this was the weakest field I have seen in this race over the years. 

49 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Didn’t they announce that they were looking at The Cox Plate ?

Besides Ernie, she did win a decent G2 race in Queensland as a late 2yo didn’t she ?

She’s not a bad mare champ, and seems effective at 2000, I’d have thought the Matriach or The Emirates would be realistic targets for her if she’s not fried after Hawkes Bay 

Agreed , and though she had 3 x also rans in Aussie. she beat Pierata by 6 lengths.Hes not a bad sprinter.

No doubt she will visit again ,there are plenty good races about.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Didn’t they announce that they were looking at The Cox Plate ?

Besides Ernie, she did win a decent G2 race in Queensland as a late 2yo didn’t she ?

She’s not a bad mare champ, and seems effective at 2000, I’d have thought the Matriach or The Emirates would be realistic targets for her if she’s not fried after Hawkes Bay 

Interesting. I was just wondering about the strategy. If she’s that good, the money on offer in OZ is unbelievable. If Baker/Foresman we’re training it, would she be handled differently? What’s the point of winning “NZ G1’s” (if you can call them that), when lesser performed horses have done so well crossing the ditch? Her 2yo win in Qld was ok but why not go for a G1 in Oz? There will always be that question mark of why they kept her in cotton wool in NZ. Look at the Makybe Diva G1 two weeks ago. A horse called Gatting won, beating a top field which incl Mystic Journey etc. it came over from WA where it was a reasonable performer, winning the 2017 Derby and this year the Lee Steere and a 2nd place in the Railway. They could have stayed in Perth and performed nicely in their WA Group races but brought the horse across the Nullabor and cleaned up a top WFA field. Keeping MB in NZ and running around in minor G1’s is ok but what’s next? An Otaki “G1” against more rating 78ers? If she’s that good, give her to Baker and he’ll place her in the right Oz G1 for sure. JMHO. I just think it’s a shame to have such a great mare - but she’s not that great without an Oz G1 Win. Imagine how many NZ “G1” races Sunline would have won if she’d raced most of her career in NZ....get my drift? More than MB I’m sure.  but MB will not enjoy the greatness and accolades that Sunline now rightly enjoys from stamping her class in Oz and further north.

2 hours ago, Trump said:

Interesting. I was just wondering about the strategy. If she’s that good, the money on offer in OZ is unbelievable. If Baker/Foresman we’re training it, would she be handled differently? What’s the point of winning “NZ G1’s” (if you can call them that), when lesser performed horses have done so well crossing the ditch? Her 2yo win in Qld was ok but why not go for a G1 in Oz? There will always be that question mark of why they kept her in cotton wool in NZ. Look at the Makybe Diva G1 two weeks ago. A horse called Gatting won, beating a top field which incl Mystic Journey etc. it came over from WA where it was a reasonable performer, winning the 2017 Derby and this year the Lee Steere and a 2nd place in the Railway. They could have stayed in Perth and performed nicely in their WA Group races but brought the horse across the Nullabor and cleaned up a top WFA field. Keeping MB in NZ and running around in minor G1’s is ok but what’s next? An Otaki “G1” against more rating 78ers? If she’s that good, give her to Baker and he’ll place her in the right Oz G1 for sure. JMHO. I just think it’s a shame to have such a great mare - but she’s not that great without an Oz G1 Win. Imagine how many NZ “G1” races Sunline would have won if she’d raced most of her career in NZ....get my drift? More than MB I’m sure.  but MB will not enjoy the greatness and accolades that Sunline now rightly enjoys from stamping her class in Oz and further north.

Tend to agree..baffled that they arent bypassing the 'Triple Crown' of NZ 'glory' when there is megabucks on offer in Oz. Perhaps its a 'syndicate' thing, so all the many owners get to see her race more often. Personally, I think MB has grown a leg in the last 12 months and is a far better prospect for Oz Grp 1s now than when she was younger.

21 minutes ago, weasel57 said:

Tend to agree..baffled that they arent bypassing the 'Triple Crown' of NZ 'glory' when there is megabucks on offer in Oz. Perhaps its a 'syndicate' thing, so all the many owners get to see her race more often. Personally, I think MB has grown a leg in the last 12 months and is a far better prospect for Oz Grp 1s now than when she was younger.

Yes, perhaps “The Syndicate thing” is a possible reason? I would have thought that many Synd members would love to travel to Oz to see her measure up to “stiffer” competition. Shes a bit like Sir Slick. Great against inferior opposition in NZ. She may even be a good prospect in a Race like the G1 Tatts Tiara over 1400m? But this years gone so it looks like Melbourne. But the Cox Plate? Madness imho. I would have thought that the G1 Myer Classic Over 1600m for F&M on Derby Day Nov 2 would be a great race for her to notch a G1 Oz Win - if she’s up to it. 

19 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Consensus is no champion but she has three Ozzie group performances on her pedigree page ....a G2 win at the Valley, a G1 4th in The Ranvet and a G2 in The Hollindale.

Don't get too excited about how much better yours are Ernie, they ain’t that fucking good at the second level champ 

I’m not getting excited mate! I’m just asking the question re MB and the strategy adopted. She’s A Champion NZ Horse of The Year but she’s been kept in the softer environment of NZ G1’s. I’d love to see her aimed at a race like the Myer Classic for F&M. That is just MHO. She’s obviously very good but having a go for the Owners at a G1 Oz Win and failing  is probably not going to affect her Broodmare Sale price, neither is a win. Shes got the score on the Board in NZ and has the breeding. Well placed some would say and certainly, expertly trained. I like the way B and J Lindsay are aiming their horse Probabeel in Oz. I think he’s going to win a good one and good luck to them for having a go. They deserve a good G1 win with it. Actually, there’s a nice multi coming up. Probabeel/Te Akau Shark and The Chosen One. I’ll be having a wee bit on that multi Fixed odds All In ! 

Don't you guys frank form? Where in the pecking order in Australia do you think Bostonian, Wyndspelle, Danzdanzdance and Sultan of Swing are as they were beaten into 2nd place by Melody Belle in group one races here in NZ? Bostonian won 2 group ones in Brisbane before missing out on the Stradbroke. Wyndspelle was listed stakes placed and ,managed to run 3rd in the Group 1 Cantala Stakes (btn 3 len), in Melbourne last spring. Danzdanzdance ran 3rd in the Ranvet (btn 3 by Avilius) and Sultan of Swing ran 4th in a listed stakes at Rosehill..

Based on that form, she's no Sunline but she's got her place.....no champion as she is over here but gets a nice race worth double the money than over here.

1 hour ago, TurnyTom said:

Best since Sunline, not better than

I'm guessing you mean best (NZ) trained mare since Sunline? (DUNDEEL & OCEAN PARK & SACRED FALLS colts etc... ) Even so... its a big call and I hope you're right. She would need to be competitive in GR.1's in Australia for this to happen... wouldn't she?

Seachange ? Silent Achiever? Bonneval ?.... as good or better than Melody Belle? :unsure:

1 minute ago, TurnyTom said:

She has to go over Baz and test herself - I think she is extra

As long as she's not over top after the Livamol ? She shouldn't be?... as it'll only be her 4th run.  Ocean Park had 3 runs before winning his Cox Plate.
She has to have a crack at something for sure!. Maybe a little freshen up for a 1600m F & M GR.1...  if the Cox Plate is too rich?

11 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Hilarious....better than Turn Me Loose....he won an Orr, an Emirates, a Crystal Mile.....Dundeel......spare me, 0800Specsavers for you Sir

I didn’t want to say anything re “best since Sunline”. Nothing to be said other than, I think Turny was “having a moment”. What about Mufasa? Mmmm..