RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Treat

Youngstock

As a small time owner breeder, breeding to race. Just wondering if people have progeny of some of the younger stallions, in the under $10,000 service fees, eg. Sweynesse, Rageese, Vanbrugh, Complacent, Telperion, Vespa, Wrote...... people with yearlings/ 2 year olds by any of these, are you happy with their temperaments, types, are you breeding back to these stallions? There's a lot of options this season???

We have a 2018 Complacent colt that we have just taken to Australia.His temperament is exceptional,he's well grown and is eating the house down.The truck driver commented that he's one of the nicest he's traveled stating that he walked on and off the the truck like an old hand stayed over night at their depot ate up and not a worry in the world.I must admit I am surprised at how relaxed he seems.

Mapperley Stud have certainly done a grand job with him.Maybe this sire is a real chance.Complacent was a very good race horse and highly thought of in Aust.when racing.

I have been breaking and riding thoroughbreds for over 50 years,and I still do my own track work. I also ride cutters in competition so I do know a small amount about them.I also rode on the flat and jumps for 16 years. I still do most of my own shoeing.Do you also do such work Nasrullah.

14 hours ago, jeepers said:

I have been breaking and riding thoroughbreds for over 50 years,and I still do my own track work. I also ride cutters in competition so I do know a small amount about them.I also rode on the flat and jumps for 16 years. I still do most of my own shoeing.Do you also do such work Nasrullah.

To tell you the truth I don't do any shoeing. Pay someone to do that. 

I don't ride my horses at the races. My horse trainer gets a jockey to do that.

I commented that One thing is walking on and off a truck, it can totally different when the have a jockey aboard.

Would you not agree that how a horse feels and behaves when you sit on it in a gallop is more important than walking it on and off a truck? All the horse people I talk to agree!

You should know the answer if you have been riding them for 50 years?

8 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

To tell you the truth I don't do any shoeing. Pay someone to do that. 

I don't ride my horses at the races. My horse trainer gets a jockey to do that.

I commented that One thing is walking on and off a truck, it can totally different when the have a jockey aboard.

Would you not agree that how a horse feels and behaves when you sit on it in a gallop is more important than walking it on and off a truck? All the horse people I talk to agree!

You should know the answer if you have been riding them for 50 years?

The yearling in question was removed from its paddock mates,transported to a depot in Auckland over night,transported on a plane to Australia,placed in another depot over night then transported for two and a half hours to his destination.He handled this with little fuss and tucked into feed in another strange stable immediately.He hasn't missed a feed or become upset after all this.Perhaps a little more than just getting on and off a truck.

Certainly race day is different to a training schedule and I have also found that bad handling or breaking experiences can have a profound affect on a horse in later training. I am 71years old and have actually been riding them for 57years to be exact but one thing is sure one never stops learning.My earlier breaking methods are very different to how I do the job now.Pressure, release when the horse does what one wants, is the now method with surprising results. we never stop learning in this game.

Careful and controlled track work education is so important before one sits on a horse in a gallop.

2 hours ago, Ruby said:

I've got a yearling Sweynesse colt - so impressed, athletic, moves super, lovely temperament - would go back but using another mare this season - I think he's great value! 

That's good to hear Ruby, I have a mare due to Sweynesse this season. Saw a yearling, now 2yr, filly by him a while ago that I really liked too. Thank you Jeepers, I do think it's certainly helpful, and less injuries, to horses and people, if they're nice and sane at weaning! Big trip for an unbroken horse!

20 hours ago, Berri said:

Don't forget Contributor

Think he might be out of the budget, Treat was looking for under $10k - lovely stock tho -  my mare had filly by him now in Melbourne with Ellerton Zahra so fingers crossed ;)