RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Koriokaramea

Anyone remember 'Styx' ?

In my pre-teen years in the mid-late '60s my favourite racehorse was a northern galloper named 'Styx'.

Followed its exploits each Saturday that it raced …. I still remember racing to the local dairy on a Thursday to buy a 'Best Bets'  to see if it was racing that upcoming Saturday. Am pretty sure it won a few races, though I can't remember over what distances. Never made a cent off it (cos the TAB wasn't big on 9 y-o punters  ! …… still aren't, thankfully ) :rcfe-happy-2:.

I think it was trained at Te Rapa ...can't recall the trainer's name or who rode it.

Anyone remember anything about 'Styx', or where I might find any information on 'Styx.'

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Koriokaramea said:

In my pre-teen years in the mid-late '60s my favourite racehorse was a northern galloper named 'Styx'.

Followed its exploits each Saturday that it raced …. I still remember racing to the local dairy on a Thursday to buy a 'Best Bets'  to see if it was racing that upcoming Saturday. Am pretty sure it won a few races, though I can't remember over what distances. Never made a cent off it (cos the TAB wasn't big on 9 y-o punters  ! …… still aren't, thankfully ) :rcfe-happy-2:.

I think it was trained at Te Rapa ...can't recall the trainer's name or who rode it.

Anyone remember anything about 'Styx', or where I might find any information on 'Styx.'

Thanks.

I can recall Styx. 

Gubellini has a set of NZ Turf Registers with all the race results and records of every horse so if he sees this he will be able to post the full details of Styx. Watch this space. 

Styx was a chestnut colt bred in 1963 by his owner Eric Davies by Syntax out of the Sajakeda mare Motion who was bred by Ngaruwahia trainer Lloyd Burdett. He raced 40 times for 9 wins. He was trained by George Smith initially at Takanini and then at Te Rapa. He won at his third start at the Paeroa meeting held at Pukekohe on the 18/12/65. At three he won the 1967 Kings Plate. His biggest win was the 1967 Foxbridge Plate beating a top class field ridden by Ron Taylor. Second was Fairfleet ridden by John Riordan and third Tatua and John Grylls with Dee Dee and Gary Edge fourth. Norm Holland won six on him and Brian Andrews, Ron Taylor and Colin Underhill one each.

Two horses I remember with fondness were Jay Ribbon and Glamis Lad, both were well performed southern horses. They both went to Trentham and won the Parliamentary and the White handicap resulting in a huge double giving me one of the best collects in my life

That's brilliant ! Thank you very much gubellini, blue, and rdytdy. Much appreciated. 

I thought he must have been a pretty handy horse, or I can't imagine I would have had the interest in him that I did at the time. 9 wins from 40 starts was pretty useful for sure.

This makes great reading, gubellini. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Stables said:

Two horses I remember with fondness were Jay Ribbon and Glamis Lad, both were well performed southern horses. They both went to Trentham and won the Parliamentary and the White handicap resulting in a huge double giving me one of the best collects in my life

I remember Jay Ribbon racing at Riccarton. At the time the press made a big deal of the connection of Jay Ribbon and Ray Ribbon. Both I believe similarly bred under ownership of C Pateman and the connection to Blenheim rings a bell.

Ray Ribbon raced in the vintage era against Rising Fast and Redcraze. I think Ray Ribbon tore off some major cup race. Could have been Cox Plate. 

Styx’s best placing was his second in the 1967 Waikato Gold Cup ridden by Colin Underhill. Janeville ridden by Brian Andrews was the winner with Foxvale and David Peake third and Sunset Fair and Ross Fisher fourth. Unplaced were some of the best stayers of that era: Fairfleet, Tatua, Ironbark, Amie, Mr Fagan, Apa, Clarendon, Bright Chief, Aqua Pura, Nurmi, Patanga and Regail.

11 hours ago, gubellini said:

Styx was a chestnut colt bred in 1963 by his owner Eric Davies by Syntax out of the Sajakeda mare Motion who was bred by Ngaruwahia trainer Lloyd Burdett. He raced 40 times for 9 wins. He was trained by George Smith initially at Takanini and then at Te Rapa. He won at his third start at the Paeroa meeting held at Pukekohe on the 18/12/65. At three he won the 1967 Kings Plate. His biggest win was the 1967 Foxbridge Plate beating a top class field ridden by Ron Taylor. Second was Fairfleet ridden by John Riordan and third Tatua and John Grylls with Dee Dee and Gary Edge fourth. Norm Holland won six on him and Brian Andrews, Ron Taylor and Colin Underhill one each.

Thanks to Thee, Sir Gub: for keeping a full set of NZ Racing Registers.

Eric Davies was such a great man for racing. As a committee man at Waikato .

In his later years he was in charge of the Winning Owners hospitality room.Right by the Weigh In Stalls.

Winning owners loved Eric's  boisterous congratulations , knowledge of their horse and excitement for their win.

He would stop the free drinks then announce

"" Your complimentary Video of your win today is about to be played.Courtesy of  Revel Somervell.

The Sponsor of your race to day was ( say ) The Waikato Times and Peter Henson ".

Eric had a  mare by Decies called " PRETTY PRECIOUS.'' .

She won at Tauranga for our Dad and Eric  with  Sir Peter Tims steering.My brother trained her.

Hi Rev. Pretty Precious won twice from 30 starts. Her first win was at Avondale on the 1/11/83 ridden by Earl Harrison. Ulster and Baz Dowling second and Shaun South and David Johnson third. Her second win was at Tauranga on the 29/12/84. A 2100m Highweight. Peter Tims the rider. Second was Special Decree ridden by Brett McDonald and third  Golden Sino ridden by Tim Wheeler.

7 hours ago, gubellini said:

Hi Rev. Pretty Precious won twice from 30 starts. Her first win was at Avondale on the 1/11/83 ridden by Earl Harrison. Ulster and Baz Dowling second and Shaun South and David Johnson third. Her second win was at Tauranga on the 29/12/84. A 2100m Highweight. Peter Tims the rider. Second was Special Decree ridden by Brett McDonald and third  Golden Sino ridden by Tim Wheeler.

Was a great ride by Pete to get her up for our dad who was in his late 80's at that time !!Thanks Jim.

I had the pleasure of  attending the Randwick autumn carnival with Eric and his wife.  Eric Davies was far and away the best racing tour host that I am ever likely to meet.  Their room became headquarters.  10 a.m. on race day was assembly for a little tummy wash and organise groups of four to get taxis to the course.  6 p.m. on race days was assembly for more drinks and organise where we are going to eat.  Eric was a veteran of the ill fated Crete campaign in 1941.  Eric told me that most of the fighting he did in World War Two was against Aussies around the bars and brothels of Cairo.

In those days at Easter, Randwick raced Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.  One year I had a bundle of travellers' cheques and went to cash them at Dominic Beirne's stand an hour before race one.  I went through all the carry on with signatures etc.  Then was told that I have AUD1000 in credit;  no cash.  After the last I went to get my AUD1090 and was given the travellers cheques plus AUD90 cash.  The man said about the travellers cheques;

"we don't want this shit."

Hi Ted. Amie was a bay filly bred in 1963 by Le Filou out of Charmian a Gold Nib mare. Jack Silson bred her. Charmian was a foundation mare for the Silson family. Jack paid 210 Guineas for her at the Alton Lodge Dispersal Sale at Trentham in January 1957. Charmian won five races trained by Pop Humprhys at Tauranga. Amie was her first foal. She raced 32 times for 8 wins. Bill Sanders trained her for Jack and his brother Bob both stalwarts of the Bay Of Plenty Racing Club. Amie was unraced at 2. At 3 she won 6 races from 17 starts. She won her second start at Cambridge on the 26/9/66 ridden by John Humphries. At her next start she won the Ascot Stakes at Ellerslie ridden by Des Wyatt. At 4 she ran 11 times for two wins. She won the Te Awamutu Cup on the 23/12/67 setting a NZ Record of 2.1.2 for the 1.25 miles. Kevin Cullen rode her. Second was Udare and Roger Lang. Third Tatua and John Grylls and fourth Pacific Prince and Des Wyatt. She raced four times at 5 and was then retired. She was sold for a then NZ record for a brood mare for $30,000 to the Mitchell Brothers of Santa Rosa Stud in Palmerston North.John Humphries, Des Wyatt and Grenville Hughes each won twice on her and Brian Andrews and Kevin Cullen one each.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Hi Ted. Amie was a bay filly bred in 1963 by Le Filou out of Charmian a Gold Nib mare. Jack Silson bred her. Charmian was a foundation mare for the Silson family. Jack paid 210 Guineas for her at the Alton Lodge Dispersal Sale at Trentham in January 1957. Charmian won five races trained by Pop Humprhys at Tauranga. Amie was her first foal. She raced 32 times for 8 wins. Bill Sanders trained her for Jack and his brother Bob both stalwarts of the Bay Of Plenty Racing Club. Amie was unraced at 2. At 3 she won 6 races from 17 starts. She won her second start at Cambridge on the 26/9/66 ridden by John Humphries. At her next start she won the Ascot Stakes at Ellerslie ridden by Des Wyatt. At 4 she ran 11 times for two wins. She won the Te Awamutu Cup on the 23/12/67 setting a NZ Record of 2.1.2 for the 1.25 miles. Kevin Cullen rode her. Second was Udare and Roger Lang. Third Tatua and John Grylls and fourth Pacific Prince and Des Wyatt. She raced four times at 5 and was then retired. She was sold for a then NZ record for a brood mare for $30,000 to the Mitchell Brothers of Santa Rosa Stud in Palmerston North.John Humphries, Des Wyatt and Grenville Hughes each won twice on her and Brian Andrews and Kevin Cullen one each.

Thanks Gubes. :rcfe-like:

J.B. Mitchell raced Heflu. He won 7 races from 58 starts. Theo Howe won two with him and Des Riordan five. Late in his career he was trained by Eric Temperton but failed to win. His biggest win was the Foley Memorial at Avondale on the 26/4/69 ridden by Bruce Compton.