RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Charlie Bukowski

One of the Best Weigh Ins Ever !

Of everything that was stated yesterday I can't see where there has been any improvement or even looks like being , apart from perhaps the animal welfare.

Everyone is saying the hard decisions need to be made ,well that's just corporate BS, the fact is the hard decisions that need to be made are ones that will impact upon the 7 main race clubs he is talking about having a meeting with , messing about with country racing from NZTR perspective isn't going to achieve a lot imo.

It looks like moving deck chairs for the sake of it and as you say been here 2 years hot to look like there is some progress. Any thoughts?

Have to agree with PFP on this one. But why is it that Australian racing has not been left behind by society? In so many ways our contries are so similar.

I am not talking about population size and finance I am talking about the general population having an interest in racing, young people going to the TAB & races and the whole sport in general being seen in such a positive light.

33 minutes ago, Davey1 said:

Have to agree with PFP on this one. But why is it that Australian racing has not been left behind by society? In so many ways our contries are so similar.

I am not talking about population size and finance I am talking about the general population having an interest in racing, young people going to the TAB & races and the whole sport in general being seen in such a positive light.

Messara pointed out the same thing..it's a numbers game.

Wagering per capita in NZ is $92, in Australia it is $225 per annum.

31 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Messara pointed out the same thing..it's a numbers game.

Wagering per capita in NZ is $92, in Australia it is $225 per annum.

Messara may well be right Ohokaman but according to the NZRB:

225.The NZRB undertook some analysis and have an updated estimated turnover of $1,200 million per annum, estimating revenue in the first year at $24 million (also based on a two percent charge). 18

And that's only the betting by NZ residents with overseas operators hence an estimate of $24m from a PoC tax, something that Messara recommended. 1.2 billion divided by a 5 million population is $240 per capita. That's plus what they spend betting in NZ. Talk about pie in the sky. The Treasury did note in their analysis that " The Department has not been privy to the underlying data which the NZRB has used, so it is unable to provide any commentary regarding the quality of the data and the subsequent results."

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

All my sources say the worst is yet to come.

Sadly I think they’re correct, we’re simply living beyond our means and it has to stop.

There is no obvious viable manner or strategy to increase revenue or profitability, and I’m not even sure it’s any one individual’s or entities fault....we’ve just been left behind by society and the industry is not sustainable in its current form.

I'm sure that will be the case and I agree that no single person can be blamed but Saundry after 2 years seems to have joined the chair of the board (in fact most if not all of the board) as MIA. Maybe if he had played and missed he could at least be given credit for trying.

You need to snapshot income, predict future income.  Snapshot expenses, predict future expenses (as against investments e. g. training centres). The only viable way I can see is to ask the government for a gaming tax holiday to rebuild infrastructure, increase stake money, organise carnival type events for All regions. There are lots of factors but the major factor is people. Personally I think they need to analyse the data on horse numbers, where they are, future stock numbers, number of people involved. The money can only come from certain income streams, wagering, tax, industry levys and a competent evaluation of costs. What about selling Ellerslie and investing in a North, Central and South island training centres. Just thinking. On the hard figures racing could be dead in 5 years. Please come up with a plan and a time line to action. I thought that was the purpose to the "Messiah report" If you think the government is going to close or "nationalise"  any courses before the next election, I beg to differ. I love NZ racing, but unfortunately I'm at a age when I think it could die with my generation.

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, 50 win no. 1 said:

You need to snapshot income, predict future income.  Snapshot expenses, predict future expenses (as against investments e. g. training centres). The only viable way I can see is to ask the government for a gaming tax holiday to rebuild infrastructure, increase stake money, organise carnival type events for All regions. There are lots of factors but the major factor is people. Personally I think they need to analyse the data on horse numbers, where they are, future stock numbers, number of people involved. The money can only come from certain income streams, wagering, tax, industry levys and a competent evaluation of costs. What about selling Ellerslie and investing in a North, Central and South island training centres. Just thinking. On the hard figures racing could be dead in 5 years. Please come up with a plan and a time line to action. I thought that was the purpose to the "Messiah report" If you think the government is going to close or "nationalise"  any courses before the next election, I beg to differ. I love NZ racing, but unfortunately I'm at a age when I think it could die with my generation.

Thanks 

Except they've just got a permanent holiday on  gaming duty from the government 50/1 to be phased in over the next 3 years. Currently worth $13m a year. I agree with much of the rest of what you say though there is no sign of any of that happening other than the outcome that you fear.

8 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Bernard has sadly inherited a lemon, he has a hard ride to hoe!

Everyone must remember its hard to get things moving without revenue and if the revenue cant increase there will be no progress. At least they have got the wheels in motion in that department but there is a lot of leakage through out the likes of the TAB that could have been put back into racing and like he said their goal is to increase stakes and then revenue to clubs for running racedays. I put out there that there is a cost for trackside to cover a days racing for instance  a industry day is around 12 to 13 grand which is a  cost to the club so who is actually suppling the product for the TAB to profit from but is paying in a lot of areas for having it.

3 hours ago, 50 win no. 1 said:

Yes, I'm really just a punter so I hope they can ensure the future health of the industry. You're absolutely right Leggy, they need to make some decisions and get moving. My fear is that they sit there in paralysis.... 

Its  not that hard to see what has happened over the ditch thanks to messara and co YEARS AGO ,its not that hard to have guessed what was going to be in any report written by messara over a year ago.We have all been witnesses to the aussie success which makes the failure at the top of nz racing all the more obvious.Why is it that the monkey see monkey do business plan wasnt taught to the monkeys in charge of nz racing?its not paralysis its blinkus of the thinkus.

2 hours ago, Crow said:

Everyone must remember its hard to get things moving without revenue and if the revenue cant increase there will be no progress. At least they have got the wheels in motion in that department but there is a lot of leakage through out the likes of the TAB that could have been put back into racing and like he said their goal is to increase stakes and then revenue to clubs for running racedays. I put out there that there is a cost for trackside to cover a days racing for instance  a industry day is around 12 to 13 grand which is a  cost to the club so who is actually suppling the product for the TAB to profit from but is paying in a lot of areas for having it.

Sorry Crow, I’m sure you mean well but it’s not a revenue issue to start with. When a business is leaking, the first area you look at is the COST v REVENUE. Clearly, the COSTS have blown out way beyond REVENUE growth. So, I’m surprised that the Board of NZ Racing hasn’t taken a chainsaw to costs. What’s Mr Saundrey  achieved during his tenure? 

7 hours ago, Trump said:

Sorry Crow, I’m sure you mean well but it’s not a revenue issue to start with. When a business is leaking, the first area you look at is the COST v REVENUE. Clearly, the COSTS have blown out way beyond REVENUE growth. So, I’m surprised that the Board of NZ Racing hasn’t taken a chainsaw to costs. What’s Mr Saundrey  achieved during his tenure? 

Would you maintain a $151m distribution to your stakeholders (the codes) if your earnings were $124m ($37m below budget) Trump?

18 hours ago, Davey1 said:

I reckon it gets back to the Convicts (Oz) and the Puritans (NZ). The convicts always loved their gambling and dont see anything wrong with it, whereas the Scottish/English 'founders' of NZ contemporary society looked askance at gambling as an evil that had to be firmly controlled (eg no bookies on NZ racecourses)

On 9/16/2019 at 9:48 PM, Trump said:

Well Donald, Saundrey was talking about growing revenue for the betterment of racing,  in which the text was for, which is totally different to what you are trumpeting about which is costs blowing within the Old Racing Board. What has Saundrey achieved well I think he has got things talked about, not sitting on his backside keeping the seat warm by putting ideas out there for discussion, which is better than blaming everyone else for their mistakes as Donald Trump does. Nothing will move forward without asking the hard questions. There has been plenty within the industry that had to improve in the general day to management and users safety needs that has been implemented and if you have ever spent anytime with the man you would know he will look at all avenues for the betterment of racing, Donald.

23 minutes ago, Trump said:

Mmmmm. Nobody can deny or ignore that the Costs of NZ Racing is far too high. What’s been done about it? Nothing.

Not quite true. Minister has asked for a Performance and Efficiency Audit of NZRB operating costs.

When that is due is one of the questions I've asked Dean McKenzie.