RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TimTimTimbo

Shartin

Iraklis you claim what price resulting foal from a Lazarus Shartin coupling. I’d say the interest would be lukewarm. 

To use Tettrick’s own words - she’s a freak. Shartin is by a sire who’s battling to stay commercial and is the only winner from her mother in about 5 or so foals. Lazarus was a down under champion who is unproven as a sire.

Don’t know Shartin’s complete history (whether she was bought Stateside and stopped off for some Australian racing) but she managed to win half her 13 starts in Oz. She won the Queensland Oaks and only just went down to a Mark Purdon colt in the Queensland Derby.

Her immediate family is pretty average but when you get back four generations up pop such stars as Locarno, Agrinion and Ostrava - I’m starting to get old when I can clearly remember those racing

Grit mate, you're talkin rubbish I did not 'claim' anything I 'asked' context my friend context.....Shartin is a freak, well may I remind you, so was the mighty Laz! and both of em solid (re stature) Kiwibreds with time marks in the 1.46's!!! (although Laz took his mark parked and unwell) hey, you're entitled to your opinion on the interest but I venture it'd be a lot more than lukewarm, have another look at both pedigrees dude, no Locarno etc etc but up pops Noodlum yup Noodlum!.....both of them Laz an Shartin may have humble beginnings but both of em were&are world beaters! Champions can come from anywhere! and they were bred RIGHT HERE!!!!!

Hey Eclipsed, wasn't it great seein that article on Shartin, her breeders must be over the moon good for them!!! and I concur hear! hear! to the person putting that one together :rcfe-like:

Cheers Iraklis

Iraklis you said ‘’what price the yearling ... the mind boggles.’’

it might in your little brain but the fact of the matter is Shartin has little going for her in her immediate pedigree. Tintern In America has failed down under. Shartin’s second damsire Live Or Die was hugely successful but hardly a champion sire while Save Fuel (third dam sire was another flop)

you quote Noodlum - champion young horse but didn’t make it in the siring barn. As I said you have to go back to the 70s to get the stars of this family.

you exuberance is noted but keep it in perspective please.

There’s a good saying time is only important when your in jail.

Don’t get me wrong - Shartin might be the best older pacer in North America but speculation for her progeny will be based on a lot more than that

Grit as I said I 'asked' what price the yearling the mind boggles.....you said I 'claimed' context pal! so where'd you find Locarno etc etc again? in your little brain I guess LOL I will be as exhuberant as I see fit shame you couldn't be, that said try gettin yuh facts straight in future!!!

Cheers Iraklis

In the grand scheme of things Shartin's breeding is ordinary at best, and in no way correlates with her racetrack ability. Her lack of breeding obviously hasn't stopped her being a standout freakish performer in her own right. But history tells us she won't be able to pass that freakishness on to her progeny. She's a genetic anomaly, and anomalies don't replicate themselves, no matter how much you wish it to be so Iraklis!

8 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Idolmite, is that really the best you got to add to this discussion?

Sprat, guess we'll have to wait and see then won't we.....

Cheers Iraklis

9 hours ago, JackSprat said:

You're dead right, champions can pop up anywhere. Shartin is living proof of that. Just don't hold your breath for her to leave anything in the same league!

Jack it’s amazing how once good families still have the ability for one to pop out of the box even after that family has been bastardised by poor stallion choices over several generations.

There have been any number of examples of that.

Great racehorse  sires have the ability to leave even better racehorses than themselves, however broodmares generally don’t do that because obviously they only have one progeny each year if that.

youd go back a long way to name a champion race mare that has left one better

23 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Idolmite, is that really the best you got to add to this discussion?

Sprat, guess we'll have to wait and see then won't we.....

Cheers Iraklis

If breeding was a sure thing everybody would be doing it. Many good horses come from breeding great horses with great horses, usually at great expense, however many true champions, especially in the galloping code I think where things are dominated by two or three sires, come from completely unheralded backgrounds. Think Rough Habit and Bonecrusher. I don't think Winx was exactly bred to be a champion either. She just was one. 

I was merely pointing out the opposing views above. Both cannot be correct, and we certainly won't know the answer by season's end.