RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
claude55

Riccarton races

Don't want to put you off going today but low level snow and rain happening no one's is going to want to stand outside. The stand that is available is going to be full. Apparently the insurance company hasn't or can't afford to pay for the old stand to be fixed. What year was the earthquake. I hope the riccarton race course as a company can sue for loss of partronage. This is a disaster and needs to be sorted. Good one Winston

Not sure it is Winston's fault. It would certainly be pretty miserable out there today though. I used to enjoy watching the National from the top level of the public stand. 

Shocking all round that almost nine years since the quake nothing has happened to that stand. And no information to the public about progress, or lack thereof. I was staggered when I went to Cup Week last year and saw there were no facilities, despite paying a considerable amount to get in.. I know of many people who visited from afar and won't be returning. And of course the ones who travel miles to get there are the actual punteres. The local kids going for a piss-up don't mind if there is no grandstand to watch the actual races; and perish the thought, bet on races at other tracks.

Once the punters get out of the habit of going, it will be virtually impossible to get them back. A whole generation of potential punters has probably been lost already.

Riccarton racecourse would be a bit of a joke if it wasn't so sad. 

What the hell is the hold up with the public grandstand? The "management" group at the club, in conjunction with their insurance company need to sort it out. Now. What's the issue? Under-insured, dispute re: engineering reports? 

Either bowl the thing and maybe replace it with an alternative or repair it. Hope it absolutely hoses down from a great height on Cup day. 

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Riccarton racecourse would be a bit of a joke if it wasn't so sad. 

What the hell is the hold up with the public grandstand? The "management" group at the club, in conjunction with their insurance company need to sort it out. Now. What's the issue? Under-insured, dispute re: engineering reports? 

Either bowl the thing and maybe replace it with an alternative or repair it. Hope it absolutely hoses down from a great height on Cup day. 

I tend to agree, it smacks of incompetence and arrogance all round. Very misleading too, luring people in on the big days, paying almost $40 I think, and when they get in the gates they find there are no facilities. I can't imagine something like this would be allowed to happen at Flemington if there was a similar calamity in Melbourne.

To be fair, the problem with the old stand ( damage to foundations)  was not discovered until fairly recently.    I agree that the lack of information about the availability of the stand was inexcusable, as was the attitude that ' only a few people were concerned '  which had to be a crock of b/s.

5 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

To be fair, the problem with the old stand ( damage to foundations)  was not discovered until fairly recently.    I agree that the lack of information about the availability of the stand was inexcusable, as was the attitude that ' only a few people were concerned '  which had to be a crock of b/s.

Raining Cup day will damage club for years . 

I thought it was a very good GN week though, got a bit of ew money on your Nathan Detroit . Looking forward backing it next time , win close .

Attended both Saturdays and a super Carnival - good winter racing

Facilities fine if a little crowded as no public area. The Balmerino Room luncheon superb value

Great two days as the Club has to work with what it has, but lack of communication about Public area the concern

Cup Week has no appeal given no public area - Members will be too packed

CJC doing well in very trying times

3 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Raining Cup day will damage club for years . 

I thought it was a very good GN week though, got a bit of ew money on your Nathan Detroit . Looking forward backing it next time , win close .

Yes, it was a good week and both Nationals were outstanding...management need to shake off complacency and show a bit of support for jumps racing however, otherwise their cash cow may depart elsewhere. 

Many visitors were not overly happy with the conditions of stabling by all accounts and comments about  'shabby' and 'run down '  were heard.

Thanks too, yes Nathan tried hard, however he has been up a long time, has learned heaps and will have a well deserved holiday now.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, We're Doomed said:

I tend to agree, it smacks of incompetence and arrogance all round. Very misleading too, luring people in on the big days, paying almost $40 I think, and when they get in the gates they find there are no facilities. I can't imagine something like this would be allowed to happen at Flemington if there was a similar calamity in Melbourne.

To be fair that’s exactly what happened last meeting at Flemington - the new stand is made for non horsey people and the cafe facilities were grossly under manned. Had to go out of members just to get served. VRC are taking a pounding from members who are being asked to pay more - for less. 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:15 AM, TurnyTom said:

Attended both Saturdays and a super Carnival - good winter racing

Facilities fine if a little crowded as no public area. The Balmerino Room luncheon superb value

Great two days as the Club has to work with what it has, but lack of communication about Public area the concern

Cup Week has no appeal given no public area - Members will be too packed

CJC doing well in very trying times

Have you attended Addington recently?

21 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Never go there have no interest in harness

I'am a gallops man through and through  but its a decent facility to be fair TT ,it's a good night out with decent group having a punt . Various food outlets not too bad either . Just wished it was gallops under lights every Friday night .

I'm not a trots fan to the extent that I would go to Addington....but, as a parochial Cantabrian,  take some pride in the positive feedback given to that venue - and equally,  want to hear good things about Riccarton. 

It's my home track, the premier club in the South Island, and of course I want it to be the best.

I am told I have been derogatory and negative,  perhaps that may seem so,  but if one can't proffer opinions in the hope that good may come from them,  what is the point in caring?

3 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

I'm not a trots fan to the extent that I would go to Addington....but, as a parochial Cantabrian,  take some pride in the positive feedback given to that venue - and equally,  want to hear good things about Riccarton. 

It's my home track, the premier club in the South Island, and of course I want it to be the best.

I am told I have been derogatory and negative,  perhaps that may seem so,  but if one can't proffer opinions in the hope that good may come from them,  what is the point in caring?

Totally agree Pam. 

I love Riccarton - great track (talking dimensions and fairness for all etc ), setting (the views first 2 days GN looking out to the Alps were stunning) and the Members stand is pretty bloody good.

But the catering isn't great often - Phar Lap Room seems to be same stuff every meeting with occasional one off dish. Downstairs a bit the same. Balmerino was ok last time I ate there but who has time to sit down for a few hours on raceday....

Wine list ordinary etc etc. 

It's not a disaster - just could be a bit better I would've thought.

Prices pretty reasonable though

4 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Have they got the money to bowl that old stand if it's condemned . At very least bowl it , grass a mound put some seating, tables etc  and bit of cover from rain and sun .They cannot have it fenced off and decaying for much longer surely .

It's a decent track for viewing , decent run home . The area in front of stands elevated enough already for view of track . It's not a lost cause by any means .