RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Telegraph

9 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Big break with tradition changing it to WFA. It will be interesting to see if it can still attract a capacity field and remain a big betting race. There might be scope for another club to develop a decent 1,200m handicap.

History has no place in NZ Racing.

3 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Incoming from very high up the food chain, impeccable source so there you go

Hi Leo. WRC forced into running Telegraph at WFA to retain Group 1 status.  Only way to get the rating you need. 

Same thing happened to the White Robe Lodge at Wingatui.  I suppose the next thing will be a WFA Auckland Cup.

15 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

You can always rely on the Wellington RC to get it wrong, every single thing they do is usually a complete fuck up.....along with the Trainers Association they’re the bastard children of NZTR ...

To understand their ( lack of ) thinking you need to either be really stupid, or think like a five year old..and on that basis the only possible stupid explanation for this change to WFA is that they’re trying to attract some second rate old cheats out of Australia, cheats looking for an easy G1 to add to their CV, something like Osborne Bulls 

It won’t work, it’ll be back to a handicap in a couple of years 

I imagined it was a reaction to the fact the South Island keeps winning it, and filling 3 of the first 4 places this year. I would have thought the fact that a couple of handy types in Bostonian and Melody Belle finished down the track this year should have helped its status.

Tradition for its own sake is rather pointless. There has been no Gr. 1, w.f.a. race over 1,200 metres in N.Z. for ever? Many years ago,  2 y.o. and 3 y.o. horses would compete in w.f.a. races, such as the N.I. Challenge Stakes.

Also consider that 'the home of stayers' doesn't have a race over 2,400 metres, at w.f.a., similar to Le Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, as in other countries. Is w.f.a. racing fair or does our obsession with handicap races promote mediocrity?