RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Baz (NZ)

Ellerslie - Great Northern Day

On 9/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Tauhei Notts said:

I see that 9th place in the Steeples at Ellerslie got $1250 in stakes.  I seem to remember that some of the well beaten horses took the short cut to the birdcage after the race in that they did not walk as far as the winning post, but waited for the winner to return to scale and left the course behind the winner at that gate about 100 metres before the finish.  Did the owners of those  horses that did not cross the finish line get their stake money?

I hope they did as the horses were totally buggered, and the jockeys involved showed care for the horses' health by taking that short cut.

Not sure I agree entirely with this TN. If the conditions of the race allot $1250 to 'all other starters' then that's fine but I don't see that a 'did not finish' should neccessarily be  paid. Doesn't happen in other sports. If the horse is knackerd, had enough or can't make the distance, the plus is, as you say "the jockeys involved showed care for the horses' health by pulling up." Just an opinion.

Blue - the guiding principle for paying stake money to horses that were pulled up is animal welfare.  We don't want to get to a point where jockeys are jumping the last couple of fences, with extremely tired horses, with the aim of earning said prize money.  In the best interests of the sport, well-beaten jumpers are best pulled up and the prize money distributed.    

1 hour ago, Auckland Racing Club said:

Blue - the guiding principle for paying stake money to horses that were pulled up is animal welfare.  We don't want to get to a point where jockeys are jumping the last couple of fences, with extremely tired horses, with the aim of earning said prize money.  In the best interests of the sport, well-beaten jumpers are best pulled up and the prize money distributed.    

There was a scandal in the UK a while ago when a couple of jockeys were banned for riding out horses "into a place" when officials considered the horses were tired and should have been pulled up; interesting can of worms.

Yes, We're Doomed - it was in the 4-mile Novices Steeplechase at the Cheltenham Festival for amateur riders.  They were banned but got off on appeal.  After what happened in that race, The Jockey Club (overseas Cheltenham), made a number of changes to the conditions of that race including shortening the distance.    Globally, the biggest issue facing racing is animal welfare - or specifically, the perception of parts of it.