RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Kingshill

Buyer Beware - Gavelhouse auctions (Racehorses)

Have been landed with a horse that is not a racing proposition - After it was advertised as a "racing and breeding proposition" and needs a "good track"

When I asked if it was sound for racing on I was told it was sound, but did have a tie back operation as a 2YO.

Horse is sound in limb, but when scoped here at home it's left side airway is totally collapsed - so ex owner was "economical with the truth" 

Gavelhouse have been good but ex owner not returning their calls (suprise suprise) 

Doesn't look like I have a leg to stand on  - due to not getting a scope within 72 hours - My only crime was trusting the seller too much.

Come on ex owner - do the right thing - it's not too late - Horse is here, being fed and fully rugged up.

You hit the nail on the head with your headline.I've had two similar experiences.Both bought from people who I thought were honest and turned out were not.Let's face it, there are good stories that come out of Gavelhouse Sales, like Trudeau and I have had some good buys off there of young horses that I have sold as trial winners at a later date.In a lot of cases it's a dumping ground for unwanted/problem/slow horses and it's up to the buyer to do the homework and make a call knowing the risk.

I'm still hoping the seller and his fellow owners will front up with a refund on this particular horse.... In fact I have a challenge for them..... If refund received I'll donate $1000 to the Catwalk Trust (my charity of choice) and will happily provide proof - So let's hope they come through and have something good come from this situation. 

I ve bought  probably a dozen of gsvelhouse . I always get them scoped for the sake of $150 . I stay away from tried horses now as almost all have had issues . Saying that I’ve bought a few beauties as well. I like the site overall .

18 minutes ago, Kingshill said:

Look up my Racecafe username in the results of the 5th August auction...... Seller/Part owner has also received a medal on behalf of the Queen :(

Same trainer that’s taken over Jacob McKay’s good horse ?

2 minutes ago, Kingshill said:

There were four other fellow owners in the horse..... One G C O'Connor (Trackside presenter possibly?) These owners must have been aware that they were selling a suspect horse :rcf-liar:

Have you scanned through stipes reps , previous runs , breathing issues etc . Vets records  are they available to you ?. To be fair I see your point but horses on there going for peanuts so very  likely to be issues over and above lead legs . Like the under 1000 car sales yards , except of course it is a worry where some of these poor buggers could end up.I hope the situation resolves itself for you .

8 minutes ago, Kingshill said:

There were four other fellow owners in the horse..... One G C O'Connor (Trackside presenter possibly?) These owners must have been aware that they were selling a suspect horse :rcf-liar:

Also R Lawson, is he the bowler chap who now owns a bar in ChCh.

5 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Have you scanned through stipes reps , previous runs , breathing issues etc . Vets records  are they available to you ?. To be fair I see your point but horses on there going for peanuts so very  likely to be issues over and above lead legs . Like the under 1000 car sales yards , except of course it is a worry where some of these poor buggers could end up.I hope the situation resolves itself for you .

Red Rum.... Yes, I could have done more homework and was aware of the tie back operation as a 2yo... I was told she needed a good track and that seemed plausable looking at her winter form this campaign.... The tie back operation has obviously failed at some point....and I'm sure that it wouldn't have been on the float trip down the North Island,. 

2 hours ago, Kingshill said:

I'm still hoping the seller and his fellow owners will front up with a refund on this particular horse.... In fact I have a challenge for them..... If refund received I'll donate $1000 to the Catwalk Trust (my charity of choice) and will happily provide proof - So let's hope they come through and have something good come from this situation. 

You will be avoiding lot 18 in the next auction then .

2 hours ago, Kingshill said:

Not taking sides here, but have you made direct contact with Graeme?. If not you could try that first before going any further on Racecafe. Just a suggestion.

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Red Rum.... Yes, I could have done more homework and was aware of the tie back operation as a 2yo... I was told she needed a good track and that seemed plausable looking at her winter form this campaign.... The tie back operation has obviously failed at some point....and I'm sure that it wouldn't have been on the float trip down the North Island,. 

17 minutes ago, kdt said:

Not taking sides here, but have you made direct contact with Graeme?. If not you could try that first before going any further on Racecafe. Just a suggestion.

18 minutes ago, kdt said:

No, have not made contact with the seller..... Gavelhouse are trying to on my behalf. If he's not talking to them I don't like my chances of a decent conversation.