RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
One more lap

Times are tough

10 hours ago, tim vince said:

I see fonterra shedding fat in tough times.

The tea lady reports unofficially that cost cutting is underway at a racing jurisdiction near you Tim. She wont tell me anymore at this stage but i hope this gives you some encouragement going forward.

Greg

6 hours ago, MICHAEL HOUSE said:

I wasn’t acting .... I’m ready to go !!! on any subject anytime .....I’ll make it my mission to get  the internet warriors wound up 

Micheal. yourself, Westview and many others on here are avid supporters of this sport/industry and to see what is going on is very sad, declining stakes and nobody on course is a poor reflection of the overpaid top brass not achieving anything. I  am a third generation Harness owner/breeder in my family and enough with lowered stakes is enough. the income goes, yet the costs go up. the trainers, feed suppliers, blacksmith, vet etc do not give a 20% discount because the stakes are 20% less. Maybe time to get rid of these overpaid races and spread the returns more evenly across the horse and owner population. NZ Cup  $400.000. 2 @ 3 year olds, max stake $100.000. Look at the top earners per season. most are very young horses and not that many are good earners, at five if they are still racing which far to many are not. Look at all the good horses retired at an early age, the future is not bright, Crowds used to go and see Monkey King and others race, now they do not unless to get legless on cup day. We need new direction and fast or we are just a breeding barn for Aussie and our horse punch above their weight over there,

1 hour ago, One more lap said:

NZ Cup  $400.000. 2 @ 3 year olds, max stake $100.000.

And you know what? 

The NZ Cup field would be no different at all, if the stake was $400k or $800k. The same horses would line up regardless. The Aussies would likely still come, as it is on many trainers/owners bucket list these days. 

So what's the point in having such a big stake, and how can the "opportunity cost" be worth it? The coin saved by capping the cup at x amount, could be better utilized at the grassroots end. 

10 hours ago, Rusty said:

And you know what? 

The NZ Cup field would be no different at all, if the stake was $400k or $800k. The same horses would line up regardless. The Aussies would likely still come, as it is on many trainers/owners bucket list these days. 

So what's the point in having such a big stake, and how can the "opportunity cost" be worth it? The coin saved by capping the cup at x amount, could be better utilized at the grassroots end. 

So based on you and One More Laps reasoning the Harness jewels would be gone by lunch time so to speak. Its the biggest waste of money in the harness calender year. Was told it lies in the mid 40's for TAB revenue generated on a harness race day last season. When you put it that way it says it all , 40 other race days benefit the industry overall.

Cup day in Christchurch was first BTW

Greg

5 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

So based on you and One More Laps reasoning the Harness jewels would be gone by lunch time so to speak. Its the biggest waste of money in the harness calender year. Was told it lies in the mid 40's for TAB revenue generated on a harness race day last season. When you put it that way it says it all , 40 other race days benefit the industry overall.

Cup day in Christchurch was first BTW

Greg

I never said anything about hitting the Jewels on the head. It is a good concept. 

Although if I called the shots I would probably scrap 2 year olds racing at the event. 

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

I never said anything about hitting the Jewels on the head. It is a good concept. 

Although if I called the shots I would probably scrap 2 year olds racing at the event. 

Apologies Rusty my response was to the  other quoted party. Moral of story was that Jewels day stakes could be better employed elsewhere judging by the punting revenue they earn for Harness racing IMHO

Greg