crustyngrizzly

il tempo rider R.I.P.

12 posts in this topic

Noel Riordan,regular rider of Il Tempo has passed away.

Il Tempo won 2 Ak cups and a Wgtn cup as well as many other races'.

Greatest memory for me of Noel was when he won the 1970 Wgtn cup with Il Tempo and rode his brothers horse,Grizzly to win the 2nd leg.

Also rode Peterman,Tardini(Avondale Cup)Captain Jest as well as many others.

Trained a couple of winners,Pops Girl,Cashmere Lass and Joannes Joy.

He was one of 3 brothers apprenticed at Te Awamutu to Jack(mainbrace) McDONALD along with Des and John.

Great to hear a couple of old Riordan stablehands ,Mark Claydon and Andrew Stewart talking about him this morning on Trackside.

Many years ago was at Avondale and ND rode one that drew 18 over 1400 - I had $20 each way a huge bet then, 35 years ago plus, it was outside the leader after 300 yards and won by 3 lengths, I collected $1500 and my annual salary was $6500 - still feel the pain of the celebrations

Thanks ND

RIP Noel Riordan,

Rode over jumps as well , real gentleman , there will be some great stories told this week.

Noel's record could have been better too.

Miss J Edgar-Jones offered Noel the ride on Sailing Home but he already had a ride so he suggested brother John who went on to win an Akld Cup and the big International race at Te Rapa amongst many others

Noel’s first winner was Bright Morn in the Open Handicap at Rotorua on the 4/4/53. In his younger days he rode over fences. His biggest win in that role was on the Norm Crawford trained Tepeta in the Bay Of Plenty Steeplechase at Tauranga on the 24/6/61. Other notable wins not mentioned above: 1963 Clifford Plate on Dandeinee. 1965 Eclipse Stakes on Fairfleet. 1966 King’s Plate on Peterman.1971 Easter Handicap on Evenstead.

I have two mares from this family, whilst not black type horses, they have left plenty of winners. Blancpain, the best of them and all hers to race have won. 

It was witnessing Il Tempo winning the Cups that prompted me to get in the family, backed up of course by Show Gate and her wonderful deeds. I just need to breed one with a bit of the class of those two horses and I would be happy.

cheers

John

11 hours ago, gubellini said:

crustyngrizzly Koala was bred in 1946 by Ringmaster out of the Limond mare Minga. Timing was bred in 1952 by Timanova out of Minga. Minglow was bred in 1955 by Globe Of Light out of Minga. No 22 Eulogy Family.

Great stuff.

Thanks.

21 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Noel Riordan,regular rider of Il Tempo has passed away.

Il Tempo won 2 Ak cups and a Wgtn cup as well as many other races'.

Greatest memory for me of Noel was when he won the 1970 Wgtn cup with Il Tempo and rode his brothers horse,Grizzly to win the 2nd leg.

Also rode Peterman,Tardini(Avondale Cup)Captain Jest as well as many others.

Trained a couple of winners,Pops Girl,Cashmere Lass and Joannes Joy.

He was one of 3 brothers apprenticed at Te Awamutu to Jack(mainbrace) McDONALD along with Des and John.

Great to hear a couple of old Riordan stablehands ,Mark Claydon and Andrew Stewart talking about him this morning on Trackside.

I was at Trentham for that 1970 Wellington Cup win Crusty and the year prior when he finished second behind City Court and there is plenty of people who suggest he should have won the Cup in 1969 as well.

Il Tempo was certainly a great stayer finishing with strong bursts over the closing stages from back but one of his wins that will always stick in my mind was his win in the 1970 Trentham Stakes. As mentioned he always settled back and ran over the top of the field in the straight. Well he went out favourite for the race and to everyone's surprise instead of getting back he actually set the pace and led the smallish field and was still leading at the 300m.  At that point the others ran past him and he found himself last at the 200m and the crowd were stunned. But he then picked himself up again and sprinted past them all to win the race much to the crowd's delight. It was a talking point of the whole day of what had occurred.   

I was there that day too Ted. I didn't see you. 

Fantastic race. I was thinking this horse is a goner. How disappointing. Then he picked up again and raced past them to win easily. Magic. Good racing and good horses back then. 

If my memory serves me well I think the others were Campanile Proud Chief and Honour Bound. Cheers