RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dkc

Addington and acceptance fees for group races

Isn't it time for owners and trainers to stand up and boycott these races.

If everyone refused to nominate for the NZ cup then they would be forced into stopping these fees that only hurt the owners pockets

Really I can see no reason for it. Can someone please tell me why they do it?

It's totally different. The sires stake payments start when a horse is a foal. These payments are made to mainly enhance the foals value at  the sales. If you breed a foal for the sales then you basically have to pay the sires stakes payments. These races are then not counted for jewels qualification.

The New Zealand cup is a race that we want the best horses racing in.

If I owned a horse like U May Collect and say it won its first 3 races in the season just past then it starts the new season and wins its next 4. All of a sudden it becomes a horse we want in the cup but because Addington persist in charging acceptance fees for their group 1 races, It is then up for a huge late entry payment. Why? Don't we want the best starting in these races. I'm sure there are some fringe horse that aren't back at the races yet so why force them to pay a nomination fee now or hit then with a late entry payment later.

All addington are doing is making the stakes look better than they actually are and in the process costing the owners GST that most can't get back.

Owners are our life blood let's stop robbing them. 

2 hours ago, dkc said:

Really I can see no reason for it. Can someone please tell me why they do it?

Because they are greedy and arrogant. 

And don't forget everyone, GST is included in these nomination fees. The GST component within these fees is an awful waste of money. 

Auckland Trotting Club don't do nomination fees do they? For their big races. Pretty sure they don't. 

Wakey wakey, hand off snakey Addington. 

Here's an idea.

Nobody nominate for the NZ Cup.

What are they going to do. There's only one thing they can do.

Take the nomination fee away.

Force them to change.

For that proposal to work, it would need 100% buy in from connections and it would never be realistic to achieve that. 

What may be achievable is pressure put on the club by key members within the industry to scrap the nom fees, by other methods. People smarter than me may come up with something... 

Funny how Addington were over the moon with delight to announce a "media partner" for cup day... wasn't that long ago the club barred the media to the track when shit was going down with Op Inca. 

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

For that proposal to work, it would need 100% buy in from connections and it would never be realistic to achieve that. 

What may be achievable is pressure put on the club by key members within the industry to scrap the nom fees, by other methods. People smarter than me may come up with something... 

Funny how Addington were over the moon with delight to announce a "media partner" for cup day... wasn't that long ago the club barred the media to the track when shit was going down with Op Inca. 

And now he runs HRNZ

Greg

11 hours ago, Stables said:

How is it different from Breeders and owners funding the likes of the sires stakes and the yearling sales series

Sites stakes payments and the like are basically a sweepstake.   You pay up and the money gets divided between the winners & placed horses.                           With group 1 acceptance fees the money is not paid up front by the owner, it is deducted off the stake you win, therefore making the fee pointless. It is smoke and mirrors to make the stake look bigger than it really is.     Problem is it attracts a gst payment for no reason at all

So we need to put pressure on Addington to stop this.

It's not something that hrnz can force them to stop. It needs to be owner and trainer driven.

Start with the top stables. All Stars, Dunns, The connection of Tiger Tara, 

These are the ones that can put the pressure on. 

Come on Addington do the right thing!

2 minutes ago, dkc said:

So we need to put pressure on Addington to stop this.

It's not something that hrnz can force them to stop. It needs to be owner and trainer driven.

Start with the top stables. All Stars, Dunns, The connection of Tiger Tara, 

These are the ones that can put the pressure on. 

Come on Addington do the right thing!

Was it last year or the year before the horseman’s assoc put forward a remit to the annual conference that acceptance fees be abolished with a very reasoned argument. ?   It was the only remit voted down.    Apparently Addington was the main reason it was defeated. 

Earlier in the year I attended the Canty Trotting Assoc  AGM.     Under general business I suggested the association should adopt a stance of limiting acceptance fees to 1pc with a view to eventually eliminating them.   Barry Dent , Ex NZMTC president assured the meeting there were only acceptance fees on 4 group 1 races & the Met only took in 200k down from $700k in previous years from the fees This was utter B.S.  A total lie.  

I've long thought acceptance fees at Addington a ripoff for owners. We've had a horse in the Dominion in recent years and are well aware that the net "other runners" stake of  $365 is less than the class races on the same day. If your horse is unlikely to be in the first few, you are better off financially to go in a lower class race if based in the South Island or not come at all if race at Auckland where even the  "other runners"  in higher rated races get $500 on ordinary race nights. You can tell by the lack of North Island horses coming south for the big races nowadays that owners do look at the bottom line. 

8 hours ago, dkc said:

Addington said it's their business and they will run it the way they see fit 

Hence the pressure needs to come from owners and trainers

Agree that pressure needs to come from owners & trainers dkc  but not sure it would be possible to organise a boycott.  You would  need to get Allstars on board.   I think the horseman’s association needs to put their previous remit forward again to the next AGM.  Don’t give up just because it got voted down the 1st time it was put forward.        Another tactic could be to do it in parts, therefore maybe put forward a remit that group 1 races are limited acceptance fees of 1pc of the stake and group 2 & 3 races .5pc of stake.    Given the sustaining payments required to get into the Cup its a dam disgrace they deduct a the large  acceptance fee off the money the owners earn in the race. 

Here's the nomination fees

Inital nom $431.25 inclusive GST

Sustaining payment $1293.75

Starting fee $12075.00

Total $13800.00

Also ran horse in the cup get $14710

The stake for the NZ Cup is $750,000

No it's not take the acceptance fees off and with 15 starters it under $550,000

It's a disgrace that they are getting away with this BS

It won't make a difference at all, if members asked the question. The club officials have their heads stuck in the sand real good. 

I asked a question years ago at the AGM during my last year as a member... what tangible items have been done in the past 12 months, and or planned in the next few months, that are designed to retain, and or attract younger members to the club.

Jesus the silence was deafening.

Everyone barr Addington committee members seem to understand that it is a rip off.

There silence is deafening 

Pressure needs to be applied from all in this industry.

Including at conference and perhaps Garrick Knight and Jonny Turner can take up the fight!

Who on  their committee disagrees with this policy. I am sure there are numerous

I have spoken to a few comittee members, a couple of Met ones & a committee member of the ATC. (The Auckland Cup also has acceptance fees)  One on one they all admit they can’t see the sense in acceptance fees,  yet no one seems to care about questioning the wisdom of these fees with those that insist on applying them to group races.    DKC is right,  no one  is prepared to give a rational explanation of why we have them.  

Just think it's wrong. I do know people who have had horses in some of these races. As someone else stated on here they had a horse in the dominion and they would have been better off starting in a supporting race.

What's you connection stables.

Committee member perhaps. 

Owners are the most important ingredient in this industry. The last thing we need is Addington doing this to them. To be asking for nominations now before most horse that may start in the cup have hit the race track and ask for a $400 non refundable inital nomination fee is robery imho