RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
One more lap

Times are tough

News flash, 2 yrs ago methven lost 90,000 although that did include pulling down stand, last year 9,000 profit which was subsidized by 40,000 from farm profit. There are some exciting plans in the pipeline at methven and we did discuss putting extra money into the maiden's but unfortunately at this stage that won't happen . Racing in general is in a bad way, no news flash there, turnovers aren't good.With bulk funding there is little incentive to increase your turnover as a club which I am vehemently opposed to.One bit of good news Methven will once again run our punters competition at our meeting in October. I know some people will say why not put that money into stakes, simple the event is sponsored again by our longterm sponsor the Brown Pub and they wanted to keep the tradition going.    Make a difference "punt hard at sunny Methven"

1 hour ago, westview said:

News flash, 2 yrs ago methven lost 90,000 although that did include pulling down stand, last year 9,000 profit which was subsidized by 40,000 from farm profit. There are some exciting plans in the pipeline at methven and we did discuss putting extra money into the maiden's but unfortunately at this stage that won't happen . Racing in general is in a bad way, no news flash there, turnovers aren't good.With bulk funding there is little incentive to increase your turnover as a club which I am vehemently opposed to.One bit of good news Methven will once again run our punters competition at our meeting in October. I know some people will say why not put that money into stakes, simple the event is sponsored again by our longterm sponsor the Brown Pub and they wanted to keep the tradition going.    Make a difference "punt hard at sunny Methven"

Will you be doing any on course interviews with Mickey et al- they will attract plenty of attention just like your last one did?

Greg

The reason harness stakes for the actual placegetters are so low is because they pay stakes back to last. Traditionally in an $8,000 race the winner would get $5,200, 2nd $1,600, 3rd $800 and 4th $400. These days the winner gets $4,400, 2nd $1,080, 3rd $600 and so on, but the tail-enders all get $160. It is probably the 2nd placegetter who is most harshly treated these days.

The decision, with minimal funds available, is whether to use them to reward the winners or compensate the also rans.

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Will you be doing any on course interviews with Mickey et al- they will attract plenty of attention just like your last one did?

Greg

Sure will, going to hard act to follow and I do mean act.

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

Methven would be ok if the maiden winners got the top up.

Your so right there, I wouldn't count out Methven doing there own thing in the future.  The committee are all in favor of resuming some sort of maiden bonus when we can afford it.

36 minutes ago, westview said:

Sure will, going to hard act to follow and I do mean act.

Make sure you dont upset the dainty harness souls like you did last time. Mind you It really was a pathetic response to a bit of fun by you and Mickey and thus water off a ducks back i suspect for you both

Greg

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The reason harness stakes for the actual placegetters are so low is because they pay stakes back to last. Traditionally in an $8,000 race the winner would get $5,200, 2nd $1,600, 3rd $800 and 4th $400. These days the winner gets $4,400, 2nd $1,080, 3rd $600 and so on, but the tail-enders all get $160. It is probably the 2nd placegetter who is most harshly treated these days.

The decision, with minimal funds available, is whether to use them to reward the winners or compensate the also rans.

You raise a good point WD.    I suspect the payments for those finishing out of a place has become more common as the horse supply had dried up. Clubs are trying to encourage horses to turn up who otherwise might not.

It is a debate worth having as to which is the best way to distribute stake money.

15 minutes ago, lamour said:

You raise a good point WD.    I suspect the payments for those finishing out of a place has become more common as the horse supply had dried up. Clubs are trying to encourage horses to turn up who otherwise might not.

It is a debate worth having as to which is the best way to distribute stake money.

Addington do the met multiplier,  dunstan just introduced another scheme to get horses there , auckland money bags was worth chasing when it was there, have we gone to far catering for also rans ?. Paying driver fees is good but would I race my horse somewhere for another 100 dollars,  I don't think so,  would we go for another 1000 to the winner , yes

Just now, tim vince said:

The question is why hrnz out of funds and unable to pay the bonus.

The primary reason funds are short is because turnovers are so low. Turnovers are probably less than half what they used to be 30 years ago, and even worse on course, so it is amazing clubs are able to offer the stakes they do.

And this $1,500 bonus people talk about is just a handout to one set of connections. It does nothing to boost turnover, so really it is an inefficient use of money.

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

So is having too many staff.most horse only win one race so it  is an incentive a small one I agree to reinvest.we have to slash and burn to keep owners in the game.

The owners and breeders have had enough of very little, I hope my two horses show a little form very quickly so the can be sold to Aussie, but I very much doubt that my very well bred 10 year old mare will ever get served again. By the time the foal gets to the races, you have spent over 15000 with all the costs ,the white flag is on the pole.

21 hours ago, westview said:

Your so right there, I wouldn't count out Methven doing there own thing in the future.  The committee are all in favor of resuming some sort of maiden bonus when we can afford it.

Got enough nominations to run a 11 or 12 race card. Will they?

16 hours ago, tim vince said:

Yup and the suits keep raking it in.

There is no doubt there has been  an element of extravagance in the higher echelons of racing for quite some time. This is historical under the guidance of the old NZRB governance structure which RITA is currently dismantling. The key going forward is for McKenzie and Co to come up with a new fit for purpose structure to take the game forward and give hope to those who are currently invested

I am with you that frustration is the catchword that sums up many market participants. The day of reckoning is  the next 8 months when RITA expires and the new Gaming institution is constituted.

Greg

8 hours ago, Stables said:

Hi westview, you mention that 2 years ago Methven had a deficit of $90,000, how did they manage to face a loss of that size?

We had reserves for a planned sub division which is still a work in progress,  our farm strategy last year was alot more conservative and that has helped last years result. Financially the club is in a good position and we have a bloody good committee out there which I  enjoy being part of.