RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Where were you When Shady Deal became Torbek ?

April 18 th 1979.

Read this and remember the Magic of Alan Lesley JONES.

Post your memories  here .

When I read them I will print them off and show him next week .

He does not have internet or i phone.( Linda told me )

Add your memories of Alan and Linda's contribution to your llfe.

( Linda Rocket Ballyntyne, , Shirley Hunter , Richie Fallon. James McDonald, Catherine  Tremayne... )

https://weekendking.com.au/2015/12/12/shady-deal-cunning-kiwi-lands-massive-plunge-on-debutant-in-oz/

I understand the Bookie  Bruce McHugh   didn't field  again for 18 months.

On the day of the race, a group of informed Melbourne punters flew to Sydney, set to plunder the big interstate bookmakers fielding at Randwick. Local bookmakers thought little of Torbek’s chance of winning the maiden, and opened him as long as 25/1 ($26). A string of big bets were struck in Sydney at odds of 16/1 ($17)

Full story here about Alan's plan. 18 thApril 1979.

https://weekendking.com.au/2015/12/12/shady-deal-cunning-kiwi-lands-massive-plunge-on-debutant-in-oz/

I was living in Melbourne at that time and Torbek paid for quite a few bean bags and a 14” colour tv for my new home! He was good to me. Wayne Walters now training from Sale (Vic) having moved from Mt Gambier (SA) a year or so ago. No money in MT Gambier and Sale offers many options closer to Pakenham, Cranbourne, Sandown etc