We're Doomed

New Commentator

33 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, claude55 said:

Absolutely sick of these Aussie commentators. Been going on to long. Wonder why south island racing is slipping. Gives us a break. Whose behind this sabotaging S.I racing. Been at least 10+ years of pushing the mute button. This is disgraceful.

Thank you for that obviously well thought out contribution. Always good to hear the minority viewpoint in any discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, claude55 said:

Absolutely sick of these Aussie commentators. Been going on to long. Wonder why south island racing is slipping. Gives us a break. Whose behind this sabotaging S.I racing. Been at least 10+ years of pushing the mute button. This is disgraceful.

I beg to differ, our owners and us don't agree that South Island racing is slipping and I guess the $6mill+ we have won in Stakes the 5 years that Matt and I have been training in partnership supports our opinion. Fields here are generally larger and in particular Riccarton, on a decent track, is very good racing for the 23 race days they have.

If you have any idea I can't see how a commentator has any effect on your view of racing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, claude55 said:

Absolutely sick of these Aussie commentators. Been going on to long. Wonder why south island racing is slipping. Gives us a break. Whose behind this sabotaging S.I racing. Been at least 10+ years of pushing the mute button. This is disgraceful.

Congratulations! You’ve taken ignorance and stupidity to a new level!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A capable caller but it just doesn't feel or sound right. He has a strong Australian accent and it felt weird listening to him call a race at my favourite track. The guy can call - dont get me wrong but it just feels like all our horses have flown to Kyneton or Mildura for their race. Strange because MM is an Ocker but might have seamlessly fitted in because he didnt have a strong accent. I'll probably get used to it and as long as he doesnt start saying dumb stuff mid race or tip the entire field (like the potential number 1 in the South) then it should work out well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you tell me what happened to the first Aussie commentator. Then can you tell me why the last one just left. So we are going for three in a row. Insult to those who have been and those N.Z rs coming on. As you say we are doomed. And also what you are saying is the kiwi guy that this Aussie is replacing us costing S.I racing money because he's a kiwi. What flag is at your house.???????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, THE TORCH said:

A capable caller but it just doesn't feel or sound right. He has a strong Australian accent and it felt weird listening to him call a race at my favourite track. The guy can call - dont get me wrong but it just feels like all our horses have flown to Kyneton or Mildura for their race. Strange because MM is an Ocker but might have seamlessly fitted in because he didnt have a strong accent. I'll probably get used to it and as long as he doesnt start saying dumb stuff mid race or tip the entire field (like the potential number 1 in the South) then it should work out well.

I thought he sounded very clear and professional. No "early doors",  "lets bring it on", "ribbon of light", no attempt to force his own personality onto the call, just a clear accurate description of what was happening. I think a lot of commentators could learn that it is not about them being a personality, but rather about giving an accurate call. My own personal favourite for that is the Melbourne chap who I think is superb. Having said that Mark Mac was one of the few who could successfully bring some personality to his calls while still being accurate.

Someone mentioned that the new caller for Canterbury has been announced. I haven't seen it officially anywhere. Have they announced who is being sent down to call Cup Week? Surely the precedent has been set and he won't be allowed to do Cup Week with a Group 1 each day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, claude55 said:

Can you tell me what happened to the first Aussie commentator. Then can you tell me why the last one just left. So we are going for three in a row. Insult to those who have been and those N.Z rs coming on. As you say we are doomed. And also what you are saying is the kiwi guy that this Aussie is replacing us costing S.I racing money because he's a kiwi. What flag is at your house.???????

The first one died, so we can hardly blame him for that, and I thought we did bloody well to hold the last one in Canty as long as we did. And the Otago caller is effectively replacing no one as the last chap used to commute and gave up on that, so the position was vacant. 

And this will be my last response to you. I'm not sure whether you are just taking the piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I have never heard of a race caller make fun of a jockeys name. This jock ricks life and limb every time he/she gets on a horse then gets harrashed because of his last name. Then does it again still the rangiora trials. That jockey didn't look amused. Did that race commentator ask if he could make fun of this jockey to a transcript audience. Good riddance I say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, claude55 said:

How did he die. What were the circumstances and why did the last one leave what were the circumstances. 

Darryn Tyquin was killed in a car accident. Mark Mac has taken up a role back in Australia...he's been here ten years or so and did a fantastic job. Matt Cross has replaced him as the new Southern commentator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, claude55 said:

Thank goodness a kiwi up here. And what was the circumstances of the car crashing. 

Seriously , the bloke  has been gone a while . Not really got anything to do with commentators abilities now is it . Why drag him into it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now