RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

il tempo rider R.I.P.

Noel Riordan,regular rider of Il Tempo has passed away.

Il Tempo won 2 Ak cups and a Wgtn cup as well as many other races'.

Greatest memory for me of Noel was when he won the 1970 Wgtn cup with Il Tempo and rode his brothers horse,Grizzly to win the 2nd leg.

Also rode Peterman,Tardini(Avondale Cup)Captain Jest as well as many others.

Trained a couple of winners,Pops Girl,Cashmere Lass and Joannes Joy.

He was one of 3 brothers apprenticed at Te Awamutu to Jack(mainbrace) McDONALD along with Des and John.

Great to hear a couple of old Riordan stablehands ,Mark Claydon and Andrew Stewart talking about him this morning on Trackside.

Many years ago was at Avondale and ND rode one that drew 18 over 1400 - I had $20 each way a huge bet then, 35 years ago plus, it was outside the leader after 300 yards and won by 3 lengths, I collected $1500 and my annual salary was $6500 - still feel the pain of the celebrations

Thanks ND

RIP Noel Riordan,

Rode over jumps as well , real gentleman , there will be some great stories told this week.

Noel's record could have been better too.

Miss J Edgar-Jones offered Noel the ride on Sailing Home but he already had a ride so he suggested brother John who went on to win an Akld Cup and the big International race at Te Rapa amongst many others

Noel’s first winner was Bright Morn in the Open Handicap at Rotorua on the 4/4/53. In his younger days he rode over fences. His biggest win in that role was on the Norm Crawford trained Tepeta in the Bay Of Plenty Steeplechase at Tauranga on the 24/6/61. Other notable wins not mentioned above: 1963 Clifford Plate on Dandeinee. 1965 Eclipse Stakes on Fairfleet. 1966 King’s Plate on Peterman.1971 Easter Handicap on Evenstead.

I have two mares from this family, whilst not black type horses, they have left plenty of winners. Blancpain, the best of them and all hers to race have won. 

It was witnessing Il Tempo winning the Cups that prompted me to get in the family, backed up of course by Show Gate and her wonderful deeds. I just need to breed one with a bit of the class of those two horses and I would be happy.

cheers

John

21 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Noel Riordan,regular rider of Il Tempo has passed away.

Il Tempo won 2 Ak cups and a Wgtn cup as well as many other races'.

Greatest memory for me of Noel was when he won the 1970 Wgtn cup with Il Tempo and rode his brothers horse,Grizzly to win the 2nd leg.

Also rode Peterman,Tardini(Avondale Cup)Captain Jest as well as many others.

Trained a couple of winners,Pops Girl,Cashmere Lass and Joannes Joy.

He was one of 3 brothers apprenticed at Te Awamutu to Jack(mainbrace) McDONALD along with Des and John.

Great to hear a couple of old Riordan stablehands ,Mark Claydon and Andrew Stewart talking about him this morning on Trackside.

I was at Trentham for that 1970 Wellington Cup win Crusty and the year prior when he finished second behind City Court and there is plenty of people who suggest he should have won the Cup in 1969 as well.

Il Tempo was certainly a great stayer finishing with strong bursts over the closing stages from back but one of his wins that will always stick in my mind was his win in the 1970 Trentham Stakes. As mentioned he always settled back and ran over the top of the field in the straight. Well he went out favourite for the race and to everyone's surprise instead of getting back he actually set the pace and led the smallish field and was still leading at the 300m.  At that point the others ran past him and he found himself last at the 200m and the crowd were stunned. But he then picked himself up again and sprinted past them all to win the race much to the crowd's delight. It was a talking point of the whole day of what had occurred.   

I was there that day too Ted. I didn't see you. 

Fantastic race. I was thinking this horse is a goner. How disappointing. Then he picked up again and raced past them to win easily. Magic. Good racing and good horses back then. 

If my memory serves me well I think the others were Campanile Proud Chief and Honour Bound. Cheers

On 7/31/2019 at 6:20 AM, John Clydesdale said:

I have two mares from this family, whilst not black type horses, they have left plenty of winners. Blancpain, the best of them and all hers to race have won. 

It was witnessing Il Tempo winning the Cups that prompted me to get in the family, backed up of course by Show Gate and her wonderful deeds. I just need to breed one with a bit of the class of those two horses and I would be happy.

cheers

John

A broodmare on Gavelhouse has Timing as its 3rd dam.

OFF the Hip,has a foal at foot by Unusual Suspect.

cheers

John

The Eulogy family, from memory Bruce Lowe No22 was prolific and produced many great horses. All the best to you John, persistence will eventually be rewarded!

cheers

John

I'm pretty sure it was Blancpain that was an entry in a Sth Island sale one year,  in the untried stock section.  H.C Greenwood, an owner of mine at the time,  was very keen on her because of the Eulogy connection...however,  as he was elderly and in failing health at the time,  we both felt that breeding stock was probably not where he should be looking.

She took time, and had her leg issues,  but turned out to be a grand performer for you as I recall.

I bred Blancpain and I was a great fan of Il Tempo who I think was one of the greatest 2 milers we have ever seen. His feet were as large as dinner plates. Another mare from the family which I bred has a last start winner at Tauranga tomorrow. Unfortunately I did not realise that she was having her previous start when she paid $18.90 but hope to get plenty back tomorrow.

3 hours ago, tim vince said:

We're they better horses or am I imagining cos I m getting old.

They provided better racing because the same horses went around for several years and remained competitive. I listened to 5 or 6 of those races that Slam Dunk put up and enjoyed them all, and many horses overlapped each year. One little thing I noticed was how Peter Kelly's calls suddenly went from furlongs to metres the moment metrics were introduced. Saved me doing the quick conversion in my head. 

We don't quite get that overlap between the Melbourne Cup and Wgtn Cup these days. I did enjoy Peter's comment about Silver Knight "no chance" and then a few hundred metres later 'he's only 5 lengths off them". Shades of Bill Collins.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:47 PM, We're Doomed said:

We don't quite get that overlap between the Melbourne Cup and Wgtn Cup these days.

My guess being due to the imports in the Melbourne cup there is a huge "Class" divide between the two races now, which also translates to hardly any NZ bred/trained horses qualifying for the Melbourne cup.