RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

How to get Young People to the race track

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

Brilliant, clearly they are on to it. Simple, basic but more or less guaranteed to be successful (there).

Pretty sure the do-gooders have brought in rules in NZ relating to the cheap promotion of beer, so it can't be done (more so than a stock standard "happy hour"). The sale and supply of alcohol act buggered it up for all. Apparently. 

So all the piss heads looking for cheap booze and food turn up.....but how much do they actually bet....?? :rolleyes:

Have to wonder whether getting young people on course is a worthy goal. Who decided that? And how will that improve revenue or the well being of the industry? Accidentally observed an owner trainer association meeting this week. One woman and no-one under 50 for sure. Most not under 65. A bunch of passionate and dedicated grey haired gentlemen with the interests of the industry at heart. From what I overheard, having a grumble about the TAB etc. I suspect little influence and even less useful ideas. I was invited to join them but those days are over and I politely declined and reverted to my steak sammie and porter. It's all too little too late for mine.

14 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

This is every Sunday at Golden Gate Fields. It was a super fun day out with plenty of young people there. Can we get a brewery on board and do it once a month at Ellerslie 

Good idea,but here in NZ , Liquor Licensing would not allow it, as they will argue that it is encouraging intoxication. Police would also oppose the promotion 

7 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

So all the piss heads looking for cheap booze and food turn up.....but how much do they actually bet....?? :rolleyes:

They'll bet more than the people who are not there. 

We need people getting on track and experiencing racing even it the racing is only a side line for now. Who knows one of them might have a big win on there easy bet trifecta and be hooked for life becoming a regular punter and then an owner. 

5 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

We need people getting on track and experiencing racing even it the racing is only a side line for now. Who knows one of them might have a big win on there easy bet trifecta and be hooked for life becoming a regular punter and then an owner. 

Aaron a perfect example of why people stop going to the races is your local track.They charge $20 to get in the one of the most expensive in the country and still have the same infrastructure as 1960 .Toilets shocking  TV's terrible ,the same food trucks , TAB stations less and less  every year ,queueing takes forever to get a bet on.Band singing right thru every race. The feilds are average to say the least.I know its a great spot but with less people there every year they can't keep living off what was a great day without changing . Cheers BH

22 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Aaron a perfect example of why people stop going to the races is your local track.They charge $20 to get in the one of the most expensive in the country and still have the same infrastructure as 1960 .Toilets shocking  TV's terrible ,the same food trucks , TAB stations less and less  every year ,queueing takes forever to get a bet on.Band singing right thru every race. The feilds are average to say the least.I know its a great spot but with less people there every year they can't keep living off what was a great day without changing . Cheers BH

Yep, all correct apart from it isn't my local track anymore. I'm back at Opaki, the training tracks there are amazing, especially the plough they  put in last summer. 

The toilets :rcfe-happy-3:

After a big Xmas day ,way to much food and far to much drink we ended up as usual at Ellerslie the next day. Wasn’t feeling 100% ,which after half the card ended in a visit to the expansive men’s toilets underneath the main public stand.... I found a stall around the corner ( if you know this place the urinals are 30 m long :rcf-thinking:) in the middle of 15 stalls....it was a gas fest :rcf-sad-2: but felt so much better:rcfe-like:... opened the door and there’s Four of the hottest Young ladies I’d seen all day waiting outside my Stall :rcf-laughing-2: the one at the front holding her nose saying Disgusting:rcf-poo: .... :rcf-embarrassed-3: biggest issue they have on the big days is lack of women’s toilets , if you’ve been there you know the line out the door .... bloody funny :rcfe-happy-3:and no toilet brush:rcf-monkey-1:

Gruff  went to a weeding in Auckland late last year flash reception and horrible CRAFT beer  .On our way home said to people back at our hotel bar  I said gee that was flash the mens toilets didn't even have a urinal, everyone just shook there head  WHAT!! I think the craft beer might have had an effect on my eyesight.  cheers BH

1 hour ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Yep, all correct apart from it isn't my local track anymore. I'm back at Opaki, the training tracks there are amazing, especially the plough they  put in last summer. 

That Opaki track used to be one of the best in the country in the 60's. What a waste that was....

How do you get young people to the racetrack ? 

Ok , for a start how about looking after those that are at the race track?  Every single person at the coal face represents the industry, when you walk into a shop how do you want to be treated?  I have no doubt most involved in NZ racing are good sorts, and passionate hard workers,but if you are standoffish how are you selling your industry?  Engage with people, they may be critics but who isn’t in this life?  Unfortunately the people employed at the outlets are part of the big picture, being competent definitely helps, but being a good person is more important, I will tolerate someone who maybe hard of hearing and slow , at the risk of getting the bet on if they are friendly. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

The Nursery in Auckland was Boxing Day Ellerslie, the infield bar b que beers out of the trunk family atmosphere .... it was like Goat Island . Then they fenced everything off , charged like wounded bulls (and sold Corona in Cans  :rcf-poo:)and now we are going down the shithouse. To many dumbos involved looking after their own interests in a team game. Thank Christ for Australian Racing 

56 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

That Opaki track used to be one of the best in the country in the 60's. What a waste that was....

Good track, but terrible facilities otherwise. Although now most other tracks have come back to their level. Interesting example actually of how closing one track hasn't automatically helped those around it. One could hardly say Tauherenikau and Woodville have become highly modern, state of the art tracks since Opaki closed down. I can recall backing Bond Street and Our Boyfriend  when they won at Opaki many years ago, bloody cold days out usually.

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

Craft beer is way overrated Boss, keep it simple it’s all just a gimmick :rcfe-like:  Rum for mine:rcf-in-love:

Dead right regarding  some craft beer Gruff.I put it down to what I call the city brewers,who think they can throw some money at a brewery and think it's the best.

I must say that my head brewing brother inlaw in a small Bristol brewery does some pretty good stuff!

8 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

I went to the AB v Tonga game last Sat, cost shitloads to get in and $9 beers, food expensive and poor quality. For a couple attending with 2 kids there wouldn’t be any change out of $400 for most. Compare that to $40 entry to the races, a full days entertainment and a chance to leave with more in your pocket than you arrived with, it all comes down to how it’s marketed.

11 hours ago, Gruff said:

Craft beer is way overrated Boss, keep it simple it’s all just a gimmick :rcfe-like:  Rum for mine:rcf-in-love:

Speights is mine should stick to working class weddings

12 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Gruff  went to a wedding in Auckland late last year flash reception and horrible CRAFT beer  .On our way home said to people back at our hotel bar  I said gee that was flash the mens toilets didn't even have a urinal, everyone just shook there head  WHAT!! I think the craft beer might have had an effect on my eyesight.  cheers BH

The worst thing that Auckland done was pull down the old public stand ,well they couldnt pull it down so they burnt it down .I know its time was up but the way they treated us was crap .Us peasants were given small part of members stand or outside in a roped off area in the rain ,we left in droves and when the new monstrosity off a stand was finished we were gone .Cheers BH

57 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

The worst thing that Auckland done was pull down the old public stand ,well they couldnt pull it down so they burnt it down .I know its time was up but the way they treated us was crap .Us peasants were given small part of members stand or outside in a roped off area in the rain ,we left in droves and when the new monstrosity off a stand was finished we were gone .Cheers BH

That monstrosity of a Stand (as you described it), called the Ellerslie Event Centre, was making the Club $millions every year and that’s what got it out of the swamp, have a positive balance sheet and become the only “thriving” Club - financially! 

13 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Yes Tauherenikau does charge $20 and last New Years meeting attracted 12,000. I doubt whether Auckland had a crowd that big across their last Christmas/ New Years meeting.  The crowds  used to be 15,000 plus at the New Years meeting so yes they are down. You are right re the band and I lodged a suggestion that they not allow this as well as suggesting that they review the caterers because its still 1970s.

They are ugrading facilities, the upstairs of the bird cage stand has recently been restored as has the accomodation and the pavilion where they hold weddings. There are plans to further upgrade facilities but these have been stalled currently  due to resource management consents.

The fields are poor due to 3 meetings being held in the CD over 4 days which is stupid and NZTR needs to address this. At the next New Years meeting I plan to be there at about 7am and by this time there will already be hundreds of race goers  on course getting their spot preparing breakfast and meeting old friends that they meet up with every year..

Yep Bloke will be there again but at about 10 ,dont get me wrong we have a great day but it really does bring you to brakeing point with the singing and trying to get a bet on .Im lucky do it all on the phone but most of my partners in crime like to bet at the tote .Yes they are doing up the members stand but who's bright idea was it not to put opening windows up there.Man it gets hot .It would be good if they lowered the gate fee to $10 in line with the rest of The Chrismas at the races promotion ,they would get the other $10 at the tote .Thanks for the info, Cheers BH

7 hours ago, bloke said:

Yes Tauherenikau does charge $20 and last New Years meeting attracted 12,000. I doubt whether Auckland had a crowd that big across their last Christmas/ New Years meeting.  The crowds  used to be 15,000 plus at the New Years meeting so yes they are down. You are right re the band and I lodged a suggestion that they not allow this as well as suggesting that they review the caterers because its still 1970s.

They are ugrading facilities, the upstairs of the bird cage stand has recently been restored as has the accomodation and the pavilion where they hold weddings. There are plans to further upgrade facilities but these have been stalled currently  due to resource management consents.

The fields are poor due to 3 meetings being held in the CD over 4 days which is stupid and NZTR needs to address this. At the next New Years meeting I plan to be there at about 7am and by this time there will already be hundreds of race goers  on course getting their spot preparing breakfast and meeting old friends that they meet up with every year..

12,000.......is that TRUE. Or a wild guess ?