RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

John Allen

Chief Executive of Racing Industry Transition Agency to step down

Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) Chief Executive John Allen is stepping down from his role at the end of the year.

Mr Allen says the New Zealand Racing Board and now RITA, have invested in critical improvements in betting technology and broadcasting over the last five years and increased customer numbers.

“The major programmes of investment are largely completed, creating a strong foundation to grow products for Kiwi punters and profit for the racing industry. 

“After five years as Chief Executive it is time to begin the search for a new leader to oversee the transition to TAB NZ.

“This was a difficult decision, but with the racing reforms underway, it’s timely for someone else to lead the TAB and deliver the revenue growth to support a sustainable racing industry.” 

RITA Chair Dean McKenzie acknowledged Mr Allen’s leadership since becoming CEO in 2015 during which time there has been important investment in the TAB.

“The innovations overseen by Mr Allen have provided the TAB with a solid foundation for growth to support racing and sport in New Zealand, and the Board is optimistic the investments will deliver the returns the industry needs in coming years.

“We now need to focus on lifting profits, increasing distributions to racing and improving the betting experience for Kiwi punters. Achieving the outcomes set out in the current reform of racing will play an important part of securing a positive future for racing.”

Mr Allen paid tribute to the team at RITA for its support and effort to deliver innovations that he says will have long and lasting benefits for racing.

“It has been a great privilege to hold this position and lead an incredible bunch of people.

“I also want to acknowledge the huge number of people from across the industry, in the codes, club volunteers, the owners and trainers for their support. There is significant opportunity ahead for the industry and I am genuinely confident of the future.”

Mr Allen will stay on until Christmas to support RITA through the next phase of industry reform and to oversee a transition to a new CEO.

I can't say I will be losing any sleep over that resignation. He's overseen the most disruptive and generally inept time of management (and I use the word "management" very loosely here you understand) in NZ's long racing history and all he does is repeat the same old platitudes about how well things are going when anyone in the industry knows that's just corporate jargon and  PR spin of the highest order.   The website is just a symptom of the greater disease now infecting racing.  With today's resignation it just puts me in mind of that  Italian cruise liner captain who ran the ship aground and then was one of the first in the life boats. 

Restructuring the RB is a done deal but basically a zero rated result , the RB had about 6/7 on the board , RITA has , I think 7 so in terms of savings not a hell of a lot .

Only time will tell what happens about the 700 staff remaining but Allen thinks they are likely here to stay  and we know  HE IS HERE TO STAY  , that will surprise many

Triple Alliance I hope you pick your racehorses better than your CEO working term forecasts, you have to admit that was a very poor and ill informed statement to so 'boldly' predict. 

36 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Triple Alliance I hope you pick your racehorses better than your CEO working term forecasts, you have to admit that was a very poor and ill informed statement to so 'boldly' predict. 

Is there 700 still employed :o

that number needs to be only 150 to 200

Agree that the current situation isn't his fault, the patch unfortunately got rougher and he didn't have the Industry knowledge to find the better going. Sadly also when you lack the knowledge and then get guided by management who also lack experience and knowledge your never going to get back on track. When your on the big bucks and you don't deliver the promises made to an Industry so reliant on positive results you have to put your hand up which he has done so full marks there.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

John Allen has resigned this morning. Payout figure will be interesting. Real worry is will his replacement have any racing/ gaming experience?

The real worry is that he is staying on for another three months (at about $50k a month) and will be overseeing the appointment of his replacement.

9 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

Agree that the current situation isn't his fault, the patch unfortunately got rougher and he didn't have the Industry knowledge to find the better going. Sadly also when you lack the knowledge and then get guided by management who also lack experience and knowledge your never going to get back on track. When your on the big bucks and you don't deliver the promises made to an Industry so reliant on positive results you have to put your hand up which he has done so full marks there.

disagree entirely, LO. He is the man responsible for among other things the outrageously expensive FOB platform that isn't doing what he promised it would (incr revenue for stakesmoney), and the failure to create a more efficient management/ops team. Should not have had his contract renewed and should have resigned on 1July latest. IMO.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

I’d be worried, and mainly because if JA thought there was genuine hope he’d be inclined to ride this rough patch out.....but there is no hope, and it’s certainly not his fault.

In the interests of his own reputation he’s taking the only sensible option.

Sadly I really  think you've hit the nail squarely on head . Now people know stakes not going up the sales could be a bath for vendors too especially lower end , even some syndicators might start to feel like they are pushing shit uphill.

2 hours ago, hedley said:

Is there 700 still employed :o

that number needs to be only 150 to 200

One day you might get your wish but that will be when the industry has shrunk by a good 60/70% .

We all know racing has been struggling for many years , a change of ceo will change nothing . When co mingling  , internationalisation was introduced that was the time when it was official , NZ cannot sustain a racing industry in it's current form , nothings changed today .

If the current strategy's fail (messara) then only a hard nosed business approach will save anything . Face it most involved in racing are all to old , what good is any 5/10 year plan for most of us .

I've been to 4 funerals in the last 3 weeks , ages 63 68 (not racing related) . A successful racing future will be 5/6 tracks , only approved trainers and first class patrons facility's , perhaps the young will return , without them racing will disappear .

Currently the majority of trainers are elderly (50plus) and have no interest in change , they complain but are happy to ride it to the bottom .

4 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I’d be worried, and mainly because if JA thought there was genuine hope he’d be inclined to ride this rough patch out.....but there is no hope, and it’s certainly not his fault.

In the interests of his own reputation he’s taking the only sensible option.

have to disagree here P4P......read his statements in the last 3 years of annual reports....full of bulls**t and wet dreams.....I don't know but would hope it has been suggested to him, probably at a cost to the industry, that he move on.....and I would think there is very little of his reputation left

Perfect timing for a self-satisfied public servant on the gravy train. Three months notice to keep up appearances of working, schmooze through the spring and silly seasons, plenty of time to secure a new gig in 2020. $12k+  a week and no accountability for anything. Luvly jubly. Probably turn up next year running Problem Gaming Foundation or Plunket.

31 minutes ago, drewandjo said:

have to disagree here P4P......read his statements in the last 3 years of annual reports....full of bulls**t and wet dreams.....I don't know but would hope it has been suggested to him, probably at a cost to the industry, that he move on.....and I would think there is very little of his reputation left

He'll more than likely reappear somewhere receiving a huge salary as another CEO of a failing company or on the board of a failing company. :rolleyes:
Has the perfect track record to run Fonterra! :wacko:

John Allen was on a hiding to nothing from the moment he took on this job....put the boot into him ,he was paid a huge salary and had worked in other ailing industries.

He did his best.

He was approachable and willingly  gave you an ear if one took the time to approach him.

He didn't stand a chance with the NZ Racing Board.

Sure ,he should have kept tabs on costs and staff numbers.

Hindsight is an exact science.

He's gone now , give him heaps.

But NZ racing and the TAB is still a sick puppy ...in a small and competitive market.