RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Boss Hogg

Jockeys managers ???

I maybe missing something in NZ but why on earth in recent years have our jockeys needed these managers?  I know there big  overseas but surely how hard is it for a jockey to ring a trainer and get a ride . They know how a horse is travelling and when they get off wouldnt you say hey can I ride it next time?  Our jockeys dont earn the same as Aussies and I would have thought any hard earned money you would not want to give it to some plonker doing what you could be doing yourself.  Organising your rides , travel ,accommodation  etc ,would be part of what you would do everyday .The percentage that you give to these people would go in your pocket.  By the time you ring these so called managers and they ring you to see if you want the mount ,and then you ring them back to see if there is another ride and they ring back to say no ,surely it would be easier to ring the trainer ?  I know Sweeeeeeny and Rodley try to make out like we are like Aussie with big bets etc but please jockeys managers !  I might be an old soldier and have missed something here.   Cheers BH

Our departed good friend Rumpole was huge in getting CWJ on track and was a huge input to where Chris is today, but he was a very different Agent, I doubt Rumpole ever thought he was an Agent rather a bloody good friend with two ears and sage advice - old Rumpers was who he was Rumpers

From what I know they spend countless  hours watching videos of races,  selecting horses for jockeys who haven't got the time to do it  and might not be same horses  they rode last time.   Also act as confidants for jockeys  in some cases like as above for Chris Johnson and try and keep them on straight and narrow     I have seen them late at night when races are long over,  taking calls from their jockeys  and analysing  every  ride that day.  They deal with some trainers who can be right    grumpy buggers and then cop it  if said trainers feel rides  haven't been up to expected.    For say  $ 10 a ride and  percentage  of stakes won,  it isn't a path to riches.   For the income personally, I wouldn't want the aggravation. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

From what I know they spend countless  hours watching videos of races,  selecting horses for jockeys who haven't got the time to do it  and might not be same horses  they rode last time.   Also act as confidants for jockeys  in some cases like as above for Chris Johnson and try and keep them on straight and narrow     I have seen them late at night when races are long over,  taking calls from their jockeys  and analysing  every  ride that day.  They deal with some trainers who can be right    grumpy buggers and then cop it  if said trainers feel rides  haven't been up to expected.    For say  $ 10 a ride and  percentage  of stakes won,  it isn't a path to riches.   For the income personally, I wouldn't want the aggravation. 

Doesn’t even sound like work :rcf-laughing-2: if your a keen punter your 80 % there :rcfe-smile:

4 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

I think your right Weasel but there is nothing wrong with that I still dont think there is a need for them .They have made a business that wasn't there.

nothing wrong at all BH ...actors, musicians, artists, sportspeople of all descriptions have managers..why shouldn't jockeys?

Look what Stu Lang did for O'Sullivan and now for Gary Grylls and Taiki.

They all improved not only with better rides but their decision making improved no end.

One of the keys to successful punting is mapping the race correctly which entails reading the jockey/trainers/managers mind.

A problem is always assessing who has the final say to how the horse is ridden.

If a jockey doesn't do the form himself he is wasting his time without a manager IMO.

There is plenty of work involved in being a good riders agent and works for many . I think you underestimate the workload and stress it takes of riders having to source their own mounts . Their are a few agents that just send out a blanket text to trainers about where their jockeys are riding which just seems like a driftnet approach and pretty lazy IMO

17 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

I think your right Weasel but there is nothing wrong with that I still dont think there is a need for them .They have made a business that wasn't there.

What is wrong is that the presenters on trackside act as jockey managers as well as 'tipping winners'.This is surely a conflict of interest,would Aiden Rodley for instance, take a ride for his client jockey as long as he DID NOT TIP said horse on air,or would he refuse the ride /opportunity for his client jockey in favour of the punting audience?We know in the past Steven Reid was putting his owners first and not being honest when tipping when he was facing the same conflict.

Any tv tipster/presenter should be seen as truthful and trustworthy as they can manipulate the tote when they lie just as much as when they tell the truth.

Any and all presenters should be sacked if they want to act as jockey managers as well as manipulating the tote with their tips,they cannot be trusted and the management of trackside tv should know better!

The fact that most, if not all, the world’s best Jockeys have Managers is your answer. As do many if not most of all top sportsmen/women for that matter. Lewis Hamilton, etc. I bet that even Stormy Daniels has a Manager. Their skills lay in performing - not negotiating contracts etc. 

9 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Where is that loser Sunloonchild on this thread...he who used to claim he was a jockey’s manager, that he acted for Cookie, and he who touted for jockeys business here on Cafe  ..... is he in hiding ?

Didn't he also claim to have been a successful jockey somewhere too????:rcfe-laughing:

12 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Where is that loser Sunloonchild on this thread...he who used to claim he was a jockey’s manager, that he acted for Cookie, and he who touted for jockeys business here on Cafe  ..... is he in hiding ?

"That he acted for Cookie"

You're lying. Nowhere did I say I accepted the offer to be his manager.

I said I turned it down. Are your comprehensive levels dropping at the same rate as your height?

You'll be thrilled to know that a recent employer asked me if it was OK to put that I was a former jockey in the bio.

His reasoning was that it would add credibility to my profile. 

We opted to tell the truth this time, however, Leo continues to lie. He also continues his sad obsession with me.

What are you afraid of Leo?