RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

KILLING THE GAME

We have all seen the complete lack of on course attendance and can understand why this is happening but how about betting turnover ?

I believe the TAB are alienating the betting public from the game by making it difficult to understand form , sure if your prepared to look for it its there BUT its far more difficult now than it was 6 - 7 years ago. Trial form seems to be very slow to come through but by far the biggest problem is the newspaper form or lack of it.

What we are reduced to now is a list of jockeys , draws and numbers representing past performance. No more Friday Flash , Informant etc  and just a general lack of information in written form. Couple this up with handicapping systems for both codes that nobody can understand and its a recipe for disaster for punters.

Furthermore ALL information that is available is produced by the TAB or direct and indirect employees of the TAB.............. we are helping you pick winners ..........Yeah Right !!

Trackside coverage is exceptionally good but most of those on screen that offer betting advise have a shocking success rate. Even the First Call is a disgrace from a results point of view. I wrote all the suggested bets down for a period of weeks and spent all day drawing a line through the suggested bets, and at the end of the day the piece of paper looked like a map of the London underground..

Day after day we have " Suggested Quaddie , Pick 6 , 4 picks a race 99% of which amount to nothing yet we are talking $36 , $58, $78 . $108 etc a pop hardly a positive promotion yet " they ' bob up day after day totally unaccountable for their incompetence................... YES INCOMPETENCE

Saturday morning we have the TAB bookie giving us his report on most races................ as if he is going to help you.............. YEAH RIGHT

We need independent sources of information like the old Radio Pacific so we can shove it right up the TAB  !!

At the moment all you see and hear is generated by someone directly or indirectly working for the TAB , I'd love to see the job descriptions  " To assist punters pick winners through sound and informed information " TUI AWARD :rcfe-laughing:

Dont get me stsrted on the manipulation of odds to mislead punters.

To be fair trackside has probably put the on course attendance down, only the devout followers attend now, and why would you, have your tea coffee and beer at your side,and don't even have to leave your comfy chair, I personally like to get on course and enjoy the atmosphere  when there is a meeting on, also many other things competing for your dollar, and not many of the younger generation interested, can remember years ago you would take a car full to the races, these days I can't find anyone to come with me, haven't times changed, an old fella said to me back in the eighties, the game was on a downward spiral. 

8 minutes ago, Shad said:

I personally like to get on course and enjoy the atmosphere  when there is a meeting on, also many other things competing for your dollar, and not many of the younger generation interested, can remember years ago you would take a car full to the races, these days I can't find anyone to come with me, haven't times changed, an old fella said to me back in the eighties, the game was on a downward spiral. 

Exactly right, try getting a few into a ownership syndicate, bloody near impossible now. 

I must be in a contrary mood today but I suppose what worries the most is that so many posts here demonstrate the lack of willingness of some racing people to embrace change.

Newspapers and printed publications are dying in every industry.  But it's not just that.  Punters have more information than they have every had - it's just that it's not printed.

As for the race days, sports entertainment - be it racing or rugby - has take two different paths.  A smaller number of "events" attract attendance - in rugby, tests largely sell out but even super rugby is struggling to attract attendance.  Conversely, we've never had better access to live sport or racing.

And yes Pam - a great point.  BGP shows that there is a way ahead … and I bet .01% of BGP complain about the lack of printed info because they are living in the present, not the past. 

NZ is far better served for racing information than other places. One has to laugh at UK presentation on TV excluding the Ascot, and similar carnivals. The presenter just reads off the RacingPost site and the only information for maiden races they are able to offer is the trainers stats at the track or over recent months. Oh and they love telling you about the cheek pieces. Maybe thats the only important factor they deem valuable.

There is no future for racing with bookies, Odds setters yes but the Paddy Powers, William Hills etc are a negative for racing.

42 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Instead of using the TAB site for form use the NZTR site which is far better.

There are videos of all the trials, on the day,  shortly after each heat is run.  You can't do much better than that.   

Trial form doesn’t translate to race day all that often as you well know, nothing beats the combination of trials, odds on the day and being there to see the horse in the flesh :rcfe-smile: classic example is supreme heights, I was very vocal after seeing the trial  first up only to be left with egg on my face  yet again:rcfe-happy-3:  the rest is history

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

Trial form doesn’t translate to race day all that often as you well know, nothing beats the combination of trials, odds on the day and being there to see the horse in the flesh :rcfe-smile: classic example is supreme heights, I was very vocal after seeing the trial  first up only to be left with egg on my face  yet again:rcfe-happy-3:  the rest is history

You shouldn't be too harsh on Supreme heights Gruff. Won that first trial easily on a Heavy track then on debut three weeks later ran last on a firm track at Taupo after taking on the speedster Bolt From The Blue. Won a trial at Cambridge in May on a dead 6 and then ran fifth fresh up at Te Teko on a very heavy track. Since come out and won her next two by five and a quarter lengths and six and half lengths respectively at Rotorua. So now won two from four.

I don't mind sorting them out from the trials. ;)  

The bit I don't get is the VAST gulf between the form in the Aussie papers, and ours. It makes me weep with joy to get the full form on a Friday in Melbourne, then the truncated one on the Saturday. We don't go near that level of detail. Even the colour photos and full times etc for each race the day after - mind blowing attention to detail. 

Nothing in NZ touches it. 

But yes, the internet and sites like Racenet etc provide a lot of info for sure. 

Did anyone else notice the Bet365 ads on Sky Sports today during the English football ?

Promoting betting on games....if your team goes 2-0 up, no matter what the final result is, they pay out your bet.

Sounds good to me.....;)

4 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Did anyone else notice the Bet365 ads on Sky Sports today during the English football ?

Promoting betting on games....if your team goes 2-0 up, no matter what the final result is, they pay out your bet.

Sounds good to me.....;)

They Aussie bookies do quite a lot of good specials like that NRL often has if your team leads by 12 it’s settled as a winner. 

On 8/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Daveski said:

I must be in a contrary mood today but I suppose what worries the most is that so many posts here demonstrate the lack of willingness of some racing people to embrace change.

Newspapers and printed publications are dying in every industry.  But it's not just that.  Punters have more information than they have every had - it's just that it's not printed.

Kicking and screaming into the 21st century. No choice really. Locally around here, the Dairies all dropped Best Bets in favour of the Informant. Now the Informant is gone none have brought back Best Bets. There's no print form to be had in the area. 

38 minutes ago, Uriah Heap said:

Kicking and screaming into the 21st century. No choice really. Locally around here, the Dairies all dropped Best Bets in favour of the Informant. Now the Informant is gone none have brought back Best Bets. There's no print form to be had in the area. 

Incorrect UH.

Best Bets reduced their circulation and dropped the dairies as an outlet source.